Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 AM

6 posts, read 23,273 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am driving from Vancouver, Canada to our new home in Dublin, Ga.
Are there any other Canadians there?? Can anyone give me some more info about the area?? How are the schools (middle and elementary)How is crime? Has it ever snowed? Any gators around, snakes ect... you know... just a bunch of stupid questions but any insight would be greatly appreiciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,941 times
Don't know of any Canadian's in Dublin, you might be the first. Congrats you will be a trailblazer. Not sure what this snow is you speak of we have never heard of that here. There are lots of snakes in the area and a few gators around the river and the creeks that feed into it. Don't worry don't play with them and you will be fine. Mosquito's here are terrible. Would need more info to tell you about schools. Are you going to live in the county (out in the country) or the city limits of Dublin. Altogether different schools for each.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM

235 posts, read 838,096 times
Dublin will be a big change from metropolitan area of Vancouver, since it is quite a rural area than what Vancouver is. It will be very different for you, weather-wise, geographically, and demographically. It is a somewhat flat in terrain. I know several people who grew up there and they mostly leave the area due to lack of job opportunities, but this is the same situation for most small, rural towns in Georgia. You will experience very hot, humid, sticky summers. The racial demographics are typical for central/south Georgia, roughly half black / half white.

You can make day trips to Atlanta in roughly 1.5-2 hours depending on your destination. Nearby Macon is convenient for some shopping.

Check out Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for info on the public and private schools in Dublin and or Laurens County.

I don't know if Canadians are in the area, but there is always the possibility. Maybe in time you will meet some. Good luck in your move.

Snakes and kudzu are plentiful all over Georgia. You may even see armadillos (seen in various areas in south Georgia).

Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedra125 View Post
Hi All,
I am driving from Vancouver, Canada to our new home in Dublin, Ga.
Are there any other Canadians there?? Can anyone give me some more info about the area?? How are the schools (middle and elementary)How is crime? Has it ever snowed? Any gators around, snakes ect... you know... just a bunch of stupid questions but any insight would be greatly appreiciated.
Thanks
Here is a link to a Dublin High video of students playing with giant bubbles:http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...525&CID=186143

Not a lot of info available at : School Life

There are Canadians in the area, but they are hard to count, since they don't physically stand out!!!

There are snakes and gators, if you are not locating within a neighborhood, but living near the riverside.

There is snow about every five years. Freezing rain happens a little more often. Temperature today is about 55-60 degrees with bright sunshine. (A lot less clouds during the winter than Vancouver!)

Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,568 times
Hi, Have you made your move yet? If so then welcome, if not then have a safe trip here. Just to let you know we do get snow (rarely) about every 5 to 7 years. The most snow that I remember was the in 1972-1973. I got to ride in town in a tractor. Just a word of caution, if it does snow here, stay off the streets, we don't have snowplows and generally can't drive in snow.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 23,273 times
Hey all,
We made it and love Dublin. It is everything I was hoping that it would be. Haven't met any other Canadians but alot of people who have "cousins" who live all the way up there. LOL .It did snow briefly and the schools closed!! I have never laughed so hard. Don't like the Tornado warnings though. Pretty freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia