Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 09:02 AM

9 posts, read 29,822 times

Advertisements

Looking for info about what it's like living in Oconee county. We're thinking of relocating there from CA. We're also interested in Athens, but heard that the schools aren't as good as Oconee county's. Also, is Oconee a 'dry' county? I thought I read something about an alcohol ordinance there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM

18 posts, read 183,316 times
I don't live there but know that Oconee Co. has excellent school. However, Athens is a diverse and interesting town because of the university. Oconee is more rural but also suburban. Athens has a downtown and much around the university to keep one busy.

Keep in mind, that the Southern lifestyle, even in a university town, and the CA lifestyle are quite different. Hope you will learn to appreciate both.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I can't tell you about schools because all my children have four legs There are several private schools in the area.

Much of Oconee county is still rural but is a 10-20 min trip to Athens depending on where you are in the county. It is one of 5 counties that surround Athens...Jackson, Barrow, Oconee, Oglethorpe and Madison. Oconee is the most developed near Athens, Barrow and Jackson have the I-85 interstate running thru them so there development tends to be along that corridor. Oglethorpe and Madison are the least developed as they have no major highways just state roads and are only developed near Athens.

I know Oconee has been on several 'most desirable places to live' lists. So they are having quite a boom right now and property prices are skyrocketing.

I'm over there quite often because of work and the horse shows that farms put on and I'm one of the "horsey set". It's a very nice county to live in.

We do have "blue laws" as far as selling alcohol is concerned and it varies from county to county. I have shoped in the Publix in Oconee county and they do sell beer and wine. NO sales on Sunday anywhere in the state (I think some counties allow sales in restrants), although there is a bill in front of the legislature to change that. I doubt it will pass, this is part of the "bible belt".

I would suggest visiting the area, you will be in for quite a culture shock moving from CA to here. They/we speak southern here and the lifestyle is different. If you stay close to Athens you will find a more "cosmopolitan" atmosphre but flavored with a southern 'tude

Old 04-08-2007, 02:07 AM

81 posts, read 350,329 times
Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 081306 - Story updated at 11:48 PM on Sunday, August 13, 2006
"LAST WEDNESDAY

Watkinsville City Council

At its regular meeting, the council:

• Approved an ordinance to allow by-the-glass sales of beer and wine at restaurants in the city, effective Jan. 1. The ordinance establishes fees of $1,000 to buy a beer and wine license, sets regulations for that license and creates a per-bottle tax on beer and wine of 5 cents for a 12-ounce bottle of beer and 22 cents for a liter of wine."

Alcohol can now be served by the glass inside the Watkinsville City Limits.

Here is a link to an article with the website address for the GA School Report Card Site and to the individual counties website: http://activerain.com/blogsview/5650...nd-Surrounding

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia