U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,411,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, business consultant and president of JobBait.com Mark Hovind ranked every metropolitan statistical area across the country, highlighting those he deemed to be “recession-proof.” The city of Valdosta was the only Georgia city to make the list.

Story Link (http://www.industrialauthority.com/press.asp#recessionproof - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,233,881 times
Article is from April 2008 and a recent article in the local paper paints a different picture. 6.6% unemployment rate is still below the state average, but hardly "recession proof."

Valdosta Daily Times - Unemployment rises in Valdosta

Also, if you look at the current list from the source cited in the OP referenced article, Valdosta is no longer on the list of "recession-proof" cities. I personally think the list is bogus and just the fact that a city is on it, and then 8 months later isn't, proves my point. Valosta was "recession-proof" until the recession hit?

http://www.jobbait.com/a/rpa.htm

Last edited by neil0311; 01-04-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Despite this year’s rise in unemployment rates, this area is among those with the smallest increase statewide and remains under the state unemployment rate of 7 percent, according to Georgia Department of Labor reports. Areas with the highest percentage of unemployment rates and unemployment insurance claims include Dalton, Rome and Warner Robins.
That number should drop significantly in the next few months as the new local factories and distro centers start to open.

The area is doing pretty well compared with the rest of the state and country.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,233,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
The area is doing pretty well compared with the rest of the state and country.
Absolutely. I was just contrasting with the bogus claim in that old article about being "recession proof." When the rest of the state has 7.5% unemployment, 6.6% looks pretty good.

The old story about being faster than the bear comes to mind here. It goes like this:

Two strangers were out backpacking in the woods. They came upon each other and decided to walk the next bit together. Around a bend in the trail they came face to face with a bear. One stranger drops to his knee, fetches his running shoes from his backpack and begins the removing his hiking boots. The other stranger just stares and says, "There is no way you can run faster than that bear."

The kneeling stranger stands up and replies, "I don't have to be faster than the bear. I only have to be faster than you."

Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM

16 posts, read 40,451 times
I don't believe that any place is "recession proof" but, I know the local economy is stronger here than other cities I've visited. My daughter lives in Orlando which is devastated by comparison. It seems as if every other business has closed there, but, I haven't seen mass closures here. We never had a "real estate bubble" so property values have not plummeted like so many other cities. None of my family members (6 adults) have lost their job or had their hours cut. So it seems that we're fairing much better than most other locations.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodiebee View Post
We never had a "real estate bubble" so property values have not plummeted like so many other cities.
Speaking as someone in the construction/real estate industry, I can tell you we most assuredly had a bubble.

It just wasn't as large. Our property values did go down, and we were left with a massive amount of inventory.

If you weren't in the market for a new house, you probably didn't notice.

Many contractors have gone out of business in the past 18/mo and some real estate agents were forced to move on to other careers.

Overall we did pretty well though, and things have been picking back up; especially over the last two months.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 PM

16 posts, read 40,451 times
Southgeorgia you're right-I didn't notice. My daughter sold her home last summer after 3 weeks on the market for full asking price. I don't know anyone else who's tried to sell recently. I have alot of friends in South FL and compared to the way things are there, our market seems pretty stable (by comparison). I don't have any friends or family in the construction or real estate fields so I can't speak of their job security. When you visit other cities, the sad state of the economy really smacks you in the face. I've recently spent time in Orlando, Ft Lauderdale and (the hardest hit) Ft Myers. In some communities homes have lost more than 50% of their value and jobs (of any description) can't be found. It just seems we haven't experienced "the level of desperation" prevalent in many other areas of the country.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM

125 posts, read 194,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Speaking as someone in the construction/real estate industry, I can tell you we most assuredly had a bubble.

It just wasn't as large. Our property values did go down, and we were left with a massive amount of inventory.

If you weren't in the market for a new house, you probably didn't notice.

Many contractors have gone out of business in the past 18/mo and some real estate agents were forced to move on to other careers.

Overall we did pretty well though, and things have been picking back up; especially over the last two months.
I's refreshing to read something honest from a Valdosta business person. Thanks! The deception in this town in stunning! We are better off than "most" places; however, residential real estate took a significant hit during 2007 and 2008. High-end as well as low-end, across the board, has declined. Car dealers are starving. Restaurants downtown have closed (Luna & Blu come to mind). The one vibrant business is WalMart. How sad. And what filthy dirty stores they are. A pity that the entire town lives out of WalMart. Even Publix is much less busy than in years past. Some realtors have gone out of business, several building contractors have shut down completely, spec houses in high end communities stand unfinished, golf courses are empty all week. This downturn will be protracted, but I feel confident it will get better! Just wish there was more honesty about it.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsight View Post
Restaurants downtown have closed (Luna & Blu come to mind).
I heard about luna last week, but I didn't know one of the bleu's closed. which one? Q or cafe?

they're opening another in the old sportsman club building downtown. I don't recall exactly what. or maybe its possible the one you said closed is just moving into the old sportsman building?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 PM

117 posts, read 461,005 times
Valdosta is the bright spot on WALB's news coverage for sure when it comes to economic news in South Georgia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia