Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 PM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitivelycharming View Post
Overall Columbus offers more variety.....

lolwut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 PM

39 posts, read 126,351 times
Columbus does offer more variety. Nice town.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Trying to compare Savannah's amenities Vs. Columbus' amenities, is pretty laughable.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 AM

39 posts, read 126,351 times
nice evidence King_X. im laughing so hard btw (means "by the way") haha.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 AM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Trying to compare Savannah's amenities Vs. Columbus' amenities, is pretty laughable.
It pretty much is.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 AM

skelo31, I have visited SAV many times and lived in Columbus awhile for school. It doesn't take one but a simple drive through the cities to see that Savannah is more vibrant than Columbus. Columbus is DEAD for city of its listed population. Show me most of the other cities in America with 180,000-190,000 people and I will find busy interstates, 2 or 3 malls, and an "urban" skyline. Coumbus doesnt even have any of that.

IF someone goes to Columbus, GA expecting the same amenities they can find in other cities of similar population size, then they will be disappointed

Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 AM

You cant deny it

Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
You cant deny it
You must have not gone out much.. I am 25 and find plenty of things do to. Columbus is vibrant. Plenty of concerts, bars, clubs, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc. Skylines don't make cities. For that fact, Columbus has taller buildings than any other city in GA except metro Atlanta, they just aren't clumped together downtown.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 AM

201 posts, read 540,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
You must have not gone out much.. I am 25 and find plenty of things do to. Columbus is vibrant. Plenty of concerts, bars, clubs, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc. Skylines don't make cities. For that fact, Columbus has taller buildings than any other city in GA except metro Atlanta, they just aren't clumped together downtown.
Kings X,
This poster has been going around and around about Columbus being some kind of oasis in west georgia with the same tired descriptions.
A vibrant town that only grows by 700 people a year?(and that is counting the entire valley area incl Ft Benning)

He still has not responded to following after several attempts........Case Closed Chris..

The household income in Columbus GA has declined from the inflation-adjusted 2000 income levels. The income level has decreased to $33,453, which amounts to a 17.2 percent decline. The Columbus, GA-AL MSA, when comparing total percent of decline, ranks 4 of 6 metro area in percent of decline for median household income in the State of Georgia. Columbus ranks 15 of 233 metro area when comparing the decline in median income level for the United States.

When compared to other Metro Areas throughout the United States, the Columbus metro area had a relatively low median household income of $40,379 (2005 Dollars). The income level is 23 percent lower than the median in State of Georgia of $49,647 and the median is 21.7 percent lower than the median household income level in the US of $49,133.

As the median income level saw a decline from 2000 to 2005 in the Columbus, GA-AL metro area, the Race/Ethnicity category that saw the sharpest decline in median household income was the Hispanic category. This group felt a decline of 43.3 percent from 2000 to 2005. The American Indian and Alaska Native Race/Ethnicity category has been least effected by the income level decline in Columbus, undergoing a 2 percent increase in household income, since the reported levels in 2000.

Evaluated with other MSAs across the nation, the Columbus metro area can be considered to have a relatively high rate of poverty among its population, accounting a rate of 15.6 percent with a family income under the 1999 poverty level. The Black or African American race/ethnicity population category, holds the highest rate of poverty with 24.6 percent of the people in 2000 living in poverty. The population that is aged Under 5 years have the most percent of people living in poverty in Columbus, having 24 percent of the population in this age category living in poverty.

The poverty rate in the Columbus, GA-AL Metro has increased by 3.8 percent since the amount published in 2000, moving from 15.6 percent to 19.4 percent.

Datasource: U.S. Bureau of the Census.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 AM

Columbus1984, I'm younger than you, but read what I typed very carefully. I said Columbus has NO WHERE near the amenities you would expect FOR A CITY WITH ITS POPULATION

Let me give you an example, we have a nice shopping center called Eisenhower Crossing. It's nice, but in Macon it's just referred to as...you know..just another nice shopping area.

When I got to Columbus, all I heard was "THE STRIP MALL" this...."THE STRIP MALL" that.....
I finally got a chance to check it out...and basically it was another "Eisenhower Crossing"

The simple display of how people in Columbus were so excited and went on and on about what was referred to as a "STRIP MALL" there...that was basically the same thing as "Eisenhower Crossing" (which Macon people do not even really mention much)....just goes to show me personally how little there is there.

Not to mention when there was this Big concert there where an R&B singer refused to perform in Columbus and called the place "too small for her ".....(which was wrong of her) people in Columbus were saying how wrong it was because Columbus hadnt had a concert of that magnitude there before and blah blah.....

I was puzzled because the size of that particular show that went on in Columbus that night, goes on in Macon all the time.

We actually have a "celebrity tuesdays" at a place in Macon....does Columbus have something like that?

I mean it does have some things but definetly not the type of things you expect from a city of its populaton

Come on man go to somewhere like Dayton, Toledo, Huntsville (Bama), Chattanooga,
they have way more things than Columbus dude!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia