Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:32 AM

21 posts, read 67,690 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me information on greene county. We are looking to possibly move there and would like some info on schools and employment rate of growth. Want a small and I mean smal town atmosphere to raise my kids. any help would be apppreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 03:37 PM

40 posts, read 205,099 times
I live in Greene Cnty, at Lake Oconee - Reynolds Plantation. I've got no good news for you on schools. I have no school age children, so cannot speak from experience. Advertised graduation rate for Greensboro is in 70's percentile, which I don't view as good. I hear better things about Union Point schools, which is a community in Greene Cnty.

Growth is good. It is a beautiful area, lots of rolling land, farmland. Greensboro is a small southern town experiencing some nice revitalization. We're only 1 hr from Univ of GA. You may want to consider Watkinsville. It's about 40 mins from Greensboro, very close to Athens (Univ of GA), has terrific schools. Great little community, lots of art/artisans in area.

Where are you coming from?

Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 AM

Thanks, We Were Looking At Union Point Area And We Would Like To Start Our Own Business In The Area. We Are Licensed Pool Contractors In Florida Thought The Growth In The Area Might Be Able To Support A Company Like Ours Any Thoughts On This. THE GRADUATION RATE HERE STINKS TO HOPEFULLY IT'S WHAT YOU INSTILL IN YOUR CHILDRN NOT THE SCHOOL.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Lots of rocks and clay. It'll be very different from Florida, that's for sure. LOL

Old 01-30-2007, 05:19 AM

thanks for your input ellie is it really that rocky there? I would have thought it would be further north. We fellin love with the small real downtowns around there. Hacve had enough of a walmart and publix every three miles and the traffic and people that come with it both of us grew up in small towns and want it for our kids. I would love to know my neighbors and I don't want my kids to hav to wear a picture id to school so their teachers can tell them from the drug dealers on campus. Thats what has happened to our little town.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 AM

sorry for all the misspelling new keyboard and it's apparently a little stiff guess i need to slow down

Old 01-30-2007, 07:35 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Default rocks and red clay

I lived a few miles north of there in Arnoldsville and explored the area extensively. Union Point is still in the piedmont and is therefore less sandy and far more rocky than the coastal plain. Sometimes you will see gigantic boulders just sitting on the ground in cow pastures.

My experience with new development there is a bit dated. Greene Co. used to be one of the least populated counties in the state due to large landholdings by a few people and the national forest. It was famous for its poverty. Things may have changed, but Greene County is still pretty far from a large center of population which would draw major development and the wealth necessary to own and maintain swimming pools.

People on this forum have spoken favorably about Thomson, GA which is near Union Point, and also about Americus, which is in SW Georgia. You will still have red clay to contend with...

Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 AM

thanks again for the info have a friend looking at union point and would be a fairly easy commute from greene. We live in a rural (whats left of it) area now and commute 30 to 50 miles to jobsites (1 to 1 1/2 hrs.) in our traffic. We just don't want to live on top of our neighbors we have 5 acres and thats as close as I can take. Like the big developments in someone elses back yard but like them because of the income they generate. Guess it makes me a hipocrite. I think we can deal with the red clay can't be much worse than what we call hardpan (need an ax to dig a trench) Do you know much about morgan county schools vs. greene county

Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 AM

141 posts, read 981,624 times
Greene County is a place of contrast. There is the Reynolds Plantation super-rich area, and then there's the rest of the county.

The rest of the county, except for the old money, is very poor. The schools are not that great, and many people of any wealth at all send their children to Nathaniel Greene Academy. In fact, there is a bus that takes kids from Reynolds north on the 35 minute drive to Athens Academy in Watkinsville every day.

That being said, Greensboro is beautiful, and there's plenty of countryside to enjoy. There is also all of the national forest land to enjoy, and they have a new airport.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Thanks For The Info. Kind Of Scary To Leave Where You've Lived All Your Life To Get What You Had. If That Makes Any Sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia