U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM

717 posts, read 2,567,631 times

Advertisements

I have no doubt that the first city people would think of in Georgia is Atlanta because that's the biggest city. Being from Illinois, Chicago is the only thing people think of--at least when I was in college it was. Who ever thinks of Springfield even though it is the state capitol. I also lived in Pennsylvania for 10+ yrs. Most people think Philadelphia #1 and Pittsburgh #2. Forget that Harrisburg is the state capitol--that's just a small detail.

This is too weird--I tend to live in cities that are state capitols--Springfield, IL; Harrisburg, PA, Raleigh, NC and soon--Atlanta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM

349 posts, read 898,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
People outside of Atlanta have a love/hate relationship with our capital city. Likewise for Atlantans and the rest of Georgia. The post above me is a good example. I do, however, agree with just about all that was stated except for the last little bit about the interstates.

I actually just got back from Atlanta tonight and I noticed a lot of (much needed) work being done near downtown Atlanta. It was the most roadwork I'd seen since I left Savannah. Thats not to say there isn't more construction out there. I know of the ongoing (for 10+ years) I-95 expansion in extreme South Georgia and then theres the 20/520 interchange going on in Augusta. Macon is also about to get started on their 16/75 interchange, which is VERY MUCH needed IMO. All in all though, we're all about to see less construction due to budget deficits.
If you look at GADOT website of major projects in the state. They're about 10 of them all in fulton county or metro Atlanta. The only project on the list that wasn't in metro Atlanta was the I-20/520 interchange in Augusta. I do think Augusta and Savannah are starting to break out of Atlanta's shadow. And make their own name outside the state. Columbus and Macon are stepping up too.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,148,530 times
Savannah already has....Augusta has a few things to work out(canal cleaning and developing). Columbus just needs a interstate to funnel traffic through it.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:01 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,418,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Advertising.

You NEVER see "Come visit us in ... XXX" travel commercials on TV for any of the cities in Georgia. Atlanta through it's sheer size, airport, and the previous Olympics is now a household name kind of city that everyone around the U.S. is at least aware of. People in California or Montana have never even heard of Macon, Georgia, for instance.

You have to have a visually stimulating TV spot AND web site that people will see and go, "Wow, I never thought that place was like that - let's go there sometime!". I've lived in Georgia for 25 years and I have never seen a TV commercial for Macon, Columbus, Albany, or any other Georgia city at all. Never. Savannah is another word of mouth household name, but even so, no ads. Yet, while living here, I HAVE seen TV spots for Chattanooga, West Virginia, Vermont, and even Texas and Idaho for crying out loud, on our local channels. I mean gee. People don't just pop up the idea to go to Macon or Augusta out of the air - you have to show them what it's like and make them want to visit, visually.

Sure, Atlanta is the financial hub and money generator for the State in many ways, but the other cities have a lot more potential for tourism dollars than they get if they'd just let folks know they exist. A city is a product. Just like any product - if you don't advertise it, no one will buy it.
You are right.. Chattanooga has been very smart with this.. marketing themselves as a weekend getaway for people in metro Atlanta. I have always thought that Augusta should do this. For some reason the people in Augusta just think everyone already knows about Augusta because of the Masters, but Augusta is only on ppl minds during the four days of the masters, and no other. And even during the Masters you get no idea of what Augusta as a city is like... you'd think that would be a prime time for the city to market itself on TV, but I have never seen an Augusta tv ad.. not ever. The obvious thing for cities like Augusta, Macon and Columbus to do is to market themselves to Atlanta residents as a weekend getaway, but you have to show them why they would want to drive 2 hours or more to visit your city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or