Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Georgia: Columbus, real estate, cost of living, housing, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,612,891 times

Advertisements

Here's my thing. I'm married with two kids and we moved to Macon a few years ago and it was ok when we first got here. Lately, however we have been planning on moving away from here because I hear from people that Augusta and Columbus has the better jobs and better living styles. I dont want any negative information about Augusta and Columbus. We have visited both of these cities and Augusta seemed slightly bigger and Columbus seemed more laid back, but the neighborhoods were nicer from what we seen.

Could someone give me good news on Augusta and Columbus?

How's the quality of life and schools because we have two younger kids?

My husband was real estate license, is that a good thing to do in Augusta or Columbus?

We been doing research on jobs in the future for these two cities and it seems as if they are heading in the correct direction?

Anyone from these two cities please help us!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
Here's my thing. I'm married with two kids and we moved to Macon a few years ago and it was ok when we first got here. Lately, however we have been planning on moving away from here because I hear from people that Augusta and Columbus has the better jobs and better living styles. I dont want any negative information about Augusta and Columbus. We have visited both of these cities and Augusta seemed slightly bigger and Columbus seemed more laid back, but the neighborhoods were nicer from what we seen.

How's the quality of life and schools because we have two younger kids?

My husband was real estate license, is that a good thing to do in Augusta or Columbus?

We been doing research on jobs in the future for these two cities and it seems as if they are heading in the correct direction?

Anyone from these two cities please help us!!
For Columbus:

1) Large corporations like Aflac, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas,
Char-broil, etc.

2) One of the world's largest military bases, Fort Benning (home of the
infantry, rangers, and soon to be armor division)

3) Voted 4th best city in America to raise a family

4) Low cost of living, good public and private schools (Columbus High
consistently ranked #1 or #2 best public high school in the state)

5) Good mix of neighborhoods, retail, restaurants (suburbs and city)

6) Strong sense of community, very friendly, good local government

7) Strong job growth and population growth anticipated for the next 5
years.

8) Lots of outdoor activities, youth sports programs, etc.

I am in real estate as well. Columbus is definitely a real estate town. The housing market is doing better compared to other Georgia cities. With the influx of people to Fort Benning (40,000 by 2012), the housing market is starting to pick up. Also, Auburn is just a 30 mile ride which is seeing a ton of growth as well. Columbus is much closure to Atlanta than Augusta. It is also just a 3.5 hour drive to Florida's panhandle. It is just a great place to raise a family and live.

Check out this website http://www.visitcolumbusga.com/

Last edited by ATLCOL1; 01-03-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 PM

201 posts, read 540,736 times
Let him try to give you the location of Charbroil in Columbus to validate his post.
You will find it to be somewhere in China now.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,213 times
I have lived several places to include Phoenix, AZ and Denver, CO. I prefer Denver, but my family prefer Columbus. For a city with around 200K people this is nice city. Spread out like Augusta, but with a better functioning local government. We know how to get things done. There are few jobs for the unskilled here at the present time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We have great schools and universities in the area (Columbus State University, Auburn University and Troy University). The local school district is functioning well and I believe we ended the year in the "Black". I believe Augusta/Richmond County school system is currently having some budgeting problems.
By the way, Charbroil is a division of The W.C. Bradley Company, its corporate office is located in Downtown Columbus. Charbroil moved its assembly lines to China to compete with other imports and to increase its profit margins. In other words, it has done what other companies in America has been doing for years. On the plus side, if you have a good marketable skill, they might hire you. Hope this helps.
W.C. Bradley Company (http://www.wcbradley.com/index.asp - broken link)

Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
Here's my thing. I'm married with two kids and we moved to Macon a few years ago and it was ok when we first got here.

I dont want any negative information about Augusta and Columbus.
Sorry to give you bad news, but unless you find yourself living north of Columbus or west of Augusta, you will find yourself no better off than in Macon.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Sorry to give you bad news, but unless you find yourself living north of Columbus or west of Augusta, you will find yourself no better off than in Macon.
Sorry to give you the bad news. I live in East Columbus in a nice middle class subdivision. And there are many more nice subdivision south of Manchester Expressway. Columbus is a nice city. My visits to Macon have help me realize how well I've got it in Columbus. Now I know others might disagree and that's ok. But, I have lived in other places and other than Denver, CO, I prefer Columbus. A progressive government and family oriented city. Good public universities (Auburn and Columbus State), of course Auburn U is in Auburn, AL but it's in the area. Just my humble opinion.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 PM

201 posts, read 540,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
I have lived several places to include Phoenix, AZ and Denver, CO. I prefer Denver, but my family prefer Columbus. For a city with around 200K people this is nice city. Spread out like Augusta, but with a better functioning local government. We know how to get things done. There are few jobs for the unskilled here at the present time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We have great schools and universities in the area (Columbus State University, Auburn University and Troy University). The local school district is functioning well and I believe we ended the year in the "Black". I believe Augusta/Richmond County school system is currently having some budgeting problems.
By the way, Charbroil is a division of The W.C. Bradley Company, its corporate office is located in Downtown Columbus. Charbroil moved its assembly lines to China to compete with other imports and to increase its profit margins. In other words, it has done what other companies in America has been doing for years. On the plus side, if you have a good marketable skill, they might hire you. Hope this helps.
W.C. Bradley Company (http://www.wcbradley.com/index.asp - broken link)
Not to rain on your parade but the corporate office handles only minor accounting etc and is not in anyway a major corporate employer that previous poster claims.
They cashed out because their local facility needed major upgrades and was nearly run in the ground and rather than spend the money they shut it down as well as their Jamison Road unit --Bradley Direct.
It had nothing to do with competing with exports in no form or fashion.
That came straight from the horses mouth as they say.
Your post is very misleading to say the least and reflects the total lack of knowledge of locals who depend generally on media and gossip.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:55 PM
JLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Not to rain on your parade but the corporate office handles only minor accounting etc and is not in anyway a major corporate employer that previous poster claims.
They cashed out because their local facility needed major upgrades and was nearly run in the ground and rather than spend the money they shut it down as well as their jamison road unit Bradley direct.
That came straight from the horses mouth as they say.
Of course you know this is going no where? And it's not helping the original poster, at all.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Let him try to give you the location of Charbroil in Columbus to validate his post.
You will find it to be somewhere in China now.
The manufacturing side is in China, but the corporate part is still in Columbus. It's all W.C. Bradley which has a lot of things. People know the name Char-Broil. I agree it doesn't have the presence that it once had, but it is still a Columbus company. My family helped build Columbus so I think I have a lot of credibility when posting.

Last edited by ATLCOL1; 01-03-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,612,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
For Columbus:

1) Large corporations like Aflac, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas,
Char-broil, etc.

2) One of the world's largest military bases, Fort Benning (home of the
infantry, rangers, and soon to be armor division)

3) Voted 4th best city in America to raise a family

4) Low cost of living, good public and private schools (Columbus High
consistently ranked #1 or #2 best public high school in the state)

5) Good mix of neighborhoods, retail, restaurants (suburbs and city)

6) Strong sense of community, very friendly, good local government

7) Strong job growth and population growth anticipated for the next 5
years.

8) Lots of outdoor activities, youth sports programs, etc.

I am in real estate as well. Columbus is definitely a real estate town. The housing market is doing better compared to other Georgia cities. With the influx of people to Fort Benning (40,000 by 2012), the housing market is starting to pick up. Also, Auburn is just a 30 mile ride which is seeing a ton of growth as well. Columbus is much closure to Atlanta than Augusta. It is also just a 3.5 hour drive to Florida's panhandle. It is just a great place to raise a family and live.

Check out this website Columbus Georgia Convention & Visitors Bureau - Georgia travel, antique shops, hotels, restaurants, shopping, tours, Ft. Benning
Couldn't have said it any better. Columbus is awesome, you're going to see that area grow in jobs over the next 5-10 yrs and that should be great. The neighborhoods, schools, and government in Columbus seems to be going in the right direction. **** Luck in Columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia