U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,140,297 times

Advertisements

Seems the new gun law has alot of people up in arms, lol. Just curious on what others on here think, especially since alot of y'all are transplants.

From the blogs most citizens seem to support it but those who oppose think hundreds of police officers/citizens are going to die now.

This is an 'Opinion' article: http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/stories/2007/02/14/0214edguns.html (broken link)

I can't find the blog that was up.

FYI for those unfamiliar with the law as it stands now: You can carry a weapon in your car if it's in plain view or placed in a 'glove box' or a 'console' w/o a concealed weapons permit, if you get one, you can place the gun anywhere.

My view, I carry a .38 mostly in my glove now. I have a permit. Opponents seem to think this will increase police/citizen deaths. I just don't buy it.

I grew up with guns and I do think everyone who wants to buy a gun should not only do a background check but also take some class on how to use it. I took my hunter's safety class when I was 14. It's required for under 18 or 21 to hunt.

When purchasing a hand gun, a back-ground check is required. Similar when applying for a concealed permit.

Now, I don't think this law is going to cause a gun frenzy and people are going to run out and buy guns. And even if they did, there is still a background check. If you didn't carry a gun before(with or without permit) your probably still not going to carry one.

The people who commit these violent acts of crime aren't going to be allowed to do anything that haven't already been doing. These are criminals and have already been carrying consealed weapons w/o permit, not only in the car but on their person. Even with the background check, these criminals buy their guns off the street or from someone else, they just can't get them in the store.

If they want a gun they'll get a gun, if they wan't to conceal they're going to conceal it. They're criminals, they're not obeying the law anyway.

This just gives the law obiding citizens a little more freedom. It's legal to have my gun in open view, so it's easier to get to if I have it on my dash than a concealed one under my seat anyway.

I think everyone should have to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon but your cars is personal, private property like your home. This law isn't saying you can take it with you outside your car, you can just move it around inside your car. Again, I lean more towards still requiring the permit, but don't think this is really a threat to officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,549,600 times
Quote:
FYI for those unfamiliar with the law as it stands now: You can carry a weapon in your car if it's in plain view or placed in a 'glove box' or a 'console' w/o a concealed weapons permit, if you get one, you can place the gun anywhere.
That's really the way the law should be. I applaud Georgians for getting this done. The only concern I would have with people carrying guns in their car is not securing them when they are not in the car with their weapons. In Central Florida, we've had several people break into police cars just to steal their AR-15 rifles. If people are bold enough to break into a cop's car to get his gun, then they won't hesitate to break into your car to get yours either. I always carry my Glock17 when traveling through Georgia. For that reason, I never store guns in my car - just carry them on occasion. When I leave my car to use the restroom, etc., it gets locked in the trunk. If I'm in a real seedy area when pumping gas or getting money out of the ATM, it's in my inside jacket pocket or if it's a real bad area, then it's in my hand in my jacket pocket. One hand to opperate the ATM, the other to shoot potential assaliants.

No, I don't have a CW permit (been meaning to get it), but I'm not about to get broke down on I-75 at 1:00 a.m. somewhere north of Macon without a gun. The police can arrest me, if they feel it necessary, but if it's between getting my head blown off by some thugs or possibly getting detained for awhile, I'll take that risk.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 PM

1,393 posts, read 7,215,549 times
As a NJ resident where you need a permit to own a BB gun I too commend this effort. Yet another common sense reason for me to relocate to GA.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 AM

4,585 posts, read 11,250,235 times
I live in GA for right now and in fact realized several years ago I needed to get a gun so I've taken the course and have gotten a licence to carry...still no gun yet but I've finally found someone who will help me pick out the appropriate gun for my skills, needs and hand size. I do live in rural NE GA and I think I'm the only one in the area without a gun...LOL.

I did have a neighbor who has since moved that I had problems with he would "target" shoot on to my wooded property and had to call the police several times.

I see no problem with the law. Of course I'm for gun control anyway.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 PM

28 posts, read 187,666 times
Default Gun

My views on owning a gun - is a bit differnt than most of yours! I think criminals will carry guns regardless of laws. They are not thinking or caring what the law says! I carry mine EVERYWHERE and will use it if I need too! I obey the laws. And if I pull it - I will use it!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 28,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I live in GA for right now and in fact realized several years ago I needed to get a gun so I've taken the course and have gotten a licence to carry...still no gun yet but I've finally found someone who will help me pick out the appropriate gun for my skills, needs and hand size. I do live in rural NE GA and I think I'm the only one in the area without a gun...LOL.

I did have a neighbor who has since moved that I had problems with he would "target" shoot on to my wooded property and had to call the police several times.

I see no problem with the law. Of course I'm for gun control anyway.
I dont understand your post really why did you call the cops on your neighbor?? He was target shooting on your property you said was he actually on your property shooting or was he actually just shooting in the woods? Because I have problems with city people moving next to me and complaing about me shooting for no reason. They call the cops but im not in city limits so theres nothing they can or want to do about it. After they call the cops I just shoot more and more and their the ones moving.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,968,936 times
Every time a State passes more gun friendly laws, the anti's are up in arms about cops going to get killed, and shootouts at intersections. They don't know any better, so they cling to that stupid argument.

I always ask them if the people in neighboring States are more educated, smarter, or better behaved than we are. When they reply no, I ask them, "Then why would all of that bad stuff happen here, when it hasn't happened in any of the other 40 States that have concealed carry permits?'
Their eyes usually glass over, and they continue to spout their anti-gun rhetoric.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:58 PM
HWE

2 posts, read 30,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Seems the new gun law has alot of people up in arms, lol. Just curious on what others on here think, especially since alot of y'all are transplants.

From the blogs most citizens seem to support it but those who oppose think hundreds of police officers/citizens are going to die now.

This is an 'Opinion' article: http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/stories/2007/02/14/0214edguns.html (broken link)

I can't find the blog that was up.

My view, I carry a .38 mostly in my glove now. I have a permit. Opponents seem to think this will increase police/citizen deaths. I just don't buy it.

I grew up with guns and I do think everyone who wants to buy a gun should not only do a background check but also take some class on how to use it. I took my hunter's safety class when I was 14. It's required for under 18 or 21 to hunt.

When purchasing a hand gun, a back-ground check is required. Similar when applying for a concealed permit.

Now, I don't think this law is going to cause a gun frenzy and people are going to run out and buy guns. And even if they did, there is still a background check. If you didn't carry a gun before(with or without permit) your probably still not going to carry one.

The people who commit these violent acts of crime aren't going to be allowed to do anything that haven't already been doing. These are criminals and have already been carrying consealed weapons w/o permit, not only in the car but on their person. Even with the background check, these criminals buy their guns off the street or from someone else, they just can't get them in the store.

If they want a gun they'll get a gun, if they wan't to conceal they're going to conceal it. They're criminals, they're not obeying the law anyway.

This just gives the law obiding citizens a little more freedom. It's legal to have my gun in open view, so it's easier to get to if I have it on my dash than a concealed one under my seat anyway.

I think everyone should have to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon but your cars is personal, private property like your home. This law isn't saying you can take it with you outside your car, you can just move it around inside your car. Again, I lean more towards still requiring the permit, but don't think this is really a threat to officers.

I'm a permitted person also, and part of me is happy about this, but I can't help to wonder if this is some sort of set up. With the way the constitution and bill of rights is eroding away in this country, I'm worried that if gun violence does go up then we'll here "GUN CONTROL, GUN CONTROL! YA SEE !! WE NEED GUN CONTROL!!" Georgia being the most gun friendly state in the union and all.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,250,235 times
Hillbillyundelux...he was shooting onto my property with me on my property...as in shooting thru my woods at me!!!! My property is only about 500 feet wide and about 1000 feet long.

I only have 10 acres and he has only 4. All of the surrounding properties are 2-10 acres. Houses and kids, pets horses, cattle ect. Way too congested an area to be firing off a weapon.

I'm sure your aware how far a bullet can travel. On several occasions he almost hit me while I'm on my OWN property walking my dogs.

The right to bear arms doesn't mean I shouldn't be able walk on my own property safely.

In GA you have to have so much acreage, be so many feet from the road and houses...all of which he did not meet. So he was firing illegally.

I have no probs with people shooting responsibly, but this guy did not. The only time he pulled out his guns to shoot was after many beers. I'm just glad he moved and no one in our neighborhood was hurt or killed.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:18 PM
HWE

2 posts, read 30,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Hillbillyundelux...he was shooting onto my property with me on my property...as in shooting thru my woods at me!!!! My property is only about 500 feet wide and about 1000 feet long.

I only have 10 acres and he has only 4. All of the surrounding properties are 2-10 acres. Houses and kids, pets horses, cattle ect. Way too congested an area to be firing off a weapon.

I'm sure your aware how far a bullet can travel. On several occasions he almost hit me while I'm on my OWN property walking my dogs.

The right to bear arms doesn't mean I shouldn't be able walk on my own property safely.

In GA you have to have so much acreage, be so many feet from the road and houses...all of which he did not meet. So he was firing illegally.

I have no probs with people shooting responsibly, but this guy did not. The only time he pulled out his guns to shoot was after many beers. I'm just glad he moved and no one in our neighborhood was hurt or killed.
I agree with you. That is just plain wrong. Each city has it's own laws, but no matter what city you're in... He's breaking at least 3 of them. I'm sure there could be up to 10 charges. You should have called the cops. He maybe gone now, but who knows whos kids are in danger now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or