Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 AM

20 posts, read 176,106 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and thanks for sharing all the great info on this forum!

My wife and I will be relocating to Georgia in May, probably to the Warner Robins area. We have a two year old son so schools will be a concern in a few years. We will be buying a home in the $250K range. Our major recreational interests are fishing/boating.

My question(s) are:
1. Could someone please recommend a nice area to live that would be within a 45 minute drive? We would like to find a place with larger size lots so we are not staring directly into the neighbors windows
2. Are there any fishing lakes or rivers nearby?
3. Are all the direct flights out of Macon to Atlanta? Or can you fly directly into another city and avoid Atlanta airport?

We have even considered living as far as the Peachtree area since I do not have a normal 8 to 5 job.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 48,609 times
Currenlty the Macon Airport only has direct flights to Atlanta. I've heard somewhere that they're trying to get some major commercial airlines in there but don't think it has happened yet. As far as fishing you have Lake Oconee in Eatonton (1.5 hours from Warner Robins) and Lake Sinclair in Milledgville (1 hour or so from Warner Robins). There's also Lake Juliete (30 minutes or so) and Lake Tobesofkee in Macon/Lizella (30 minutes or so). The best fishing is Lake Oconee (formed by Georgia Power) or Lake Sinclair. Tobesofkee has turned more into a jetski/boat ride haven with very little good fishing holes so you have to get there early to anchor down at one of the few good spots for crappie night fishing. We prefer camping at Parks Ferry on Lake Oconee (older quieter setting) and fishing there. There are two other campsites for the louder younger crowds. The down fall is you really have to become familiar with the lake especially the coves because there are a lot of stumps but they make the bass fishing great. There's a new lake that opened up in Hawkinsville Georgia (15 minutes or so) but haven't been there so can't say one way or the other about it. The river is the Ocmulgee but I'm not into river fishing but have many friends who do and love it.

There are plenty of houses going up daily in Warner Robins but most have the roof almost touching the neighbors house. Byron is a nice place to live. I raised two boys there however, currently the only public high school is in Fort Valley and my second son (honor student in Elem. and Mid) hated it because he said they didn't teach there - he still graduated early tho. Byron's Elem and Middle schools are top notch though. Perry is very nice and the schools there are highly recommended. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Forsyth and their schools but can't say personally. Good Luck and stay clear of Macon though especially with school aged children.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,569 times
No...the best lake near Houston county would be West Point Lake....Tobesofkee and Sinclair are alot alike in the area of overcrowded...Forsyth is a great place to live.....but large tracts can still be found on the Bonaire/Kathleen side of Houston county....

Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 PM

I guess I should have given you mileage on the towns - sorry. Byron is about 8 miles from Warner Robins - small but growing quickly due to the down fall of Macon. Perry is part of Houston County and is probably about 8-10 miles south of the City of Warner Robins. Forsyth (Monroe County) is probably 30 - 45 minutes from Warner Robins.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM

Never fished or camped there. Checked it out the web - two hour drive not too bad if you have a three day weekend or so.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:39 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,541 times
Warner Robins is a great city but it will probably face problems from which Macon is facing (crime, traffic, and etc.) and are working to correct. otherwise its a fast growing city. Be aware of tornadoes, the only reportedly working tornado siren is in Perry, I say this because the county had seventeen tornadoes and well most people werent warned. But, besides that and overcrowding its a great community. Also, you will probaly have occurences with the city of Macon, so be prepared for more than the dull look of suburbs.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM

20 posts, read 176,106 times
Again, thanks for the excellent info! We are relocating from Seattle and are really getting excited about the move. We have lived in Dothan, AL for a few years so we have a good idea of what to expect weather wise and culturally. I guess I will have to spend a few days driving around and checking out the areas suggested. I will definitely check out Byron, Perry, Forsyth, Bonaire/Kathleen side of Houston county.

The fishing scene looks great. I was not aware there were this many options and I cannot wait to get back on the lake. The weather in Seattle sucks except for the month of August. We are really tired of the rain (6 years now) and want to get back to a more normal and affordable lifestyle. Seattle is incredibly expensive and terrible traffic, although it is very civilized.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 AM

52 posts, read 188,025 times
I have never encountered more caring people than the ones I came into contact with some 21 years ago while living in Warner Robins. Having moved there from Savannah due to a family issue, I knew no one. I had three small children, was in a difficult marraige and after finding a job at WRPD as a dispatcher found my surrounded by some of the best friends I could ever want. When times were hard friends and neighbors pitched in without warning to help...I never asked, they just knew. I still visit friends each trip through the south, as I now reside in Indiana, brrrrr, and I do miss Warner Robins. There are plenty of good places to live surrounding the area and plenty to do within a very short drive from the area. Good luck and hopefully you will encounter the same as I did.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM

634 posts, read 2,921,860 times
Warner Robins is one of the most kid-friendly cities in Georgia. Great place to raise the kids. Schools are some of the best in Georgia and there are a couple that are nationwide rated! The houses are spacious, large yards and are cheap. The houses are pretty well spread apart, not close to each other. I don't know what Tragan is talking about. Great restaurants, childcare, and healthcare services in the are also.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 AM

13 posts, read 64,129 times
Warner Robins has great schools. Lots for the children to do - Scouts, Soccer, Softball / Baseball and other programs through the recreation center. Once in to Middle school and High school there are lots of programs through the school.

Lots of great places to eat, shop and have fun. The town has always been a great place to live with a little or no crime rate. Couple that with good schools and great people you have a great place to live.

I grew up in WR (my dad was in the USAF). I lived all around WR and when I got out of the Army in 86 I moved back to the WR/Centerville area. I considered Byron and Perry but neither community has the same caliber of schools and other infrastructure as WR / Centerville.

Not sure when you plan to move to WR/Centerville but if your still looking for housing I have a friend with a home that he can either sell or rent out. It's minutes from the Shipping at Watson and Houston Lake is zoned for some great schools (including the high school with the highest SAT Average).

I have seen here that some have suggested you consider Byron or Macon. I do not think you will be happy with their schools and the crime rate in Macon is bad and climbing. I would definitely stay away from Macon.

In any case, welcome to Wonderful Warner Robins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia