Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times

Advertisements

what about the proposed i-185 extension from columbus through albany, thomasville, and ending on i-10 in monticello? i remember reading more about it on the GADOT website awhile back, but i couldn't find it on there again.

the thomas county commission was heavily opposed to the idea of an interstate in the county. there are a lot of businesses and a lot of traffic on 319, and i think they are worried that an interstate on the west side of thomasville could badly hurt those businesses with traffic going to and from tallahassee being diverted to the interstate.

i thought it was a pretty good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:52 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,403 times
Does this mean GADOT totally trashed the idea of an I-12 ext from Quincey, FL to Brunswick GA? Never had a lot of publicity but was out there as an option. It basically followed 12 to Iamonia then crossed into GA on the 319 and at Thomasville it followed 84 the remainder, with only short bypasses around downtown Valdosta and Waycross. This offered all those cities multiple interstate access ramps very close in instead the usual 5-10 miles out.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Does this mean GADOT totally trashed the idea of an I-12 ext from Quincey, FL to Brunswick GA? Never had a lot of publicity but was out there as an option. It basically followed 12 to Iamonia then crossed into GA on the 319 and at Thomasville it followed 84 the remainder, with only short bypasses around downtown Valdosta and Waycross. This offered all those cities multiple interstate access ramps very close in instead the usual 5-10 miles out.
i've never heard of that one.

hwy 84 was expanded to 4 lanes from thomasville to quitman about 16 years ago; it was already 4 lanes from quitman to the eastern lowndes county line. i'm not sure when that expansion took place; its been that way since i can remember.

about 2 years ago the segment from the eastern lowndes county border to the east side of homerville was expanded to 4 lanes, and it is supposed to continue on to waycross but i'm not sure when that will happen.

i think the intention was to 4 lane hwy 84 its entire stretch across georgia. i can't remember if it is 2 lanes from cairo to bainbridge, but i know it is 2 lanes between waycross and savannah. if i remember correctly roy barnes had started some type of initiative to have a 4 lane highway within 15 miles or so of every town in georgia.

an east-west bypass around valdosta would be great. the traffic is not that bad right now (except the afternoon rush) but its better to be proactive. there's really no delay between thomasville and valdosta on hwy 84. there's only 3 traffic lights in quitman adding maybe 5 minutes to the trip. waycross is not that bad either for traffic. 84 merges with 82 in waycross and they have a couple of overpasses that get you right through downtown. the only stop is at the 82/84-US 1 junction.

i don't think such an extension is feasible at this time. there's not enough delay on hwy 84 to warrant the interstate; i would be extremely happy if they'd finish the 4 lane work to waycross. the 2 lane stretch between homerville and waycross can get pretty backed up if you've got a slow-poke at the front of the line. i make that trip on a regular basis, and actually drove that stretch tonight going to my wife's family christmas get-together in baxley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia