U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 11,712 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Washington, GA. We are currently in SW PA restoring an 1893 Queen Anne Victorian but are not acclimated for the north and want to return to the south.
Can anyone tell us about the job situation and schools in Washington/Tignall/Crawfordville areas? We have been looking at all three. We're looking to find an old home to restore and it seems Washington is full of old homes, though not many in need of repair.
On the job situation, I'm a court reporter and wish to return to court reporter when we get back down south (I can't express how much we miss the south and all the friendly people there!!). Real estate info would be helpful as well!
Any info would be appreciated on any of the three towns listed.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:07 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,170,992 times
Long time friends who have lived in Washington all their lives are very disheartened with the town due to the local government run by incompetents. Use your imagination and study the demographics. They have to go to Augusta for decent medical coverage. There are many smaller communities throughout the state that have similar problems: incompetent government.

Check out Eufaula, AL too.

BTW, the economic downturn is blistering GA as well. I would not count on too much in the way of work especially with nepotism in small towns.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,712 times
Default Thanks for the reply... another set of questions please.

Well I'm not opposed to the nepotism and the poorly run government, that's everywhere. My concern is corruption. We are trying to leave a town in PA that is run by a Mayor who traffics drugs and guns and embezzled all the town's money and claims the town is now bankrupt. As far as medical care we are holistic practitioners so we need travel no further than our garden. Is the town friendly? Are the people there sociable or standoffish? Is there tourism there?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Other than the mystery of "confederate gold treasure" hidden in Washington, there is nothing there to attract tourists. I am unaware of any thing there to attract them. Hopefully, someone who lives there, or near, can help you out.

I was born, reared in the South. Have lived all over the world. I have not found the South to be anymore hospitable or sociable than other places by and large. I personally believe that Southern Hospitality is pretty much myth. But, I am sure there are plenty who would disagree on that.

I definitely would not move to a small town in the South with the idea of a warm, cozy social scene.

I think you would be better off to check out Madison, GA in Morgan County. It does get tourists. It probably has the most victorian homes in Georgia. It and Eufaula, AL are neck in neck in that regard. Madison is a thriving community, but like many southern towns, a few families pretty much call the shots where it counts.

You will also find a more thriving cultural scene in Madison plus an easy shot to Atlanta.

Madison would be my choice hands down for what you are describing.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM

p.s. on Madison. A group from Madison somehow persuaded General Sherman to spare the town during his slash and burn campaign through Georgia. It worked. The town was spared and its homes survive. Gorgeous places. Pricey too, but with this market, you might get lucky.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:07 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,477,500 times
My recommendation would be Brunswick...close to the beach and tourism, relatively low unemployment rate, more urbane than most small towns in GA, one hour from Savannah and Jacksonville, and a sizeable inventory of moderately priced Victorians.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,593 times
I came to Washington, Ga in 2000. From only away in SC. I re-married- awonderful man from here--I do not regret anything. Washington, ga is all anyone needs if they wish to slow down---Please come help us do that! We new comers ask you ---please come and help us make positive change!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 15,040 times
Hello Rhiannon The person who told you Washington is not very touristy has obviously not been to Washington. We have 3 museums, many restaurants, a few cafés, and there's always live music somewhere on the weekend. The people here are very friendly and open minded, and will welcome you heartily. It is also a great place to live in if you like riding your bike or walking, or if you're concerned about raising your children in a safe town where they can safely roam free. While the local government is clearly incompetent, it is not worse than anywhere else and there are at least no problems with corruption. It is a clean, pretty and, yes, touristy little town. There are also more antebellum homes here than in Madison, and you can get a lot of house for your money. You should do some more research and visit before you decide. There are several websites about Washington, such as washingtongeorgia dot net and washingtonwilkes dot org. When you come, make sure to stay at the magnificent Fitzpatrick Hotel on the square. Good luck with your relocation. PS about Madison: Sherman spared it in deference to a friend of his from there with whom he studied at West Point. If this messages posts twice, I apologize. It somehow got lost the first time.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,228 times
I have live most of my live on Long Island. But, with the elevation of home prices and taxes my family and I needed a change. It took us several years to make our decision. My then the economy started to struggle. Just prior to the downturn of the economy we found Washington, Georgia quiet by accident. In fact, the Georgia Land Sales Welcome to Georgia Realty Sales, Inc. - Georgia Land for Sale site keep coming up every time I put certain criteria into my search. I specified basic square footage, land usage...you name it. Washington, Georgia keep coming up.

Depending on who you talk to you will get a different perspective of Washington. The best so far has been posted by WilliamSamuel. Coming from the North this is Utopia. You are starting fresh and this is a blank canvas to make it what you will. The opportunities are what you make it.

Re: Jobs -- Washington is not the best for those looking for a job. It is better for those who can fine their own niche. Creating something out of nothing. There is still much lacking in the community. But, well thoughtout ideas are open for discussion to the right people. There are a lot of them. Also, consider working out of town and residing in Washington. It's still possible to pay around $3000 per acre if you are purchasing a large quantity of land.

The closest mall is either in Athens (45 miles) or Augusta (55 miles). If you don't live in one it shouldn't matter. No local super stores. Bi-Lo and Ingles are the local supermarkets. Plus, IGA. A few quaint little shops. I love to tell people...If you knew The Hamptons were going to be The Hamptons would you have invested? This is that place!!!

Washingtonians are very warmhearted...genuinely nice people. But, love to gossip. But, technically its not gossip. Most are related to each other and it is just dinner conversation. And, before you know it...it has traveled to the other end of town. No harm..no fowl -- just keep your mouth shut and it is keep between you and you're maker and it would not be broadcasted.

And, yes there are many fixer uppers in Washington. Look in the Washington-Wilkes Chamber of Commerce website. This will direct you to several realtors. You can get still get a beautiful house for under $200K with acreage. We did and our house was almost 3000 sqft.

The schools are OK. But, I'm now looking into private. Illiteracy is a huge problem. There are still some older folks signing their name with an X. Scarely... 4-H and a few other programs are wonderful. No community pool. Many residents have opted to put in their own.

Things that I didn't know: Animal Species: fox, coyote, deer, black beer (few citings), snakes, wild hogs/boar, rabbits, turtles, lizards, scorpions, possum, armadillo and a couple of big cats. I understand black panthers and mountain lion (or someother large cat have been spotted). Mainly in areas such as Tignall, Rayle, Metasville. Some bear citing near garage dumps have been reported in Washington City limits. But, they seem to be becoming a problem even in NYC and other metropolitan areas. That's what happens when humans encroach in animal territory. Not a major problem in this area...just an FYI!!!

Our family and I love or choice to move to Washington! Would never have considered a more developed area.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,228 times
However, our first look was southern Georgia. St. Mary, Woodbine, Kingsland, Brunswick....by the water. Beautiful!!! Now, consider its a flood zone. When is rain the areas are waterlogged. Washington, gets tornados. Coastal...gets everything else including hurricanes. Not, sure of tornados in that area. Washington, may not be perfect -- but, it is home!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia