Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 AM

102 posts, read 503,935 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to NW Georgia, looking for a simpler life, CHEAPER life, and a great place for our two daughters to finish school before entering college. We live in NC and it has s high cost of living and our town has been taken over by illegal immigrants so that is a big factor in where we look. Not racist really but if I wanted to live in Mexico, I would. Much cheaper there, I here.

Our duaghters are of course upset about the thought of leaving friends but the HOPE scholarship sounds wonderful. Nothing like that here. Is it hard for kids to fit in at school? I would worry about that. My girls are A students and would like it to stay that way, very pretty and nice, and would worry if they left friends and we moved down there and they were "outsiders"....any thoughts?

Also, I found some places in Rising Fawn and Chickamauga that were priced great ($50 - 80k) which is unheard of here in NC. How easy is it to find a place to rent (nice doublewide would be fine) or lease/purchase? We are having trouble selling ours like the rest of the world I guess so will need to rent it out. Anyone know of a really nice real estate agent to work with down there?

Any information ya'll could give me would be great. Thanks so much for listening and I look forward to talking to you all soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

71 posts, read 706,132 times
I haven't been to Chickamauga in many years, but it has - has always had - a fantastic school system right in town.
Rising Fawn is a lovely area but it is outside the city limits of Chickamauga - sort of out in the country.
Double-wide? I just wouldn't go that way if I were you. It definitely carries a reputation.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks Cotton.....you just never know. School system sounds great in Chickamauga. Is it possible to find decent homes in the area for less than $100,000? My hubby works way too many hours so would like for him to be able to be home a little more with the less expensive housing....

Thanks again!!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM

10 posts, read 60,543 times
Trenton, Georgia is just beautiful. Not far from Chickamauga and very close to Chattanooga.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Thank you GAMom73....we are really looking forward to coming down over Thanksgiving weekend, look around at some of the area towns. If you all can, would you care to give me opinions on these towns? These are on the list to take a serious look at: Chickamauga, Rising Fawn, Trenton, LaFayette, Fort Oglethorpe, Sand Mountain, Flintstone and Ringgold....family of 4 (2 girls), hubby works out of town so safety is a great thing, schools (where new kids can "fit in"), AND inexpensive housing. Would like husband to come off the road a bit, not work so hard to pay house payments, etc. Thank you so much for any info.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Luvs, I live in Chattanooga and spend some time in both Chickamauga and LaFayette. I love both of those cities. Rising Fawn and Trenton are nice as well. I don't know about Sand Mtn as that area has an infamous reputation as KKK land from the "old days" and that NO person of color would dare tread there. Urban legend, I don't know. That's just what we hear in Chattanooga. For those in the know, please correct me if I have overstepped or offended anyone. Flintstone is the closest to Chattanooga, just outside of the city limits. Cute area but no town "circle" if that's what you are looking for.

Chickamauga would be my first pick. I love both the farmland and the downtown area. The school buildings are all together from elementary through 12th and it is like a college campus. There is something about paying some money each year to attend those public schools IF you live in the county/outside the city limits or some such thing. You might want to look into that. There are a few posts about this area if you do a search.

All of those areas are in close proximity of Chattanooga if you are in need of a job and cannot find anything locally. I will p.m. you some realtor info. Good luck and let us know how things go

Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM

JKMeWright....thank you so much for all of the info and look forward to the pm from you. I will sure keep your info and let you know how things go. We are coming down over turkey day weekend and are very excited about that. I will talk to you after that to compare notes. Again, thanks so much!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,553 times
You speak of Sand Mt. and the KKK? It is clearly evident in the NW corner and especially in Chickamauga!You may not care and it may not even effect you, but I just thought I would mention it. Also, rentals are a bit hard to come by in any small town, but they can be found.There are beautiful mt. views in almost any city in that area as well as cheaper housing. The Jasper area is also nice, however, housing is a bit more. Your best bet is to go visit the area for a few days and have a realtor take your around. Much luck to you and your family.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I would love to hear back from the OP as to how her trip there around Thanksgiving time went.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien View Post
You speak of Sand Mt. and the KKK? It is clearly evident in the NW corner and especially in Chickamauga! You may not care and it may not even effect you, but I just thought I would mention it. Also, rentals are a bit hard to come by in any small town, but they can be found.There are beautiful mt. views in almost any city in that area as well as cheaper housing. The Jasper area is also nice, however, housing is a bit more. Your best bet is to go visit the area for a few days and have a realtor take your around. Much luck to you and your family.
You are right. Sand Mtn is INFAMOUS for that kind of activity around here in the "old days" but I can't say that's the it's limited to AL only. Heck, it was founded in Pulaski TN! Racism of any sort effects everyone and yes, I do care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia