Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times

Advertisements

But just outside of Athens is Oconee County and it is liberal and I hear great things about the schools....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
lastminutemom is right. According to UGA admission data, Oconee County has more students enrolled UGA than any other high school schools in Georgia.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 16,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskutie76 View Post
I have to agree for the most part with the previous poster. Georgia's public education system is nothing to brag about for the most part, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the public school system in Columbia County. Columbia County is in the Augusta metro area. The school system is awesome and because of it's excellence Columbia County is growing like wildfire! We're 2 1/2 hrs from Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, and the north Georgia mountains. Logistically, Augusta is great, and the city continues to improve. Lots of new restaurants and shops continue to open. It's definitely an area worth checking into.
i'm just curious where do people get information on the national rankings. My wife and I have been looking hard at the schools and found when we toured Dolvin and CreekView Elementary in Alpharetta and Burruss in Marietta there wasn't a difference in curriculum. Even the teachers said so. The difference I saw in those schools versus other schools which I will leave nameless is the PTA and donor support. Also the teachers seemed more interested in the kids. A big indicator for me is do the teacher's children attend?

My child is in a Christian School in CA so when we were considering our move to GA we wanted to keep the same experience. We toured Mt. Pisgah Elementary and to be honest found the public school to have the same curriculum and more extracurricular. You have to read the fine print. 30 mins of Spanish once a week is not "Mastering a 2nd Language", it's memorizing a couple of phrases that the kids can learn by watching Dora.

My advice to you is to think of an area that has the amenities that you want , tour the schools and find the one that is the best fit. Look at the High School graduation and college attendance rates. Those are better indicators of your child's future than elementary test scores. It's easy to supplement learning the ABC's and basic math, but it's harder to fight the peer pressure of a bunch of teenagers who aren't interested in thier future.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 15,680 times
I have been researching Forsyth County schools and they seem comparable with Fayette schools..Any opinons? Tyrone and Peachtree seem nice but Tyrone borders some questionable areas..any opinons would be appreciated..does south or north of ATlanta make a difference-which is considered the nicer areas?

Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would think in a very fast growing area it would be impossible to predict what the future holds. Paulding might not have big city problems today, but at the rate it is growing, how long will it be before it does? Look at Gwinnett, a county that during the '80s and '90s was one of the fastest growning in the country (maybe still is). Now, large chunks are overrun with gang problems, slummy rental housing, endless development, etc.

Where are the bad areas of Gwinnett? I recently moved to the Snellville/Loganville area and try to drive around to get the feel of the area but still haven't run into the bad areas yet. Just for info, I would like to find out.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 405,891 times
Forget Georgia if you are looking to live amongst liberals. ( why on earth why???) Mass, NY or anyplace North would be your best bet.
Georgia, still believes in old fashioned values, less government, private property rights, gun ownership, pickmeuptrucks, and good ol' boys.
Check out the blue states....Ga. is red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia