Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 AM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times

Advertisements

Currently working as civilian for the Army at Fort Stewart near Savannah, GA and have opportunity to become permenant at either location. Have been Ft Stewart for several months and would like to know which is a better city to live in. I have a high and middle schooler and my wife can work from the home. We are middle income family that always looks for living in the best public school districts. I love anything outdoors-fishing,hunting,camping,boating. Thanks for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Savannah, hands down.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 AM

107 posts, read 309,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Savannah, hands down.
Absolutely...Columbus/Fort Benning area cannot even come close to Savannah area.
Hinesville has had the largest influx of active/retired military growth up 25% according GPR.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Fort Benning offers more, but Savannah's historic charm is great. Columbus is a great city too. The two cities can't be compared.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:18 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,335 times
I heard its better to visit Savannah than live there. Is ther any truth to that?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM

782 posts, read 1,355,474 times
I'm leaning toward Savannah, mostly because of the Georgia Coast (the fishing). Which area is more progressive? I'm not familiar with Columbus or Ft Benning at all.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 PM

107 posts, read 309,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I'm leaning toward Savannah, mostly because of the Georgia Coast (the fishing). Which area is more progressive? I'm not familiar with Columbus or Ft Benning at all.
Take my word for it....the Columbus/Ft Benning area is far from progressive and at least 10-15 years behind other cities of similar size and population.
A very slow stagnant community.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courier23 View Post
You will find over the long haul that Woodstock was better than a dream job in Columbus..
Really? To me job satisfaction is way more important than the right zip code. Woodstock is nice and all but if you're not going to be happy then what's the point? So I disagree.

Ironically enough I left Columbus for a job while Ahicks came to Columbus for a job. In some ways my life is better now that I"m up here. In some ways I miss the life I had in Columbus. However I had a problem with being underemployed and didn't know how I would pay my rent. So my situation was a little more dire.

With the state of the economy I'm sure there are going to be more people relocating for a job.

My point is that I disagree with implying that moving somewhere for a dream job is something silly or immature.

I love that saying "Let your hater be your motivator."

So quit hating. Columbus isn't perfect but it's not THAT bad.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
So the question of Columbus or Savannah.

From my understanding Columbus is cheaper than Savannah. Traffic is nicer in Columbus too.

However if living in a progressive more liberal place then Savannah would probably be your place. Columbus is fairly conservative but there are kinds of people in Columbus though.

Also Savannah is closer the beach. Because there are more tourist dollars at stake Savannah does more to keep things looking nice.

However the commute from Savannah to Fort Stewart would be kinda long. So you'd either have to have a long commute or live in Hinesville. If a shorter commute is more valuable then I say Columbus if you don't care then I say go with Savannah.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Columbus is garbage. Very Dull. There is nothing at all to do there compared to the other 2nd tier cities of GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia