Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:23 PM

20 posts, read 66,240 times

Advertisements

I have to leave Georgia. Personal reasons have forced me to have to go back home to the Pacific NW. I've been in Georgia since 2005 and after 6 years of living here, I very happily consider myself a Southerner now. And it's with a sense of pride that I say that. I don't want to live anywhere else! I absolutely love the people here and I love living here. My one question for this personal posting is how many people out there who have moved here from other places feel this way too. I've read postings on this web site (mostly the northern ones) and they bad mouth the south so badly and they're not even respectful or nice about it. I bite my tounge when I read them. They don't know true Southerners. And I do! And I wish I could stay here the rest of my life. I'm already sad now and I haven't even had to get on the plane yet. Miss you already... and I hope to see you again soon.

Last edited by SevenMile; 10-15-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,860 times
Hi!

Yes, I feel the EXACT same way. I lived in Atlanta Metro for 6 years, but for family reasons, decided to move back to the Midwest in '07.

I MISS ATL everyday like crazy, but after being away going on 5 years, through the grace of God, we will be in a great position to move back next summer. I'm looking for townhouses right now.

It always felt like home to me, hard to explain, but I know exactly where you're coming from!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:53 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Well, I up and moved us from Georgia back to Florida in 2010, and boy do I regret it!

The cost of living in Florida is so much more than GA, and by golly, our politics make GA's look downright progressive.

There are a lot of "pros" to living in GA and I should not have been so quick to dismiss it.

I can only imagine how lovely the fall colors are up there right now. Not here.. we're looking at another 80 degree Halloween where we are swarmed by mosquitoes. Not my cup of tea.

We're going to make one more move to a location that is TBD. The economy makes moving a lot more difficult now, but not impossible.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Well, I up and moved us from Georgia back to Florida in 2010, and boy do I regret it!

The cost of living in Florida is so much more than GA, and by golly, our politics make GA's look downright progressive.

There are a lot of "pros" to living in GA and I should not have been so quick to dismiss it.

I can only imagine how lovely the fall colors are up there right now. Not here.. we're looking at another 80 degree Halloween where we are swarmed by mosquitoes. Not my cup of tea.

We're going to make one more move to a location that is TBD. The economy makes moving a lot more difficult now, but not impossible.
Yes, colors are coming along beautifully, and we have the threat of frost this week......Love it here.........

Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenMile View Post
I have to leave Georgia. Personal reasons have forced me to have to go back home to the Pacific NW. I've been in Georgia since 2005 and after 6 years of living here, I very happily consider myself a Southerner now. And it's with a sense of pride that I say that. I don't want to live anywhere else! I absolutely love the people here and I love living here. My one question for this personal posting is how many people out there who have moved here from other places feel this way too. I've read postings on this web site (mostly the northern ones) and they bad mouth the south so badly and they're not even respectful or nice about it. I bite my tounge when I read them. They don't know true Southerners. And I do! And I wish I could stay here the rest of my life. I'm already sad now and I haven't even had to get on the plane yet. Miss you already... and I hope to see you again soon.
Sure sounds like your move away from Ga is going to be temporary as some one who likes a place that much wont be gone for long.
Heres something to keep in mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3clB...eature=related

Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sure sounds like your move away from Ga is going to be temporary as some one who likes a place that much wont be gone for long.
Heres something to keep in mind

RAY CHARLES "Georgia On My Mind" - YouTube

Very Nice!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenMile View Post
Glad you loved it here, come back soon! We miss you too!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
I miss Georgia sometimes, but I have to admit I love where I live now (Dallas/Ft. Worth metro). I think a big part of that though was my family's mindset going into the move. We were all very excited about the move to Texas. When I was a kid I moved around a fair bit and I know it's hard to make the move when you're not excited about it. If Georgia is the place for you, then I hope you find a way to make it back some day and good luck in the Pacific NW. I know you can't really force your feelings about a place, but try to stay positive and it won't be so bad.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
I'm in GA for the 2nd time in my life (moved to Atlanta 2000~2004 for a job, met my wife, just back May of 2011). The first time I didn't notice that it was any better or worse than anywhere else, well it was better than Phoenix (only place I've hated living). Too early this time.

Since I was born and raised in Wyoming, I'm never going to love the closed in feeling (trees close off the horizon), the "mountains" here are.. well, sad (and a 3 hour drive north of me instead of right out my window), and there are just TOO many people. It's rather unfortunate, but I notice non-stop racism, in Both directions, at every turn as well. It's the most major thing that makes me uncomfortable while living here.

But I'm here for life now... or at least the life of my wife (who's only 33... I suspect I'll be here for awhile). It's home, but not where I'd be living if it were entirely up to me. Still, one has to make the best of where they are, so I'm pursuing volunteer opportunities and generally trying to get involved here.

I just miss being able to drive 90 minutes and then having a short 30min hike to Wilderness (no human touch)...

http://gallery.darladog.com/d/5389-2/IMG_3424.JPG (broken link)

Or 30 minutes and a 10 minute walk:

http://gallery.darladog.com/d/5220-1/IMG_2986.JPG (broken link)

Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM

20 posts, read 66,240 times
Hey Sirrob!
Yes, it “IS” hard to explain. You can only know this from living here. I can’t explain it in words either. It’s the way you feel when you’re here. J

And Jambo101..
“Sounds like you’ll come back”. Yeah, in a heart beat. I don’t understand why people who move here want to try and make it where they just came from. If it’s not for you, then go back. I’d stay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia