Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 36,472 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm about 3-4 year away from retirement, I'm 52 and my husband and I would love to return to our parent's roots in the South. I guess you might call it "reverse migration". We are African-American, and would love to purchase a mild "fixer-upper" in the next year in Griffin.

Can anyone tell me much about the lifestyle of the city. I'm considering Griffin because of the home prices, and proximity to larger cities such as Macon and Atlanta. Hopefully, the friendly Southern flavor is still evident.

Thanks for any help- future Southern Gal from Ohio - Kalola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
cKc

3 posts, read 48,719 times
I live relatively close to Griffin, and in the last 10 years it had REALLY gone down hill. There are alot of abandoned buildings and, and it has turned mostly into "the projects" my husband and I actually drove out there with my brotherinlaw to look at a house for him and when they went in they found a crack pipe inside. :/ Not far from Griffin is Fayetteville and it is a very nice area with nice shopping, low crime etc. I have thought about moving there recently, but my husband and I are now looking at a house in Indiana...

Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Thanks for the Update

cKc, thanks for your information. We will certainly check things out VERY closely before we make a final decision. Fayetteville might be a contender.
Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM

129 posts, read 656,300 times
You might want to check the next county over , which is Henry.. Stockbridge , Mcdonough, locust grove and Hampton .

Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 20,145 times
Default You really need to see for yourself

Yes Griffin is old school and there are alot of abandoned houses and buildings. However, you said something very key. You all are looking to purchase a mild fixer upper.... The City is encouraging new builders and developers to come to the city and rehabilitate the area. There is also a plan to construct a transit line that will take people into Atlanta from Griffin which will really raise property value and bring alot of people, mainly investors of course. The cost of living is pretty low compared to the surrounding counties. I am an investor and have purchased new construction in Griffin. With the plan to build a new "Disney Theme Park" between Henry and Spalding County in the near future, buying property now while the prices are low, may not be such a bad idea. Just be careful where in Griffin you choose to buy.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Hey Sheilene!

I was happy to see your post. Lots of good information for me. I will be checking out Griffin and the surrounding area this coming summer. Very excited about the possibility of buying and improving our future home.

The thought of a new transit system makes it even more of a good reason to find out more about real estate prices. Thanks so much!!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:07 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilene Creecy View Post
Yes Griffin is old school and there are alot of abandoned houses and buildings. However, you said something very key. You all are looking to purchase a mild fixer upper.... The City is encouraging new builders and developers to come to the city and rehabilitate the area. There is also a plan to construct a transit line that will take people into Atlanta from Griffin which will really raise property value and bring alot of people, mainly investors of course. The cost of living is pretty low compared to the surrounding counties. I am an investor and have purchased new construction in Griffin. With the plan to build a new "Disney Theme Park" between Henry and Spalding County in the near future, buying property now while the prices are low, may not be such a bad idea. Just be careful where in Griffin you choose to buy.
What is the theme park that you are referring to? Best anybody can tell it's a retirement village. Do you know something we don't? I find it hard to believe that Henry County could support a theme park. They have been trying to build one by Stonecrest Mall for years with no success - it sounds more like wishful thinking on Henry County's part.

As far as the commuter rail line, the first phase is planned to only go to Lovejoy. Its had funding for a while and they are still having trouble getting it off the ground. Further funding will require an approval by the Georgia State Legislature. Even if hell froze over and the legislature approved funding for rail other lines would probably be built first.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 10,120 times
Default Griffin Native

Hi,

I was born and raised there. If you are looking for very low key, moderate cheap place to live, superb school system, then Griffin is the place to live. It's a few minutes drive to major city night life, if that's what you need from time to time. For sunday worship, try Mt. Nebo Baptist Church. My family still resides there and I consider it my refuge from the hectic life of my big city of Dallas, Texas. As for real estate, I would check out the Pecan Ridge subdivision. It is fairly newer. The older homes there are in serious need of repair from years of neglect from landlords. Stick with west Griffin area or if you can get in around Lou Mae lake. If there are anymore question, which you may have simply email me at Removed. May I be the first to say "WELCOME TO GRIFFIN, WHERE THERE ARE NO STRANGERS, ONLY FRIENDS YET TO BE MADE'

Last edited by xxman777; 05-17-2007 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Removed Personal Info

Old 07-31-2007, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 15,468 times
I have also heard about the "Disney Theme Park". Unfortunately, that is not true...somehow the new retirement village "SunCity" got that repuation. There is no theme park. Also, the public schools are not superb, they are terrible & continue to spiral downward. The dropout rate, teen pregnancy rate, & drug traffiking rates are high!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 20,145 times
Default Griffin

Griffin is not entirely bad. Yes there are undesirable areas within the "city" but that is true for most places. I was mistaken about the new theme park and I apologize for misleading information. I see that I had been corrected a long time ago before this. But Griffin would not be my 1st choice or even my 10th choice for that matter. But then, I have no family in Griffin, nor am I closing in on retirement, my pace is alot faster. I think that since you are considering Griffin as a place to retire and invest, it may not be that bad of a choice. But, no quick flips here in this city. Anticipate a long term appreciation type of project which is the route many of the investors are taking in this city. They are buying extremely low, fixing them up, and renting them out. You could retire nicely if you could build a steady stream of monthly cash flow. Griffin has many, many renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia