Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 29,824 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out more about Athens and the areas right near there. I haven't seen many posters on this board mention Athens or it's neighbor county of Oconee. Athens was cited on a few different lists as one of the top ten best places to live. Can anyone tell me from experience if those are safe areas, a good place to raise kids? Liberal or conservative? We're looking for an area that's safe, family friendly with good schools, and has fun things to do with the kids. We'd also like to be able to buy a house with an acre or more of land. I'd like to find an area that is fairly liberal.....we're from the west coast and anything too conservative may not be a good fit.

Athens sounds like a good fit because it still has that small town appeal, yet since it's a college town, there's a lot to do....any thoughts?....please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 07:13 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
It's pretty liberal, for Georgia. You may have to look far to find land. Oconee county is where all of the "rich white people" have moved to send their children to school. It's grown in leaps and bounds and has lost much of its old appeal, IMO. It's become just another generic conglomeration of new construction, for the most part.

I know plenty of people who send their kids to public school in Athens/Clarke Co. They may be above average schools for the state due to the high supply of new college graduates keeping schools up-to-date, but they are public schools and as a result will reflect the local community. I've been told that there are good schools and not-so-good. One friend had to remove his young child from a particular elementary school in their neighborhood because the kids were too rough, and wait until he could be admitted to a better one in a neighboring area. You'll find that situation almost anywhere you move in the state. There are places where parents are involved in the schools which makes them better, and then you'll find others where the parents are simply not able or willing to be involved.

It's a nice city and worth checking out.

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 29,824 times
Thank you for your response ellie. Any info I can get is very helpful. I had heard that the schools in Oconee were good, but that it has become a place with a lot of building - MacMansions, someone called them. We live in an area where they're doing that now and we want to avoid that. Any other thoughts are welcome!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
What ages are your children? And how old are you?

If I were younger and wanted to relocate there, I'd first try renting a place for a year (try the Boulevard or 5 Points neighborhoods), spend a substantial amount of time downtown, and get to know the locals. Then you'll make some friends who can turn you onto the things you're be looking for.

And if it's rural you're looking for, you'll find just the right place. Athens is not terribly citified to begin with.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:46 AM

141 posts, read 981,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating23 View Post
Thank you for your response ellie. Any info I can get is very helpful. I had heard that the schools in Oconee were good, but that it has become a place with a lot of building - MacMansions, someone called them. We live in an area where they're doing that now and we want to avoid that. Any other thoughts are welcome!
You can live in Oconee and not be surrounded by McMansions!

Look at the Farmington area in south Oconee. No McMansions there. You can also look at Bogart, it's an old, old town. Really neat places up thataway.

In the same vein, the actual City of Watkinsville is very attractive in an anti-Generica fashion. It still retains some of its original character, and the money that they are beginning to spend on streetscape improvements will be nice. I would also mention Bishop, but it's being overrun by a giant development now.

If you want to live in a real Georgia small town, look a little farther out. Statham is a good choice, as it Winterville on the other side of Athens. Also Lexington if you don't mind the boonies (Oglethorpe County). Madison County is also nice(if a bit rough around the edges), and Danielsville is an interesting place. The countryside along 72 is nice too, but the actual towns (Hull, Comer, Carlton, Colbert) are not that great. Also it is the growth corridor in Madison County, so development pressure there.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:07 PM

27 posts, read 174,242 times
Default Good Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocating23 View Post
I'm trying to find out more about Athens and the areas right near there. I haven't seen many posters on this board mention Athens or it's neighbor county of Oconee. Athens was cited on a few different lists as one of the top ten best places to live. Can anyone tell me from experience if those are safe areas, a good place to raise kids? Liberal or conservative? We're looking for an area that's safe, family friendly with good schools, and has fun things to do with the kids. We'd also like to be able to buy a house with an acre or more of land. I'd like to find an area that is fairly liberal.....we're from the west coast and anything too conservative may not be a good fit.

Athens sounds like a good fit because it still has that small town appeal, yet since it's a college town, there's a lot to do....any thoughts?....please.
You make good sense. Athens is about the best you can do in Georgia if you want to avoid anything too conservative since you do not want to live in the big city (Atlanta). Being a college town, you will find more nightlife, music, the arts, etc. than just about anywhere outside Atlanta. The university ensures a lot of diversity which is a big plus. I think you should be able to find just what you are looking for in Athens. I would imagine Savannah would be the best second choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia