Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,086 times

Advertisements

never heard of them being libreal bastions...in the sense of midtown, little 5 pts, or Decatur.
and Belaire estates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 PM

14 posts, read 18,039 times
I lived in Atlanta for over 10 year's. Savannah, Augusta, and Athens I have visited and spent time in each city. I stand by my statement Augusta is more liberal compared to Atlanta. If you read this thread you can see Im not the only person who thinks that. Several poster's including the OP agree with me.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,086 times
Atlanta has one of the largest gay communities in the country... I think that is generally a good barometer to how liberal a city is.. if gay people feel that they can live comfortably there without having to be in the closet. I don't think I would make that statement about Augusta.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Saying that Atlanta is one of the most liberal cities in the country is WAY of base! The city itself is about average and many of the democrats there are Blue Dog Democrats (socially conservative) and once your out of the city, most of the suburbs are VERY conservative. Heck even in the south, Raleigh Durham, Miami, Richmond, ect... are much more liberal all around then the Atlanta area!
What? Raleigh, Durham and Richmond????
Much more liberal than Atlanta?

You REALLY need to travel more dude.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,499,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonman View Post
I lived in Atlanta for over 10 year's. Savannah, Augusta, and Athens I have visited and spent time in each city. I stand by my statement Augusta is more liberal compared to Atlanta. If you read this thread you can see Im not the only person who thinks that. Several poster's including the OP agree with me.
Then where are the gays?? Certainly having a sizable gay community shows how liberal a city is.

But hey, if you think Augusta is more "liberal" than Atlanta, then that's your opinion.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What? Raleigh, Durham and Richmond????
Much more liberal than Atlanta?

You REALLY need to travel more dude.
Consider the source, who would rather lose his right arm than admit anything positive about Atlanta. This whole thread is ludicrous, BTW.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,690 times
If you want to gauge how liberal Augusta is try to open a bar downtown and after you get done battling Curtis Baptist Church for the right to do so get back to me.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 PM

267 posts, read 725,616 times
The top 3 of Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, & Athens

Fulton Atlanta 67%

Richmond Augusta 66%

Clarke Athens 65%

County Results - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,612 times
Yep, Raleigh Durham has Carrboro, Chapel Hill, 5 Points, Cameron Villiage, ect. Metro area went 61% Democrat this last election. Miami very gay friendly and metro area very liberal (61% Democrat this last election). Metro Atlanta was less than 50% this past election (49.2%). My older brother lived in Druid Hills several years and we would frequent that area all the time. Sure places like Virginia Highland, Little 5 Points, Decatur and such are fairly liberal, but you leave those areas and you are in conservative places pretty quickly. Some of the inner neighborhoods may be liberal, but metro Atlanta as a whole is not. And yes I travel a lot (Have been to every state east of the Mississippi as well as California and Arizona)

Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo2 View Post
The top 3 of Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, & Athens

Fulton Atlanta 67%

Richmond Augusta 66%

Clarke Athens 65%

County Results - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
When you look at the map. You can see Augusta, Columbus, & Macon. Have the chance to form a democratic stronghold in the state. All is left is a few rural counties. Which went very close in 2008. I can hear John king from CNN now in 2012 for the presidency. In front of the digital screen looking at the GA map. If obama is going to when GA. He has do good in the major cities. Atl, Aug, Sav, Col, Mac. But he reallys has to rack up. In what we call the I-14 corridor. Only problem I-14 which connects Aug, Col, Mac probably will not be built by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia