Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,160 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Calhoun, GA I am getting ready to go back to school for my RN. I am trying to decide rather I should go to Dalton State or North Georgia College and State University in Dahlonega, I don't really know much about either school because I've not lived in GA very long. I have a 6 month old and a 2 year old and my husband was recently killed in a car accident. So, I am trying to find out which area would be better for us to live in. I need somewhere that has good day care systems, and school systems, and I also want somewhere that is safe with a low crime rate and a reasonable cost of living. So, if anyone could please give me some information on both of these cities (Dalton and Dahloega, GA) and if you know anything sbout the colleges I listed above it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I am so sorry for your loss...I can't imagine how difficult this is for you.
I would choose Dahlonega...it has more of a 'college town' atmosphere, very pretty. Dalton is larger and much more industrial (being the carpet capital of the world).
I had friends that graduated from N GA College...three sisters that all ended up as military wives, being that it's a military college and all. They loved their time there.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Sorry to hear about your husband.

Maybe others can specifically bring up the school comparisions, but unless you're fluent in Spanish, you might want Dahlonega. Dalton has a lot of immigrant workers in the carpet mills (and growing), and while some folks like living up there, there's a fair number of negative comments about it as well. Dahlonega is a bit sleepy, but has a touristy arts/crafts studio town square area that's pretty neat. You're basically where GA400 ends up in that area, so if you had to go to Atlanta it's a straight shot down (in heavy traffic though).

Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
I concur with Greg..
But the two cities are like comparing apples and oranges in the first place.
Dahlonega is much smaller than Dalton.
Dahlonega is more a place for retirees, artists, and students... (Dahlonega is becoming quite the artists colony)..in a way I sort of would say its like a much much smaller version of Asheville.
Dalton on the other hand is more of a blue collar manufacturing town with a very high percentage of immigrant labor (both legal and illegal).. and learning Spanish would probably be necesssary to function there.
Dalton, being a bigger town, is going to have more shopping and dining choices, but you have more issues with crime and underperforming school and the frictions with all of the immigrants.
If it were me and I had to choose between the two... I would go with Dahlonega.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,160 times
Thank you all for the information you have provided. I know that there is a large difference in the size of each city. The only reason that I am even considering Dalton is because I can get to Dalton State from where I live now in about 20-30 minutes on I75, but if Dalton State is not a good school than I would rather try and go ahead and move now. So, if there is anyone who has gone to Dalton State or worked there or something if you could let me know if this school is worth going to or not (I would be going for my RN). Thank you all for any help provided.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgustatruth View Post
i concur with greg..
But the two cities are like comparing apples and oranges in the first place.
Dahlonega is much smaller than dalton.
Dahlonega is more a place for retirees, artists, and students... (dahlonega is becoming quite the artists colony)..in a way i sort of would say its like a much much smaller version of asheville.
Dalton on the other hand is more of a blue collar manufacturing town with a very high percentage of immigrant labor (both legal and illegal).. And learning spanish would probably be necesssary to function there.
Dalton, being a bigger town, is going to have more shopping and dining choices, but you have more issues with crime and underperforming school and the frictions with all of the immigrants.
If it were me and i had to choose between the two... I would go with dahlonega.
hi look i relly dont think you are explaing this correctly ok she didnt ask about illegal aliens and the crimes please most of them are done by white people

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEJANDRA00 View Post
hi look i relly dont think you are explaing this correctly ok she didnt ask about illegal aliens and the crimes please most of them are done by white people
Ok there pepe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia