Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,956 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to move from the south side of Atl to the north side sometime in December. We're interested in the Cherokee / Bartow County areas. Our main concern is finding somewhere safe with not much traffic, but convenient enough to Atlanta (My job's on Powers Ferry). Love downtown Canton but visted recently and noticed it was predominantly hispanic. Ideally we'd love to live in a historic district. We'll be renting for at least a year or so until we find the right place. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 01:40 PM

606 posts, read 2,000,280 times
Do you have something against hispanics ?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Personally, not at all, but I'm sure the property value around this area is taking a plummet. And whether hispanic or not, the housing that we saw was pretty shoddy.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM

One more thing, this is not a debate. I was asking for suggestions on areas to live. Unless you have any helpful information, move along.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,300,665 times
If you want a historic district and something close to Powers Ferry, Woodstock is your best bet of the towns you listed. Holly Springs is in the process of "creating" a downtown district to accentuate the historic homes nearby, but it'll take a while for that to come together (I sit on the Historic Preservation board in Holly Springs, and we're having a planning charrette on the 18th). Cartersville is too far out, and you'll hate the commute (though it does have a nice historic district).

I agree that Canton needs some help- there's alot of great homes in/around downtown, but as much as I hate to say it, the large hispanic population isn't helping the town at the moment. While there doesn't seem to be a big crime problem or anything, they do tend to live in some pretty ratty accomodations, and the only two schools in Cherokee County that didn't make AYP this year are the elementary and middle school that the downtown area feed into, and alot of the reason was because some of the "special populations" (read ESL) didn't cut it. I don't know how, but if Canton wants to see its downtown district grow, they need to get something else to draw people other than the courthouse, and they need to clean up the side streets nearby.

Anyway, there's tons of housing stock available, and the prices are still pretty good. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM

247 posts, read 1,287,271 times
Like BobKovacs said, the historic area is in need of some "revitalizing" if you would like to move to Canton and rent, I would recommend staying away from the downtown area. There are tons of rentals in great subdivisions that you might like. My s/o works on Powers Ferry in Marietta too and it takes him about 30 minutes (not bad by GA standards) and we live in Canton. If you lived in Woodstock, you would be much closer to your work, but I wouldn't move to that Historic distict either.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:17 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,825,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If you want a historic district and something close to Powers Ferry, Woodstock is your best bet of the towns you listed. Holly Springs is in the process of "creating" a downtown district to accentuate the historic homes nearby, but it'll take a while for that to come together (I sit on the Historic Preservation board in Holly Springs, and we're having a planning charrette on the 18th). Cartersville is too far out, and you'll hate the commute (though it does have a nice historic district).

I agree that Canton needs some help- there's alot of great homes in/around downtown, but as much as I hate to say it, the large hispanic population isn't helping the town at the moment. While there doesn't seem to be a big crime problem or anything, they do tend to live in some pretty ratty accomodations, and the only two schools in Cherokee County that didn't make AYP this year are the elementary and middle school that the downtown area feed into, and alot of the reason was because some of the "special populations" (read ESL) didn't cut it. I don't know how, but if Canton wants to see its downtown district grow, they need to get something else to draw people other than the courthouse, and they need to clean up the side streets nearby.

Anyway, there's tons of housing stock available, and the prices are still pretty good. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Canton needs to get tough with its illegal Mexican population, arresting them for being in violation of U.S. immigration law. If Canton doesn't get ahold of it within the next year or two, I'm afraid that the town will be lost. It has a chance to survive, but being politically correct will destroy it, much like has already occurred to Gainesville and Dalton.

These "Hispanics" are always going to be a dreg on society, if they stay, as they're very uneducated, many are illiterate, and their culture is entirely incompatible with that of the area residents.

Most of Canton is still decent, as long as you stay away from the immediate downtown area. That tends to be where they have created their own little barrio, in the areas surrounding Waleska Road and Marietta Road (Not Marietta Highway) closest to downtown.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Canton needs to get tough with its illegal Mexican population, arresting them for being in violation of U.S. immigration law. If Canton doesn't get ahold of it within the next year or two, I'm afraid that the town will be lost. It has a chance to survive, but being politically correct will destroy it, much like has already occurred to Gainesville and Dalton.

These "Hispanics" are always going to be a dreg on society, if they stay, as they're very uneducated, many are illiterate, and their culture is entirely incompatible with that of the area residents.

Most of Canton is still decent, as long as you stay away from the immediate downtown area. That tends to be where they have created their own little barrio, in the areas surrounding Waleska Road and Marietta Road (Not Marietta Highway) closest to downtown.
I don't know much about Canton specifically, but if these folks are here legally, then they can live wherever they want and let's hope they add to the community. If they are here illegally, then they're criminals and should be deported. This country has to start getting serious with this problem.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,300,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't know much about Canton specifically, but if these folks are here legally, then they can live wherever they want and let's hope they add to the community. If they are here illegally, then they're criminals and should be deported. This country has to start getting serious with this problem.
I've mentioned this before- Cherokee County tried to start cracking down on the problem of illegals by passing a law that required landlords to check the citizenship of potential renters. The ACLU came in and shut it down and got the law repealed.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The ACLU came in and shut it down and got the law repealed.
Not surprised. The "Anti-Constitutional Lawyers Union" is always out there taking stances against US law and the interests of the public. They have moved so far left and become so political that their initial mission, to preserve the bill of rights, has been lost in the haze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia