U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: Columbus, real estate, cost of living, housing, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 AM

201 posts, read 493,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
The manufacturing side is in China, but the corporate part is still in Columbus. It's all W.C. Bradley which has a lot of things. People know the name Char-Broil. I agree it doesn't have the presence that it once had, but it is still a Columbus company. My family helped build Columbus so I think I have a lot of credibility when posting.
My question would be "Why did you not make that clear in original post?"
I don't think I would want to lay claim for my family building the city either as it has been chaotic and backwards at best.
You seem to dance around posters responses when they catch you shall we say overexaggerating city features as the other 2 posters have.
Some folks are happy with mediocre progress or none at all because they cannot compete with the big boys as seems to be the case with many columbus residents who lack education and common sense.
You can talk the talk but you cannot hide the reality most people see around the Columbus area but good luck trying.
Maybe it is just that your family has not finished their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,012,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
I don't think I would want to lay claim for my family building the city either as it has been chaotic and backwards at best.
Some folks are happy with mediocre progress or none at all because they cannot compete with the big boys as seems to be the case with many columbus residents who lack education and common sense.
You can talk the talk but you cannot hide the reality most people see around the Columbus area but good luck trying.
Maybe it is just that your family has not finished their job.
If you think it's bad here, you should check out the data on some of the other cities in GA and the South. Have you ever lived someplace else after you graduated from college? If you have, why in the world did you choose Columbus and continue to stay? Attorney at Law.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
If you think it's bad here, you should check out the data on some of the other cities in GA and the South. Have you ever lived someplace else after you graduated from college? If you have, why in the world did you choose Columbus and continue to stay? Attorney at Law.
Your posts show an obvious bias to anyone who may be a bit better off than yourself for whatever the reason.
You may want to make a New Years resolution and make a little more effort to improve your situation as it surely isn't my fault nor anyone else.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,675,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
Here's my thing. I'm married with two kids and we moved to Macon a few years ago and it was ok when we first got here. Lately, however we have been planning on moving away from here because I hear from people that Augusta and Columbus has the better jobs and better living styles. I dont want any negative information about Augusta and Columbus. We have visited both of these cities and Augusta seemed slightly bigger and Columbus seemed more laid back, but the neighborhoods were nicer from what we seen.

Could someone give me good news on Augusta and Columbus?

How's the quality of life and schools because we have two younger kids?

My husband was real estate license, is that a good thing to do in Augusta or Columbus?

We been doing research on jobs in the future for these two cities and it seems as if they are heading in the correct direction?

Anyone from these two cities please help us!!
Columbus has some good things going for the city. But Augusta is and feels bigger than Columbus. Augusta has nicer and more suburbs to choose from if you don't want to live in the city. Lagrange/Phenix City/Opelika/West Point/Auburn suburb of or city around Columbus. Aren't nearly as built up and connected to Columbus. As Aiken/Evans/North Augusta/Martinez/Grovetown/Hephzibah/Thomson are to Augusta.

The growth in Augusta hasn't slowed down the last two year's. Like other cities in GA and around the country. Partly because we have tons of goverment projects going on. There will be more growth in Augusta(especially downtown) in 2009 than what happen in 2008. Which is strange when you think of how the economy is.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM

2,229 posts, read 3,480,024 times
Thanks everyone for the information. My husband and I have chosen and we chose Columbus as our new home. After reading articles online and doing some research, it was a no-brainer to me. The fact that it was ranked 4th as the best place to raise a family done it for us. We also liked the fact that the area is adding thousands of troops, which means growth and that served us well. We're moving to Columbus (Midland) in February.

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the information. My husband and I have chosen and we chose Columbus as our new home. After reading articles online and doing some research, it was a no-brainer to me. The fact that it was ranked 4th as the best place to raise a family done it for us. We also liked the fact that the area is adding thousands of troops, which means growth and that served us well. We're moving to Columbus (Midland) in February.

Thanks again!!!

Great choice!!!! Couldn't have went wrong with either one, I know you're happy to escape Macon!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Great choice!!!! Couldn't have went wrong with either one, I know you're happy to escape Macon!

Yes indeed, I feel in love with Columbus when we got there, I like the way that its spread out and the northern part is awesome. My husband and I were surprised to see some of those nice neighborhood up that way and the ones in Midland. We're moving to Midland because it was so quiet and the area was nice looking!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed, I feel in love with Columbus when we got there, I like the way that its spread out and the northern part is awesome. My husband and I were surprised to see some of those nice neighborhood up that way and the ones in Midland. We're moving to Midland because it was so quiet and the area was nice looking!
Please be forewarned..this has been going on for quite some time in Midland all the way out from Lynch road to McKee back to County Line Rd.
Questions have been forthcoming as to why the area has not been warned or any media coverage.
House values have dropped recently in the area reflected by this dilemma as most are being pillaged by groups from smaller poverty stricken areas nearby(Box Springs,Mauk,Talbotten,Geneva,Buena Vista etc) along with a massive amount of late night home invasions(most reported after 2am).
It is impossible for Columbus Police to get out that far in a reasonable amount of time and crooks know this.

http://www.intowncolumbus.com/forum/...-in-midland-ga

Last edited by Columbusattorney; 01-04-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,410,939 times
I believe the original question was whether it would be better to live in Augusta or Macon. The answer will depend on what you are looking for. If your employment background is medical related, then definately Augusta. If your employment background is in IT, accounting, or management, then I would say Columbus. I believe teh metro Augusta area is slightly larger than metro Columbus and may offer slightly more shopping and dining options, on the other hand, Columbus is about an hours drive closer to Atlanta.. so if you woudl frequently like to go to Atlanta or use Hartsfield airport, then you may prefer Columbus. Overall... the cities are very similar. I think Columbus has a better local government... we are trying to get our act together in Augusta.. and I think the tide has been turned here in regards to the local government.. the racial tension is not as bad as it used to be, but it is still there. Do I think the main criteria for choosing between the two is what line of work you are in and how close or far you want to be from Atlanta...
OH also.... are you a gulf coast beach person or an atlantic coast beach person.. both cities are about the same distance from the beach.. but in Columbus you will be closer to the gulf coast of Florida beaches and in Augusta you will be closer to the atlantic coast beaches like Tybee, Hilton Head and Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or