Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 PM

11,365 posts, read 24,322,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyPSU View Post
In fact, it means taking run down property. Property that most wouldn't set foot in, and making it beautiful and yes profitable. If making a town beautiful again is a sin, well then I guess most "flippers" would be found guilty.
Flipping is different than restoration of older homes. Flipping is done with a profit motive and intent to "fix up" the property and sell it within a short period of time.

Restoring a home is based on historic, asethetic, and functional criteria with the preservation of the home and the surrounding neighborhood in mind.

Flipping properties has been promoted in a number of "get rich quick" publications scattered throughout popular media. This practice has been criticized as contributing to the inflation of the housing bubble and its recent collapse by artificially increasing the cost of real estate beyond what the market can now support.

Proper restoration, which is usually much more costly and time consuming than "flipping" can contribute to the health and vitality of a community in a much more sustainable fashion.

Sorry that sounds so stiff, but I wanted to get the terminology clarified.

Last edited by ellie; 01-31-2007 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,159,741 times
I'd have to agree that most "house flippers" are not welcome in family neighborhoods. Many times they end up putting crappy renters in there, because they don't get what they thought they could get by flipping the house. I've seen this happen all too many times. People want nice neighbors to move in next to them, who will take pride in their house, spend the extra $$$ on renovations because they intend to live there for a long time.....not house flippers.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:53 PM

233 posts, read 1,223,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyPSU View Post
Do you know much about Rincon or Richmond Hill? My husband and I are coming down in March to visit family in hilton head and we are thinking about checking these places out. My husband is a contractor and is interested in flipping houses. Is Savannah a good place to do this in your opinion. THank you for your help.
The houses in downtown Savannah would be a good place for flipping...
I know where Latrobe is. I lived in the Bethel Park area.....

Rincon and Richmond Hill would not be good for flipping. They are nice areas though with great schools.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,400,161 times
There is an area outside the historic district --close to Thunderbolt ripe for renovation--40's/50's homes. There may be other subdivisions on the South side that are similar.

If it is not already being done--then there is a reason. Would your DH know how to research the potential of the area--online or when you visit?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 AM

13 posts, read 45,397 times
We have family in the area, I am sure they can help him with the area and maybe a local realtor. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:49 AM

I know that there is flipping going on. I've taken quite a few downtown to houses that were looking to do that. We opened the door to one and the floor was literally bowing. And part of the ceiling in the living area had fallen down along with lots of insulation. We were afraid to walk in. The exterior was in great shape though.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,400,161 times
Default Savannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpowers21 View Post
I know that there is flipping going on. I've taken quite a few downtown to houses that were looking to do that. We opened the door to one and the floor was literally bowing. And part of the ceiling in the living area had fallen down along with lots of insulation. We were afraid to walk in. The exterior was in great shape though.
My uncle, now deceased, once lived in a part of downtown Savannah that is probably in such an area. Decades ago.

The house seemed very strange to me as a child. Possibly considered a 'shotgun' house?
http://bywater.org/Arch/shotgun.htm (broken link)

Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 PM

726 posts, read 3,590,503 times
Quote:
Rincon and Richmond Hill would not be good for flipping.
Rincon may be good for flipping lots with Mobile Homes.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
Rincon may be good for flipping lots with Mobile Homes.
This is true...but for the most part, they are usually well kept. I've only seen a few that needed TLC as it's always put. There were a couple of foreclosures there. I had a guy interested in it, but it got snatched up quickly b/c he was taking his time.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 45,397 times
I think the first thing my family and I need to do is decide on an area. I have done my research, and it appears most of GA is need of teachers. PA has more teachers then they can employ. You have to know someone to get a job, or student teach for at least 5 years which can get tiresome. We definately have to move. It is just deciding on where to move. We have family close to Savannah and I would love to live by the beach, we also have family in Villa Rica, which appears to have great prices on homes, and my husband likes northern GA, because it has alot of mountains and it is comparable to home. This is a tough decision. If you any of you moved to GA from another location, did you ever regret it, or was it the best move you have ever made?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia