Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM

913 posts, read 2,972,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimi41 View Post
Wow all these comments are scaring the heck out of me, I am suppose to be moving to columbus georgia by july from Miami, florida. Husband was transfer, but I am seriously after all this reading am considering sending him alone lol
Don't let one poster change your perception. Columbus is a growing community with excellent corporations, one of the world's largest military bases, good schools, a great university, cultural activities, outdoor activities, and entertainment options. It is definitely different than Miami, but I do think you will enjoy it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 28,897 times
Thank you ATL, Husband works for AT&T in their parkway area,(Harris County) were in our fourties, not looking for good schools or anything like that just a decent quiet place to live with fishing areas. Could you please suggest some. I seen some home rental properties in the internet by River Road what do you guys think.

Greatly appreciate any help since I am looking forward to moving to Georgia.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM

244 posts, read 862,509 times
OK, I'm a little confused. Is your husband going to be working in Harris County or in Columbus? If he will be working in Harris county, I suggest you look there first before considering living in Columbus. I also suggest you visit the area before July so you can formulate your own opinion. River Road is not a bad area if you stay north of Manchester Expressway. But again, if your husband is working in Harris County, look there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimi41 View Post
Thank you ATL, Husband works for AT&T in their parkway area,(Harris County) were in our fourties, not looking for good schools or anything like that just a decent quiet place to live with fishing areas. Could you please suggest some. I seen some home rental properties in the internet by River Road what do you guys think.

Greatly appreciate any help since I am looking forward to moving to Georgia.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 AM

8 posts, read 28,897 times
Thanks saharaga, if your confuse imagine how I feel, his working address is 1324 veterans parkway columbus georgia. I thought with what I been reading that was in Harris county but what do I know. I am researching now by zipcodes but I am still confuse and your absolutely right, we will be taking a road trip down that way by the midle of april. Its only he and I and he travels, I just want to be sure I am in a nice neighborhood when I stay while he travels. Thank you any help you can give me I truly appreciated

Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 AM

80 posts, read 265,696 times
youfotool

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM

12 posts, read 26,945 times
I live in columbus. Lived in Manhattan, New Jersey, Tacoma, WA Portland, OR and Eugene, OR Tucson, AZ. Columbus is great. Changed so much since 2002. I consider myself an urban individual and Columbus is doing well. Lately it is showing many of the signs that a progressive city has to offer. I live in a loft downtown and the building across the street is beginning to renovate. Soon there will be no more units to renovate and the city is working on rezoning. I love the fact that this downtown has an art school a couple of skate shops, cafes, good modern hair salons and restaurants. I can always get on a plane and get back to NYC for my needs. Why go urban all the way, it brings too much decay. Columbus is doing it right. Today my wife and I were looking at different license plates and there are plates from all over the country. From New York to Oregon. Columbus is urban, just in a different way than NYC, or Portland.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,571,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence75 View Post
I live in columbus. Lived in Manhattan, New Jersey, Tacoma, WA Portland, OR and Eugene, OR Tucson, AZ. Columbus is great. Changed so much since 2002. I consider myself an urban individual and Columbus is doing well. Lately it is showing many of the signs that a progressive city has to offer. I live in a loft downtown and the building across the street is beginning to renovate. Soon there will be no more units to renovate and the city is working on rezoning. I love the fact that this downtown has an art school a couple of skate shops, cafes, good modern hair salons and restaurants. I can always get on a plane and get back to NYC for my needs. Why go urban all the way, it brings too much decay. Columbus is doing it right. Today my wife and I were looking at different license plates and there are plates from all over the country. From New York to Oregon. Columbus is urban, just in a different way than NYC, or Portland.
Great post. I just had a friend who moved into some lofts beside the Subway on Broadway. She loves it.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:19 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,065,131 times
Columbus is of no faster pace of a city than Albany, GA. It's a better city, but the same pace. It's more like a large town than an urban city. Warner Robins even has a faster pace on Watson and Russell than anywhere in Columbus.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,571,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Columbus is of no faster pace of a city than Albany, GA. It's a better city, but the same pace. It's more like a large town than an urban city. Warner Robins even has a faster pace on Watson and Russell than anywhere in Columbus.
A lot of folks feel a lot different than you. Columbus is extremely diverse. There are people from all over the country. My good friends are from Michigan and my parents neighbors are from Buffalo, NY. It is not slow paced at all in my opinion. The city has excellent leadership. That is why Columbus's venues are unbelievable compared to other cities its size. Go downtown one weekend or drive along I-185 or J.R. Allen Pwky at rush hour and tell me you think it's slowed paced.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:14 AM

244 posts, read 862,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
A lot of folks feel a lot different than you. Columbus is extremely diverse. There are people from all over the country.
Rrriiiiigggghhhhttt. So if an area has people from other states then that makes it diverse? A city/county where blacks and whites make up 94-95% of the population is considered diverse? Diversity typically represents adequate representation from several races and cultures. Buffalo and Michigan have basically the same American culture as other states.

White persons, percent, 2000 (a) 50.3%
Black persons, percent, 2000 (a) 43.9%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2000 (a) 0.4%
Asian persons, percent, 2000 (a) 1.5%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2000 (a) 0.1%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2000 1.9%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2000 (b) 4.5%

Columbus (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

White persons, percent, 2007 (a) 49.0%
Black persons, percent, 2007 (a) 46.6%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2007 (a) 0.4%
Asian persons, percent, 2007 (a) 2.0%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2007 (a) 0.2%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2007 1.9%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2007 (b) 3.9% White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2007 46.2%
Muscogee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia