Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 48,962 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Peachtree City, which has been a great place to raise a family. But now that the kids are grown, we'd like to relocate to the Georgia Mountains. Any ideas of which towns would be best if we still want to commute into north Atlanta for work? Looking for a town where the housing is not in subdivisions. Just a cabin environment in the mountains, with a cute and/or funky downtown, and less than an hour's drive into north Atlanta. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 PM

19 posts, read 110,223 times
Default Dahlonega

Dahlonega would be my choice. Why? Because I live here. Also its at the norht end of 400 so its a straight shot down to ATL. There are plenty of cabin type homes and all kinds of things to do here. Check it out.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Thanks!

Actually Dahlonega and Ellijay are two of the towns I've been checking into. Both seem thriving and artistic. Maybe Dahlonega being a bit more on the creative and artistic side? Just wasn't sure about the distance and the traffic from there to Atlanta. It would really be great if we could find jobs right up there, but with the unemployment rate in GA, we'll probably have to find work in Atlanta. (Both my husband and I lost our jobs this year!!)

Will be taking a ride up there this week to check it out. Thanks again.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM

Default Jobs

Yea, jobs here arent that many. I work in FGainesville and my wife works in Cumming. But its not a bad commute. About 30 minutes each way. Again, great town!! We moved from Florida about 2 years ago and wouldnt look back

Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Default What part of Florida?

We also moved from Florida - Ft. Lauderdale area. About 18 years ago. Like Georgia, but getting tired of the Peachtree City area, now that the kids are grown. So you like Dahlonega? Do you fine the downtown area 'funky'? On the creative side, rather than the small southern town type? Like I said, PTC was great, safe, for raising kids - but it lacks any creativity. No galleries, no outside cafes - only Starbucks, no cute jazz type bars, no fun funky shops. Does Dahlonega have any of that feel?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't say "funky". Neat though. Has some nice restaurants,then there's good dive type bars with music and all. A real diverse set of people you find out there.
The square is very neat. With the old buildings, more of a southern old timey feel. We aree in our late 30s and find plenty to do up there all the time.
And with all the mountains and streams, you can go somewhere different everyday and hike or fish or whatever, it never gets boring. Always something new to see.
We live about 3 miles south of the square in a nice 19 home sub. about 1 acre lots, Just enough to feel like you in the mountains, but close enought to everything.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Ditto on Dahlonega.

It's pretty much a straight shot down GA400 almost from the town. Minus city traffic as you approach it, of course. MARTA has the North rail stations too, so you could drive down to those and ride the train the rest of the way if you're over it by then.

The Dawsonville area just South of Dahlonega is building up with a variety of shopping and restaurant (more chain stuff) if you got bored with what's in the town itself.

Of the North Georgia towns in general, personally I would also put Dahlonega on the top of my list if I could move there. FYI - The town has plans on expanding the town square with new construction in the upcoming years, but they insist it will be strictly coded so as the new stuff will look like it's been there with the original buildings the whole time, so there will in time be even more to do there.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Ellijay has grown a lot in the past 2 years. To me it has lost its appeal. Malls and stuff everywhere there now.

Dahlonega i haven't been to a while but it was a pretty place.

Right now if I could afford it, I would be looking at Young Harris and Hiawassee. Amazing views, lake close by, established vacation areas etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,258 times
Dahlonega, Clayton, and Ellijay would be at the top of my list.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks everyone! Good information. I've been to Clayton and Hiawassee. Both nice towns, especially Clayton. But unless we could find work right there in those towns, they're not commutable distances to anywhere with a lot of job choices. The search continues . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia