Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
with this economy I'm sure that no Ga city will produce that many jobs.....Oh yeah by the way Macon has about 5-6 new companies proposing to bring faculties here and combine with the new 7-8 faculties that came to Macon from 2006-2008 it will source over 9k......surely it will if you add the all the new proposed and completed retail developments too.
Sure it will produce that many jobs. The plant will be done next year. All of these other suppliers are currently under construction or will be in 2009. Macon is not creating 9,000 new jobs, I am sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 04:02 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Sure it will produce that many jobs. The plant will be done next year. All of these other suppliers are currently under construction or will be in 2009. Macon is not creating 9,000 new jobs, I am sorry.
columbus is not either, thats whats sorry.....

Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It is the Columbus region I am talking about. Columbus, along with all of the other cities will gain a lot from this. It's no different than Atlanta gaining 70,000 jobs per year. Are all of those jobs in Atlanta? No, they are spread out over the entire Atlanta region.

Well actually, Columbus will once BRAC is in place by 2011 .

Time for Thanksgiving. Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
USATODAY.com - Who's the biggest fish in the South?

In a more magnanimous moment, Williams says he's glad to see the economic emergence of other Southern cities because it enables the Southeast to compete against other regions. "The Southeast is converging, not competing," he says. "You look forward 20 years from now, you're going to have this entire region connected by high-speed rail. Birmingham, Atlanta, Macon (Ga.), Chattanooga (Tenn.), Greenville (S.C.) and Charlotte will converge"

Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 AM

107 posts, read 309,577 times
Quote:
USATODAY.com - Who's the biggest fish in the South?

In a more magnanimous moment, Williams says he's glad to see the economic emergence of other Southern cities because it enables the Southeast to compete against other regions. "The Southeast is converging, not competing," he says. "You look forward 20 years from now, you're going to have this entire region connected by high-speed rail. Birmingham, Atlanta, Macon (Ga.), Chattanooga (Tenn.), Greenville (S.C.) and Charlotte will converge"
This is good news for these southern cities and obviously reflects the fact that Columbus has no leverage or economic value in the coming years.
The city is falling apart literally as its infrastructure continues to deteriorate(water/sewage,parks,roads,etc).
Even the local Riverwatch watchdog group is scaling back now and will have to go all volunteer to keep its Natural History museum open in the Uptown area due to declining attendance.
They spent 3 million dollars to keep the Naval Museum alive even with volunteers and are losing more money than they were before..

In order for any community to thrive,good paying jobs are a must in order to support local growth but unfortunately city leaders are looking for ways to line their pockets rather than job creation for local taxpaying citizens.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Please understand everyone that Courier23 is just a troublemaker on here. His statements about Columbus are false. He never provides any statistical evidence. He is obviously bitter about life so therefore he takes his frustration out on Columbus. He fails to remember that Columbus is home to some of the nations and South's most recognized companies like AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, Char-broil, Realtree Outdoors, etc. Columbus will always thrive sir, I am sorry. Just ride anywhere in this city and you will see progress.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Please understand everyone that Courier23 is just a troublemaker on here. His statements about Columbus are false. He never provides any statistical evidence. He is obviously bitter about life so therefore he takes his frustration out on Columbus. He fails to remember that Columbus is home to some of the nations and South's most recognized companies like AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, Char-broil, Realtree Outdoors, etc. Columbus will always thrive sir, I am sorry. Just ride anywhere in this city and you will see progress.
I don't think anyone is paying much attention to you these days...
Charbroil is long gone
Realtree Outdoors....souths most recognized company?? rofl

The cities largest employer is the school system(and it is in shambles as we speak)..that pretty much sums it up.
Any local employer worth anything will tell you the city has become a "handout or freebie" community and that living costs/taxes have skyrocketed locally(even higher than many larger cities) with wages well below the national average.
Do your homework...
Show me anything south of macon road with progress..unless you mean poverty and empty retail growth.and I mean growth in jobs etc not another school bldg or library/museum.

Get ready for another generic reply folks..rofl

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly.....
AtlCol1 just cannot accept the fact that Columbus is fading away...
Columbus needs to start paying its way by bringing decent paying jobs to Columbus which increase the tax digest rather than depending on handouts from state and federal govt.
Brac and Kia are not gonna fill the bill but will cause bigger problems locally (especially BRAC) as it is the city govts BIGGEST worry right now!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 AM

Poor, poor Courier23.....so clueless to everything. Man, I'll admit, I am actually feeling sorry for you. You just don't know anything, but that's OK, you will learn. You have obviously not been in south Columbus in awhile. There are hotels springing up everywhere. The area is improving daily. Columbus has always been successful compared to other mid-sized cities and you know it.

I want you to be honest, where is Columbus lacking compared to other 2nd tier cities?

Where are these vacant retail buildings you are always talking about (I can't think of any hardly)?

Be honest and provide REAL information.

Reason I ask is because you can never back anything up. So go ahead, the floor is yours........

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Poor, poor Courier23.....so clueless to everything. Man, I'll admit, I am actually feeling sorry for you. You just don't know anything, but that's OK, you will learn. You have obviously not been in south Columbus in awhile. There are hotels springing up everywhere. The area is improving daily. Columbus has always been successful compared to other mid-sized cities and you know it.

I want you to be honest, where is Columbus lacking compared to other 2nd tier cities?

Where are these vacant retail buildings you are always talking about (I can't think of any hardly)?

Be honest and provide REAL information.

Reason I ask is because you can never back anything up. So go ahead, the floor is yours........
There is your generic answer folks...
There is a lot of city below macon road and he mentions a couple of small motels for jobs...rofl
Heading south for a little R&R after a fantastic holiday weekend(and a lot of snow)...hope everyone had a great weekend too!!
Stay safe and see you soon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia