U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 PM

104 posts, read 490,731 times

Advertisements

I just took a house hunting trip to GA last weekend. I only had 3 days to search for a home and put in an offer. We ended up with a new construction home in Gainesville (Georgian Acres). 2800 sq. ft + basement on .81 acres for 267k.
I noticed they are widening the main road and have heard about new schools opening in 2009. I also visited the schools we are zoned for.
Now that I'm back home, I'm second guessing my choice, because I had so little time to research it. I love the home, but am quite unfamiliar with the area. What can you tell me about it? I'm curious about growth, crime, and anything else you can tell me.
We will be 10 minutes from interstate, and a 10 minute drive down the interstate to get to Buford, which seems to have everything we'd need shopping wise. I didn't have the chance to check out the area like I would have liked to.

I can still back out of our contract (less the $1000 earnest money) if I want too, but time is running out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,825,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
I just took a house hunting trip to GA last weekend. I only had 3 days to search for a home and put in an offer. We ended up with a new construction home in Gainesville (Georgian Acres). 2800 sq. ft + basement on .81 acres for 267k.
I noticed they are widening the main road and have heard about new schools opening in 2009. I also visited the schools we are zoned for.
Now that I'm back home, I'm second guessing my choice, because I had so little time to research it. I love the home, but am quite unfamiliar with the area. What can you tell me about it? I'm curious about growth, crime, and anything else you can tell me.

I didn't have the chance to check out the area like I would have liked to...
Do you really want honest opinions or do you just want reassurance? I will give you my honest opinion and some reassurance as well.

My opinion: As an adult, a parent with childen watching and learning, you should honor the sales contract you signed and deal with the consequences for better or worse.

My reassurance: Even if you have regrets about your impulsive purchase decision later, honor is still worth at least $1,000.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Do you really want honest opinions or do you just want reassurance? I will give you my honest opinion and some reassurance as well.

My opinion: As an adult, a parent with childen watching and learning, you should honor the sales contract you signed and deal with the consequences for better or worse.

My reassurance: Even if you have regrets about your impulsive purchase decision later, honor is still worth at least $1,000.

Not really helping me here Figment. I wasn't concerned with honor or $1000, my concerns were the location of the home and the city of Gainesville.

I have 3 small children, the oldest who will be 5 in May. They are completely oblivious and would not be affected in any way, regardless of whether I chose to back out of the contract, or buy the home. The builder stands to lose nothing, as the home never even made it to the MLS, it's not complete yet.

So my question still remains, what can you, or anyone tell me about Gainesville as far as quality of life, atmosphere, and being a good place (or not) to raise a family? I didn't get the chance to really drive around the city, as I was covering many cities in my short trip. Believe me, lesson learned!

Regarding honor, sure, it's important, but I'd rather disappoint the builder and make the right decision for my family. Family trumps in this case.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:46 AM

10,218 posts, read 20,997,298 times
I apologize for hurting your feelings. Good luck with the house.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 AM

19 posts, read 102,918 times
Default A little info

My wife and I just moved to Gainesville in November of last year from Florida. We live off of 53 on the north end of town so I don't know much about the area you buoght in. I see its between 985 and 85. We rented an apartment because we weren't sure where we'd end up.
Looking at the pictures of the subdivision it looks like you are getting a very nice house. We are actually looking to move over by 400 near Dahlonega, becuase of my wife's job in Cumming. And its a lot more unpopulated, but Gainesville isnt bad at all. There are many Mexicans here but they keep to themselves. Just get ready when you go to Walmart on a weekend. Its full of them. There are some older parts to the city that aren't the best looking,but the newer area on 53 is very nice. Best Buy, Publix, a lot of restaurants, etc. The traffic can get pretty busy too. I work for FedEx so I get to see a lot more of the city than I would probably want to, so you can choose where you go.
About raising children, I can't help with that since we have no kids. But for things to do for the family, we take a trip every weekend to different places. It only takes about 30 minutes to get to the mountains up north and a lot of nature type things that we enjoy.
Well, I hope this helps. I personally would rent first. You will soon find out all the different places that might fit your style a little better. But not knowing you, you might have made the perfect choice. Good luck and if you need any more info, I'll give it my best shot.

Steve

Old 03-04-2007, 06:39 AM

THANK YOU! This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Good luck to you and your wife on your move. Seems like the area you are looking at will be very peaceful.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDotson View Post
My wife and I just moved to Gainesville in November of last year from Florida. We live off of 53 on the north end of town so I don't know much about the area you buoght in. I see its between 985 and 85. We rented an apartment because we weren't sure where we'd end up.
Looking at the pictures of the subdivision it looks like you are getting a very nice house. We are actually looking to move over by 400 near Dahlonega, becuase of my wife's job in Cumming. And its a lot more unpopulated, but Gainesville isnt bad at all. There are many Mexicans here but they keep to themselves. Just get ready when you go to Walmart on a weekend. Its full of them. There are some older parts to the city that aren't the best looking,but the newer area on 53 is very nice. Best Buy, Publix, a lot of restaurants, etc. The traffic can get pretty busy too. I work for FedEx so I get to see a lot more of the city than I would probably want to, so you can choose where you go.
About raising children, I can't help with that since we have no kids. But for things to do for the family, we take a trip every weekend to different places. It only takes about 30 minutes to get to the mountains up north and a lot of nature type things that we enjoy.
Well, I hope this helps. I personally would rent first. You will soon find out all the different places that might fit your style a little better. But not knowing you, you might have made the perfect choice. Good luck and if you need any more info, I'll give it my best shot.

Steve

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,766 times
Default Gainesville Area

You are buying so much house for your money. My husband and I have been in South Hall for the past 9 years. We now have 3 children and have fallen in love with Georgian Acres. The schools are solid and improving daily. My husband teaches at Johnson high school and I have taught in nearby Forsyth for the past few years and I am moving to Hall county to teach. Your children will be in good schools with a nice mix of diversity. You are close to all the major conveniences. I think you will be pleased with the area. I have a tendency to gravitate toward Buford and the Mall area, but my parents are close to that area as well. You have made a good choice and you will find that you are getting an incredible amount of house for the money!

Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 10,460 times
Instead of taking advice from these random people and their thoughts on your "deal", you might want to hire an independent appraiser. Not one hired by the "builders preferred lender" or a commision based lender/sales person at some other institution that only gets paid if your purchase closes. This way you might get an honest opinion on what the house is worth and not just a bunch of smoke up your ass. Why do you think the real estate market is in the condition it is in? The lenders/loan officers choose their own apprasier. The independent apprasier you hire might be the best $350 you ever spent. Another question, did you have a "buyers agent" (a real estate agent looking out for your best interests) that knows the market and not just the on site agent blowing smoke up your ass? There are too many really good deals out there right now to be buying a new house from a developer.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 PM

Also,

It is always better rent 1st in a market you don't know. This way don't pay a large "stupid tax"(Dave Ramsey's line) when you decide to sell. Did you know that there are 2 very active automobile race tracks with a lot of noise pollution in the summer on every Saturaday night and many Sunday's less than a mile away? It is very loud. Just a thought... Be sure and know everything before you spend 1/4 million dollars +.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM

If you have done your homework and still want to buy, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or