Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 AM

193 posts, read 812,789 times

Advertisements

OldHouses.com - 1850 Colonial - Colonial Style, Georgia: GREAT PRICE REDUCTION in Abbeville, Georgia
I came across this listing and am curious if any of you who may live in the area might know why it is listed at only $74,000? Is it just because it's in a small town or is there some other less well known reason? I was curious because while I do see later historic homes that are in disrepair selling for a low amount in different states, this one appears to be in pretty decent shape. Well, there's also a slightly weird something on the right side of the upper landing photograph.

I'm not looking to move right now, so there's no reason for me to bug the Realtor, but I'm curious and I know that in my small town at least, we all know *everything* about all the local homes/buildings .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
As fate would have it, I will be driving through Abbeville this morning. I will do a drive by and give you my impression of the place this evening. I am with you, that price seems rather low for even Abbeville. I have had the pleasure to work in Abbeville one time, at the prison (no, I was not a 'resident'), so I actually know what to expect from the town. Not much... but that is not always a bad thing. A Dollar Store, a small version of a Piggly Wiggly (called a Piglet, by the way), and only one place I could find to eat lunch at. But if rural life is what you seek... you have found it in Abbeville.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM

UPDATE:

I have scoped this place out and it is my guess that there must be some structural problems here. I say that not because I could see any, but simply because there must be a reason this place has not been sold yet. It sits awkwardly at the end of a dead end street, however the yard seems decent... complete with the usual Magnolia trees and everything. There is a tiny one car garage in back, and also another small out building. The exterior is weathered, but there were no obvious structural problems evident. The big white columns now point to the side, as if the road in and out has changed over the years. Oh, and I think the property borders a set of railroad tracks. Even still, I am not sure why this place is not moving, except that this probably is not your typical "flip" house... it is just too far away from any major metropolitan area to be a project house. On the other hand, if you are in the Witness Protection Plan or trying to hide from someone, this looks like a great hide away fixer upper. I am not in the business, but if I had to make a guess, if this place was in the Atlanta metro area it would sell as is for a small fortune. I would guess in an area like Macon or Columbus it would sell for three or four times as much as the asking price here.
My $0.02... for what it is worth.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM

182 posts, read 711,362 times
beautiful house...though I have never been to that city.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 PM

193 posts, read 812,789 times
Thanks for taking a look Bulldawgfan. I thought that maybe there might be some structural issues, since it does seem to have a slight tilt to the left in the main photo, but if it wasn't noticeable outside maybe the photo is just odd...

It's a great price for that time period, that's for sure! I have always loved old homes and buildings (in fact I'm planning on getting my masters in historical preservation once I'm done with my teaching degree). I have progressed from turn of the century homes to really wanting something from mid 1800's or older .

I haven't really narrowed down what state I'd like to move to, so maybe Georgia will be added to the list! I liked Athens a lot when I visited there, and some of the other areas like Atlanta have their fine points, but I do prefer rural or small towns, though it's nice to be within decent driving distance to a city.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
Maybe it's haunted.

No problem, nightwishfan! As I said, I just so happened to be passing through there today. Although I am no where near as much fan as you in regards to older structures, I love checking out the time-proven architecture of days gone by. One of my favorite places to do so is Charleston, South Carolina. In a word... AWESOME! Savannah, Georgia would be second of the cities I have visited lately. They are very much alike in time frames, however the quality of stuctures in Charleston is much better in my opinion.
Good luck in your studies and your search!!!

658 posts, read 831,083 times
I don't know that market, but in that region, I suspect WDOs... termites, carpenter ants, etc.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
Notice that it is being offered by an auction company? Maybe there is nothing *wrong* with the house just the previous owner? Could be a foreclosure, estate, etc...

Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
Notice that it is being offered by an auction company? Maybe there is nothing *wrong* with the house just the previous owner? Could be a foreclosure, estate, etc...
It actually has a Century 21 sign out front... it did yesterday, anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia