U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,944 times

Advertisements

Please tell me what area's are horse friendly in Georgia. I am looking for a area that has horse property 15 -30 acres fenced with a nice home and horse facilities that is still reasonable in price, if that is still possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 05:26 AM

40 posts, read 190,429 times
You can check out Greene County, Putnam County, Morgan County, Union Point, Watkinsville, Washington, Farmington. These areas are horse country. You can still find home and land reasonably priced. Not sure if you're looking for property in a development or not, but there are a couple of gated communities that have horse facilities. You can check out Waters Edge and BriarRose. One real estate site, removed, might give some help...

Last edited by xxman777; 01-27-2007 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Commercial Link

Old 01-27-2007, 07:24 AM

41 posts, read 194,997 times
there's on called carmichel farms in woodstock or cumming i think it's what your looking for check it on on there site

Old 01-27-2007, 04:02 PM

328 posts, read 776,971 times
Thomson Ga without a doubt.Thomson-mcduffie.com

Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
cKc

3 posts, read 46,336 times
There is a new Horse community about 7 miles from my house. It's in Monroe County and it is called The Riata: http://www.riatahomes.com/ (broken link) This site should have information for you.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:47 AM

726 posts, read 3,350,968 times
Conyers has The Georgia International Horse Park. Since opening its gates in September of 1995, the Park was the equestrian venue for The 1996 Centennial Olympic Games.
http://www.georgiahorsepark.com/

Old 01-28-2007, 04:49 PM

328 posts, read 776,971 times
Thomson Ga has pine top farm that was also part of the olympics

Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 AM

283 posts, read 1,108,215 times
As far price for what you get go to Hawkinsville, but the Riata in Monroe County is very nice.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,239,028 times
It will depend upon first what you call reasonable. And what kind of horse activities you are into?

If trail riding is your thaing...NE GA near lots of BLM and National Forest trails.

Dressage...Alphretta area has in the past been the area, however, land prices have skyrockeded and the only show venue is antiquated. Most shows are at Chateu Elan, Chickopee Woods, The International Horse Park. The Athens area Sporthorse Association is growing big time, these are all on the NE side of GA.

3-Day Eventing, S.C. is the place (they have recognizeds shows) so the closer you live the better. My neighbor is a pro and she said the commute from the Athens area is quick and easy. The Athens Area Sporthorse Association has many many 3-phase schooling shows that they share with the Dressage folk.

Hunter/Jumper - Alphareta is the biggie, with Athens area for schooling shows.

Fox Hunting - Shakerag Hunt is located in in Madison county North of Athens.

Reining - Mostly Perry right now but from what I gather they are starting to have a few shows at the "Horse Park".

Breed Shows - I don't know much about most, but I do know Chicopee Woods in Gainesville, hosts an Arabian, Paint, Paso Fino and TWH shows. Also, they have the clinic things like Clinton Anderson (I went last year and it was good) Also, check the Horse Park, they do have breed shows there also.

Perry Georgia has a huge Ag complex that hosts many stock shows through out the year. It also hosts a big Equine Fair every spring. And a variety of other equine related events.

I also know that driving clubs are starting to pop up in the area.

There are many gaited equine communities in North GA, but you will pay thru the nose for those. You can certainly get more bang for your buck just getting a horse property or land and do it the way you want it. I will warn you though be VERY careful about buying your horse property. Check zoning laws for EACH county and if you have found what you want make sure it is zoned correctly and go to the planning and zoning office in that county to make sure you can do what you want.

I won't bore you with some of the problems friends have had in differnt counties re, where and if you can have a barn how many horses ect. If you have any questions you can pm me.

My background interests have been dressage and trail riding. My trainer who lives "next door" is a Dressage and 3-day person. But she also taught the kids in our county thru 4-H and FFA for many years and worked with both western and english environments. She is a life long GA resident so she has kept her eye on the Equine environment.

Georgia's 4th largest industry is Equine Related, but the laws of this state do not help the small farmer much.

Moderator cut: removed

Good luck in your quest

Last edited by xxman777; 02-18-2007 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Advertising not allowed outside of classifieds

Old 12-30-2008, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,534 times
Default Looking for horse community

I live in an equestrian enclave in Barrow County. Currently there are two properties up for sale. One is 25 acres, has an old brick ranch in dire need of work. The barn however, is a show place. It also has an arena. The other place has 30 acres. It's an interesting place. The house actually sits atop the barn. In addition to the arena there is a little rental cottage on the property. There are also several houses for sale that have 5 acre tracts.

Let me know if you are interested or know someone who is interested. We are trying to keep this area for horse people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or