Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM

18 posts, read 64,588 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I want to move out of California. I'm 24 and he is 28 and we don't have any children. I grew up in a small suburb town outside of Sacramento, Ca and he grew up in an even smaller town in SE Texas. We would like to find an older more historic town with a small population preferrably around 5,000 or less. We like the green country setting, more of the country lifestyle he was used to in Texas. We are not concerned about schools since we don't have any children, however we would like to live in an older community, with older homes(no cookie cutter homes like here in CA). Preferrably somewhere very country, with a low cost of living and not predominately religious, so my redneck old man willl fit in. Please if anyone can please give us any advice, it would be greatly appreciated! We were thinking about TN, but my mom said Georgia was beautiful!The town has to be semi close to a larger city for college and work, thanks so much..ur really helping out so much!! Any pics would be sooooo helpful since we have no idea what it looks like there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,398,324 times
How about Cartersville, GA, pop-15,000+?
New Georgia Encyclopedia: Cartersville

Just NW of Atlanta and Kennesaw State College/University? is about an hour away.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM

167 posts, read 860,619 times
I second Cartersville or maybe even Rome. Rome has two colleges you can check out. The area between Cartersville and Rome is rolling hills and farmland. There are beautiful state parks all around northwest GA with mountain views and wooded forest. Both places have neat downtown areas but are a little bigger than you wanted. You may want to look into Kingston, a tiny little town in between Rome and Cartersville. The downtown isn't much, but it has a neat history and it is rural. North of the little downtown is an area called Barnsley Gardens, that once had this grand mansion and manicured grounds. Beautiful area. A little further up the interstate is Adairsville, but the commute would be a bear going into Atlanta.
You are going to run into cookie cutters in both these towns, but mostly older homes like you mentioned.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM

18 posts, read 64,588 times
Thank you guys for your help, I will definately check em out. I was looking at smaller towns outside of Columbus as well, anyone know anything about the rural communities outside of Columbus?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,398,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy242008 View Post
Thank you guys for your help, I will definately check em out. I was looking at smaller towns outside of Columbus as well, anyone know anything about the rural communities outside of Columbus?
Go Here>>>
Muscogee County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The area must have developed since I last visited over a decade ago but there wasn't much there.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 PM

913 posts, read 2,971,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy242008 View Post
For a small town outside of Columbus, I would check out Hamilton, Pine Mountain, and Warm Springs. All are beautiful towns that are close to the amenities of Columbus and Atlanta. Callaway Gardens is located in the area as well. From these towns you are less than 30 minutes from Columbus and less than an hour from Atlanta. The area is really nice.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM

107 posts, read 307,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
For a small town outside of Columbus, I would check out Hamilton, Pine Mountain, and Warm Springs. All are beautiful towns that are close to the amenities of Columbus and Atlanta. Callaway Gardens is located in the area as well. From these towns you are less than 30 minutes from Columbus and less than an hour from Atlanta. The area is really nice.

This poster has been wanting to move to about 20 new small country towns...lol
Must be getting lonely AtlCol1...
When are you going to tell everyone about all the snow Columbus gets too? lmao
I brought you up at our card game down here in Clearwater last night and they could not stop laughing......thanks again.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM

107 posts, read 307,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Go Here>>>
Muscogee County, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The area must have developed since I last visited over a decade ago but there wasn't much there.
Oh yeah...it has definitely developed lol

Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM

missy242008,

Please don't pay attention to Courier23. He is always lurking on here waiting for me to post something. He doesn't know anything. I will be glad to answer your questions because I have a home in the area. Hope you can take a trip this way soon.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM

If you have any specific questions send me a message, don't want Courier23 chiming in like he always does. I'll be glad to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia