U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Yep, Raleigh Durham has Carrboro, Chapel Hill, 5 Points, Cameron Villiage, ect. Metro area went 61% Democrat this last election. Miami very gay friendly and metro area very liberal (61% Democrat this last election). Metro Atlanta was less than 50% this past election (49.2%). My older brother lived in Druid Hills several years and we would frequent that area all the time. Sure places like Virginia Highland, Little 5 Points, Decatur and such are fairly liberal, but you leave those areas and you are in conservative places pretty quickly. Some of the inner neighborhoods may be liberal, but metro Atlanta as a whole is not. And yes I travel a lot (Have been to every state east of the Mississippi as well as California and Arizona)
Get back to me when same-sex couples can walk hand in hand in Cameron Village, 5 Points and Downtown Chapel Hill! I'm gay, a pretty big guy, and I would NEVER attempt it. Ditto for Augusta and Richmond.

If you reread my post, I never mentioned Miami - that one is a no brainer.

Virginia-Highland, Decatur and L5P are more than fairly liberal. These are VERY liberal areas, among some of the most liberal in the Southeast.

Carrboro may have a gay mayor - that does NOT make it a liberal place overall. As far as Raleigh, Durham and Richmond - just plain no.

Voting for Obama does not equate to someone being a liberal. He got over 90% of the black vote, which is historically very conservative on social issues. Doesn't mean the areas that voted for him trend liberal.

One more thing - if the outskirts of Atlanta are as conservative as you claim they are, how do gay bars thrive in such areas as Tucker and Marietta?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,862,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Get back to me when same-sex couples can walk hand in hand in Cameron Village, 5 Points and Downtown Chapel Hill! I'm gay, a pretty big guy, and I would NEVER attempt it. Ditto for Augusta and Richmond.

If you reread my post, I never mentioned Miami - that one is a no brainer.

Virginia-Highland, Decatur and L5P are more than fairly liberal. These are VERY liberal areas, among some of the most liberal in the Southeast.

Carrboro may have a gay mayor - that does NOT make it a liberal place overall. As far as Raleigh, Durham and Richmond - just plain no.

Voting for Obama does not equate to someone being a liberal. He got over 90% of the black vote, which is historically very conservative on social issues. Doesn't mean the areas that voted for him trend liberal.

One more thing - if the outskirts of Atlanta are as conservative as you claim they are, how do gay bars thrive in such areas as Tucker and Marietta?
Too right; over the 20 years that I've been back, I've watched the steady migration of gays from intown to the suburbs.
I have gay friends and acquaintances in:
Mableton (yes, Mableton)
Vinings
Marietta
Roswell
Oak Grove
Brookhaven
Lawrenceville
Lilburn
Dunwoody
Tucker (seems to be especially popular with the gay community, and like john says it has its' own gay bar)
They moved for the same reason as everyone else...more house for the money.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,183,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Too right; over the 20 years that I've been back, I've watched the steady migration of gays from intown to the suburbs.
I have gay friends and acquaintances in:
Mableton (yes, Mableton)
Why is that a surprise? It's more liberal in Mableton than the northern part of Cobb, at least in my experience.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,862,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why is that a surprise? It's more liberal in Mableton than the northern part of Cobb, at least in my experience.
I'm sure...but it did come as a surprise to me, nonetheless.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,429,739 times
Saying Augusta is more liberal than Atlanta is like saying Salt Lake City is more liberal than San Francisco.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 PM

880 posts, read 2,596,093 times
Well I guess we'll have to disagree. I have been to those places and I found Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, ect... quiet a bit more liberal than Atlanta. And I mean socially liberal. Large college population as well as Research Triangle Park and northern transplants. I found many parts of the Atlanta suburbs very conservative. As a matter of fact, one of the guys I went to high school with in PTC was gay and was beat up for it. He went to the school administration and reported it to them (since it was on school grounds) and they brushed it off saying it was a lifestyle choice. Not to progressive in my opinion. Marietta has had issues with their treatment of gay rights as well (has even gotten national attention) as well as the whole "Intelligent Design" thing in their textbooks. A good bit of the metro Atlanta vote was from the socially conservative african american vote as well. I guess we will just have to disagree.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:05 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,748,886 times
Quote:
Well I guess we'll have to disagree. I have been to those places and I found Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, ect... quiet a bit more liberal than Atlanta. And I mean socially liberal. Large college population as well as Research Triangle Park and northern transplants. I found many parts of the Atlanta suburbs very conservative. As a matter of fact, one of the guys I went to high school with in PTC was gay and was beat up for it. He went to the school administration and reported it to them (since it was on school grounds) and they brushed it off saying it was a lifestyle choice. Not to progressive in my opinion. Marietta has had issues with their treatment of gay rights as well (has even gotten national attention) as well as the whole "Intelligent Design" thing in their textbooks. A good bit of the metro Atlanta vote was from the socially conservative african american vote as well. I guess we will just have to disagree.
I guess you can't help being jealous and/or ludicrous. Besides, if Augusta was so "liberal', wouldn't the government be alot less corrupt?? Wouldn't you see a lot of gays holding hands, without being harassed?? I'm not talking about one either. Wouldn't you see a lot of culturally diversity (it's just black and white in Augusta, and they seem to not get along at all). You don't see many Korean immigrants moving to Augusta. You don't see many European immigrants moving to Augusta. You don't see many Mexican immigrants moving to Augusta. And wouldn't there be a large variety of religious establishments?? I don't a Hindu temple in Augusta. I don't see a Buddhist temple in Augusta. I don't see a Scientology church in Augusta. Yep, shows how Augusta is far more liberal than Atlanta. You people need to get out more, instead of staying in your little Barbie world. Oh, and if it got national attention, I'm sure you have a link to it.

Last edited by nature's message; 02-06-2009 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
I said it before, and I'll repeat it. Get back to us when you see a same-sex couple holding hands in Durham, Raleigh or Carrboro.

I'm not buying the Peachtree City story.

Marietta NEVER had problems. It was a Cobb County Commission proclomation that was made prior to the Olympics - over 13 years ago. They paid dearly for it, too.

None of the people on the County Commision that voted for it are still there, and something like that would not pass today.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:25 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,748,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Saying Augusta is more liberal than Atlanta is like saying Salt Lake City is more liberal than San Francisco.

Saying Augusta is more liberal than Atlanta is like saying that Oklahoma City and Raleigh are more liberal than Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 PM

880 posts, read 2,596,093 times
Augusta is a lot smaller than Atlanta, so of course you don't have the large number of immigrants and diversity that some of the larger cities do. I'm just saying the Atlanta area is not one of the most liberal places in the US, as one of the previous posters implied. Moderately liberal in the city itself yes, but not as liberal as several other US cities. And you can believe the PTC city story or not, look it up in the city records if you want, I was there. I am very well traveled by the way. I have seen several gay couples holding hands in the Raleigh Durham area. Durham has several lesbian clubs and Raleigh has several gay clubs. When I was in Carrboro, I noticed several lesbian and gay couples walking around and they did not recieve any harrasment, so that answers your question. As I mentioned I have been to many parts of the US, as well as Cuba, the Bahamas, Canada, and several other places. My personal impression of the Atlanta has been that while some areas of the city itself had a liberal vibe, the metro area as a whole did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or