Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charleston vs Savannah
Charleston, South Carolina 21 58.33%
Savannah, Georgia 17 47.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM

937 posts, read 864,745 times

Advertisements

Which city do you think has the most beauty and culture out of the two??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Uhhh...ummm...one has an aquarium.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
LOL, Charleston gets my vote.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Hahaha. Too funny. You don't know what you are missing in Charleston.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
As far as culture goes... I cannot comment. I am more of a Bud Light at a joint with sticky floors kinda guy. The opera and theater just ain't my cup of tea. Give me neon. With that in mind I like Savannah's liberal drinking policy (toting drinks from dive to dive), but as far as beauty, I think Charleston wins hands down. Although very similar, the architecture of the older buildings in Charleston have more flare and style in my opinion. The ally's in Charleston have actual style... the ally's in Savannah are flat out spooky. My two cents.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
Charleston is pretty great also Mrytle Beach.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Charleston. I love Savannah, also, and think it's a fabulous city, but there's just something a little less...formal...about Charleston, in a good way. I always feel like I'm in Hawaii on the east coast there with the friendliness and general vibe.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
There's no comparison - Charleston wins hands down.

I had visited Charleston maybe 4 times before I had the opportunity to go to Savannah. I called the Savannah tourism office and asked the older woman who answered about some "must see" things. I had told her I had been to Charleston, and her comment was, "Oh, if you liked Charleston... you'll LOOOOOOOVE Savannah!".

Long story short - um.. no. Park the car in Savannah, get out, and see a bum peeing on the side of a building. Get to the River Street area, and see two more bums asleep in a sitting area, and a group of gangsta wannabes walking by yelling "MF" at each other as loud as they can. Um... HELLO! I can go downtown to Five Points HERE and see that and not waste the gas!

River Street was ok I guess, but much smaller of an area than brochures and tourism shows would make you think, and with a lovely view of storage silos across the river covered with gang graffiti. Nice. Now, if you're into photography, Savannah architecture is a bit different than that in Charleston (which is also great in style), but with the parks or "squares", you can get some good photos.

So if you're a serious shutterbug, sure, a day in Savannah would make you happy. For tourism, personally speaking, I didn't think it was worth the drive. Charleston on the other hand is just has historic, but with LOTS more to see and do, and has a more lively and vibrant feel to it. And in the historic district - gasp - no bums, no gangstawannas, and no graffiti or heck, even street trash.

Sorry. Not trashing Savannah. It's just that on it's own, sure, it's sorta interesting, but if you ask to compare it to Charleston... well..

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Charleston. I love Savannah, also, and think it's a fabulous city, but there's just something a little less...formal...about Charleston, in a good way. I always feel like I'm in Hawaii on the east coast there with the friendliness and general vibe.
Charleston less formal than Savannah??
Charleston is very formal and obsessed with etiquette and good manners. Savannah is more casual and more seedy (in a new orleans kind of way)..
Charleston is more Disney...Savannah is more Vegas.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
This 'comparison' thing gets so tedious...they're both great cities. Think of them as sisters that you both like...attractive in their own way; you might want to marry one more than the other, but want to get to know them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia