U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM

145 posts, read 80,933 times

Advertisements

This is my first new thread here, but I'd like to mention something to maybe help some people.

I've read a few threads where open minded multicultural, educated, liberals are concerned about settling in with conservative redneck people next door, and it pained me to see little connection and lots of misunderstanding, after all, we are all Americans, right?

Well, I'm thinking that when you expect the worst from people, that's about what you get. What would it hurt, if we learned from other cultures? You know, the liberal person stops assuming that all his ways are the only ways, and trys a little deer stew, and the conservative southern gentleperson, in heroic southern style, trys some green tea and listens to a Neil Young record long enough to make friends and invite him to go 4-wheeling, which they do most everywhere, I hear.

If you are new to a place, it's much harder to convert the town to your way of thinking, so why not find out what fun is actually to be had, instead of saying, "this place blows"?

Anyway, I'd love to see your ideas on how new Georgians could fit in with Old Georgians, and How Old Georgians can be hospitable without having to convert to Marxism.

Just kidding there, my Northern brothah! It's all in good fun, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 71,579 times
Sounds to me like you are certianly on the right track. This is after all, ONE country. Not little seperate states (or even cities or counties like some people seem to think). Americans should be Americans, no matter where they are. The Civil War ended in the 1800s.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,797,123 times
I believe the greater question is how to get Americans in general to be more civil to each other, and respect their neighbors in general. Not about region-to-region differences between neighbors.

If my neighbors next door are playing music so loud I can hear it through my walls at night, I don't care if it's Rap or Bluegrass - it's too loud. If someone has a dog that's barking in their back yard at 3am, I don't care if it's a Poodle or Pit Bull. And if you're leaving trash in your front yard, I could care less if you're a Republican or Democrat or whether you were born in the South or migrated from the North or West Coast.

I don't think a lot of tension between neighbors, or someone being unhappy in a new neighborhood or town has to do with who you're from, who you voted for, or what church you go to - it has more to do with inconsiderate acts towards one another, and that's a more important thing to address - how to be considerate toward others.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,951,278 times
It does not bother/concern me who lives next door, but it does affect me and it becomes my business when they spread out to outside their property. Some people love to live on the street basically and take over the whole area and push their way of life on everybody.

That is the real problem in this area, not political views per say or anything else. I honestly dont care if you have 400 children, keep them inside and keep their toys and crap off the road... Its what it comes to in 90% of "i cannot stand my neighbor" cases in Atlanta.....

Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 AM

145 posts, read 80,933 times
So your answer to "how can we make friends?" is "Get off my lawn!" That's priceless, I love the internet.

But seriously, How would you show your new neighbor that you aren't a xenophobic, uneducated, closed-minded prude that could squeeze five nickels into a quarter because of their off-putting tight-assedness?
How would you prove that you really weren't like that?

See what I did there?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 AM

11,319 posts, read 23,039,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
It does not bother/concern me who lives next door, but it does affect me and it becomes my business when they spread out to outside their property. Some people love to live on the street basically and take over the whole area and push their way of life on everybody.

That is the real problem in this area, not political views per say or anything else. I honestly dont care if you have 400 children, keep them inside and keep their toys and crap off the road... Its what it comes to in 90% of "i cannot stand my neighbor" cases in Atlanta.....
The above is one of the many reasons why I choose to live in a community with an HOA.

Things like noise the county might take care of if the county has a noise ordinance, but the other behaviors are not illegal and will likely not be addressed by any level of government.

An HOA can help to address issues like the above.

One doesn't have to live in a fancy neighborhood to benefit from an HOA, either. Not always, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia