Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 14,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Do you mind my asking where you would go to get farther out?
If you are talking about getting further from Ellijay there is a lot of land heading towards Blue Ridge, many isolated places, it depends what you mean far out. I just wanted to be away from the crime of the big cities. In Florida I awalys went to sleep with one eye opened and a gun close by. Its not the same here. im not saying it will stay that way but we have enjoyed 10 years of peace compared to the hustle bustle Florida living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 AM

9 posts, read 48,792 times
OK Let's consider this without all the blaming who is ruining what.

What do North Georgians think about Floridians buying vacation homes up there? What about Floridians who move there permenantly? Can Floridians find jobs in Blue Ridge, Morganton, Clayton, Toccoa, Hiawassee?

I live in Toccoa and as far as I am concerned come on up. Just don't try and change us. We are North Georgians and we don't plan on hearing anything about changing. If you like the area enough to move here, just remember that you chose to move here. We just don't want someone looking down on us like we are strange when we aren't the ones who are new to the area.

I think the big problem I have seen on these forums is that the same question keeps getting asked. What do Georgians think about us moving there? I'll tell you a secret. We are all individuals. To ask what do we think about northerners moving here or if blacks will be accepted is kind of like saying what do Spaniards think of whites moving there or what do blacks think about whatever. People are pretty much people and we all have different opinions; but, for the most part, if you are a good citizen and want to live here without causing trouble, then you are welcome. I think the media has us all pegged as a bunch of hillbilly rednecks who don't tolerate anyone who hasn't grown up here. Not true.

Where do N. Georgians flee to when they don't like where they're living anymore?

As for this question, I have never considered the concept that anyone would not like living here! Really, refer back to the previous answer. I for one might like to live in San Antonio, Washington, D.C. suburbs or Denver, CO. Or maybe Florida! Everyone is different but if we ever do decide to move it is with a tear in our eye and we always leave a part of us here.

How many N. Georgians end up moving to larger cities like Atlanta when they become adults?

About the same as anywhere else. We do have college age kids that move away to get higher paying jobs; but, if you look at them when they have settled down with a family, they come back to North Ga for the safe, comfortable family atmosphere.

Do any Floridian transplants get active in local politics in North Georgia? What's your thoughts on things up there?

We are sometimes strange when it comes to politics. We have our roots in the Democratic Party just because that is what we have always done and most don't even look at the policies and outcomes of the democratic party. We just know that Grand-daddy was a Democrat and Daddy was a Democrat so it is good enough for me. However, the majority of people here are conservative which is why I say we are strange. I for one am somewhere between a libertarian and a republican.

As for Florida transplants getting involved, you can do what every you like. We are after all a semi-free country. However, don't expect to have an easy go of it. I have lived in Toccoa all my life and they seem to just recycle the same people through the political structure. One person may be mayor for a term , then a school superintendent, then vice-mayor, etc. I don't know if it is from the fact that not many people run or if we just vote for the people we know. Some people might call it a good-ol-boy attitude. I just call it being lazy and not wanting to look to deep at the candidates and issues.

I hope this has helped

Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,768 times
Default Don't worry!

I moved from WPB Fl after 30 years there,i too was wandering about the adjustment of North Georgia living! Well the people are great, very polite and welcoming if you are from a fast pace rat race you will truly appreciate the happenings here not to mention all the food and shopping ,if you need a big city night out Atlanta will not let you down.They like to drive fast here but not rude or reckless like S.FL . Cobb county is made up of more than half of newbies a good number from FL at one point,the local butcher,barber,waitress,waffle house manager, and several sales people just to list a few, i keep asking where people are from and about two thirds are from states surrounding GA. My family have all landed jobs making the same or more we are paying less for ins, and utilities etc. Eating out and groceries are the same. If you want to stretch your dollar up here you certainly can. Plan ahead for a job there are plenty but slower on getting in touch with you.If you are a friendly polite person no problem,pushy and tense will narrow your success especially further from the bigger cities .No more hurricanes oppressive heat/humidity and constant increases in cost of living. Hello mountains cooler weather and money to spend. I will tell you that there is alot less racial tension here than S FL.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,703 times
I am from Morganton, GA and I can honestly say that it would be very difficult to move from the North to here. I lived in and around Atlanta for nearly 13 years before moving to Ellijay, and now Morganton. I love the location, and the people, but everyone knows everyone, and they develop their opinion about you from your last name and family ties. My fiances family is very well known in the area, so I have no trouble when meeting new people, as long as I drop the Oliver name. As for "hunting dogs running wild" this is not true. While there is no fine for loose dogs, there is in fact a leash law. Actually, just today Animal Control was called to retrieve a stray pit from our yard. If the animal has ID tags and its rabies ID, they will return the animal to its owner, but place you with a warning. If not, they advertise the animal in the local paper, and hold it for maybe a week before adopting it out or putting it down. Many people run with their dogs loose, which bothers me as we have two male pits in a fenced in yard, and a male chow/husky mix on a run in the front yard.

Morganton is a wonderful place to live, but again it will be hard for someone from the North to "fit in". Money is very hard to come by, and you would most likely have to travel to somewhere like Blairsville to find a good paying job. There's not much in the way of restraunts, as there is no alcohol served. If you want to sit down somewhere to have a glass of wine or beer with your meal, you have to travel about 15 minutes to Ellijay. Drugs are also a big problem in North GA. Meth is a major issue, and it's said that GA has the largest number of teen meth abusers in the US. I can honestly say you would probably be happier and more comfortable living somewhere further South, like Dawsonville.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,661 times
Default Floridians causing more road blocks

I'm a native of Union County, Blairsville and have also lived in Towns County, Young Harris Ga. With the years of migration of Floridians destroying our mountains and way of life now we have to put up with harassment from the Drug Task Force and local cops having there so called road blocks or road checks. Because of all the traffic thats coming in drugs are coming along for the ride to. Makes you wonder how many of these new homes, business, and whatever, were bought with drug money by drug dealers. It's not the native Floridians it's the so called halfbacks. YeeHaw, proud to be a Rebel !

Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 26,558 times
Default north georgia trade home for fl

anyone interested in a house trade? i have a home in northeast georgia and am wanting to be in pasco/hernando/citrus. thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 AM

11 posts, read 81,151 times
I will be moving from South Florida to live a self sustaining lifestyle. I want to grow some of my food organically, have chickens and buy acreage. I want to move to a community with a college, I dont like a lot of traffic and I want to live near a small town or a medium sized town. I also like the mountains or at least rolling land. I have never been to north Georgia or south Tennesee or N Carolina. Can anyone tell me where to look? I will be going up there this summer . thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthladyj View Post
I will be moving from South Florida to live a self sustaining lifestyle. I want to grow some of my food organically, have chickens and buy acreage. I want to move to a community with a college, I dont like a lot of traffic and I want to live near a small town or a medium sized town. I also like the mountains or at least rolling land. I have never been to north Georgia or south Tennesee or N Carolina. Can anyone tell me where to look? I will be going up there this summer . thanks
You could look in the Jasper/Elijay area- Appalachian Tech has their campus in Jasper.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
You keep saying it will be hard for someone from the North to fit in. Please explain why you feel that way. Last time I checked, I didn't have two heads.
To me, people are people. Where one comes from should not matter. Its what one brings with them, or doesn't bring, that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-mash View Post
I am from Morganton, GA and I can honestly say that it would be very difficult to move from the North to here. I lived in and around Atlanta for nearly 13 years before moving to Ellijay, and now Morganton. I love the location, and the people, but everyone knows everyone, and they develop their opinion about you from your last name and family ties. My fiances family is very well known in the area, so I have no trouble when meeting new people, as long as I drop the Oliver name. As for "hunting dogs running wild" this is not true. While there is no fine for loose dogs, there is in fact a leash law. Actually, just today Animal Control was called to retrieve a stray pit from our yard. If the animal has ID tags and its rabies ID, they will return the animal to its owner, but place you with a warning. If not, they advertise the animal in the local paper, and hold it for maybe a week before adopting it out or putting it down. Many people run with their dogs loose, which bothers me as we have two male pits in a fenced in yard, and a male chow/husky mix on a run in the front yard.

Morganton is a wonderful place to live, but again it will be hard for someone from the North to "fit in". Money is very hard to come by, and you would most likely have to travel to somewhere like Blairsville to find a good paying job. There's not much in the way of restraunts, as there is no alcohol served. If you want to sit down somewhere to have a glass of wine or beer with your meal, you have to travel about 15 minutes to Ellijay. Drugs are also a big problem in North GA. Meth is a major issue, and it's said that GA has the largest number of teen meth abusers in the US. I can honestly say you would probably be happier and more comfortable living somewhere further South, like Dawsonville.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 81,151 times
thanks I will look at Jaspar on the internet and possibly visit there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia