Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM

9 posts, read 39,549 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting his PHD at the University of Georgia and we know we will be in the area for 3 years and given that short time period don't know if we should rent or buy.

We're especially worried that there won't be any rentals for "professionals" and will have to deal with undergrad parties at all hours of the night.

I was hoping that you guys might have insight into "family friendly" rentals in Athens or good places to look for buying where we shouldn't have an issue with resale. (Also we're trying to stay under $175K since we'll be down to one income).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,562,353 times
Default Rent

RENT, RENT, RENT.

Athens is flooded with houses/condos for sale---over 2000. Yes, you can probably get one with a low ball offer, BUT, who do you sell that baby to in 3 years? People with school aged children generally prefer Oconee County schools.

Not sure what you mean about "professional", but do remember that we have 33 -34,000 students here.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Default P.s.

Cedar Creek is an established, stable neighborhood with great location.

Old Lexington Gardens is good. Not much for sale in either of those. Located on the east side.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 PM

9 posts, read 39,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
RENT, RENT, RENT.

Athens is flooded with houses/condos for sale---over 2000. Yes, you can probably get one with a low ball offer, BUT, who do you sell that baby to in 3 years? People with school aged children generally prefer Oconee County schools.

Not sure what you mean about "professional", but do remember that we have 33 -34,000 students here.

Good luck.
Thanks for your help Ollie, I've read some of your posts about Athens and you're always extremely helpful!

I just meant that we don't want to live in a neighborhood where we hear music playing at all hours of the night or have to worry about drunken antics in our front yard.

If you have any other tips of townhouse or apartment complexes to look at renting please let me know and thanks again!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 AM

I actually do not know of any townhome/condo places that are noted for their hard partying at all hours. The police do enforce noise ordinances. Gamedays are another matter when some 90,000 people are having a good time. But that only happens 6 or 7 times a year depending on the schedule.

As long as you stay on the eastside of athens you will have easier access to the university. Athens has a good bus system, cheap. Try and get someplace along the busline or within bike distance.

There are a number of complexes along Barnett Shoals Road connecting from Hwy 78 (Lexington hwy) to intersection with Gaines School Rd. Those are relatively new places.

I really suggest you look hard before you commit. Athens crime is mostly focused in certain geographical areas and times of day. Like anywhere, there are areas you might want to avoid for renting.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
with the market of today's, i'd recommend to rent too. but if you see the right house, for the right price (has to be a very good deal) then there's no reason not to buy. cedar creek and old lexington gardens are stable like a previous poster has said. i have seen this house listed on craigslist that's selling in the old lexington gardens, if you are interested. based on their posting habits (they posted consistently everyday) i'd say they are quite desperate to sell, so you probably can give a low ball offer.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/reo/859434547.html (broken link)

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia