U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,899 times

Advertisements

My company is transfering me to Georgia to work. Atlanta, Augusta, and Savannah were my choices. Augusta and Savannah are my two picks I have chosen. I can't make up my mind though on which city. What city has the brighter future? Will be the biggest in 5 year's? Has the most construction taking place in the area? The nicer subdivisons, suburbs, more urban, and better shopping?

What city is bigger today? I know somebody has visited both Augusta an Savannah recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 PM

10,893 posts, read 10,081,770 times
Honestly, I don't know a thing about Augusta that is not hearsay, since I have never been there. Having said that, I think Savannah is simply beautiful and would choose Savannah over Augusta. Just my humble opinion! Good luck to you!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,798,751 times
Augusta is growing, though you can't compare the growth rate to places like Atlanta obviously (a good thing, most would say). Some feel it's a "boring" town, but it's all relative to what you're comparing it to. It's more of a working city, while Savannah is more of a tourist city. Savannah on the other hand, has less growth, and somewhat higher crime in some areas, but has more "stuff" to do in the way of eating out, bars, the ocean/beach, etc.

As far as location goes, Augusta will give you a 3 hour drive to Atlanta if you DO want "big city stuff", so you could feasibly do Atlanta day trips if needed. Savannah has it's own touristy stuff as mentioned, but it's also just short of 2 hours to Charleston, SC which is a larger and beautiful tourist city with tons of stuff to do (more than Savannah to be honest, not knocking anyone here).

It's your move. You're the one who has to live with it. It would greatly benefit you to try to squeeze some time to visit BOTH cities for a few days at least each, and get a feel for them yourself first-hand. Don't rely on text words from strangers in a room to make this kind of decision for you - only to offer a few tips and hints.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 AM

4,512 posts, read 7,581,616 times
I agree with Greg on this. Don't take just our input on this, go see for yourself! All three cities are beautiful and have their own distinct style (Atlanta, Augusta & Savannah).
As far as growth is concerned, Atlanta will trump both cities put together. However, all three have a lot going on. Yes, Savannah is a more touristy town and I would think there would be more to do than that of Augusta. Augusta does have a slightly larger population than Savannah, but not by too much. Savannah Metro's numbers are around 330,000 while Augustas are more around 500,000.
Crime? Savannah, contrary to popular belief, does not have more crime. It is just more publicized than Augusta's. Of course, there are areas where you'll have to watch out for, but thats anywhere.
All in all, if it were my decision, I would pick either Atlanta (if you want a big city; 5.6 million heads and counting) or Savannah (mid-sized town with lots of history & charm and about 20 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean)

Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 AM

349 posts, read 896,784 times
Both cities are nice and have something diffrent to offer. On your visit you will see how much Augusta is growing. Going strong into the rest of 2009. Augusta is growing faster and has better shopping than Savannah.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM

I'd suggest Augusta and Savannah are growing at roughly the same rate. Shopping, however, is probably going to be better in Augusta.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 PM

913 posts, read 2,721,311 times
Savannah for sure

Old 01-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'd suggest Augusta and Savannah are growing at roughly the same rate. Shopping, however, is probably going to be better in Augusta.
How many cranes are in downtown Savannah? I know about savannah river landing. There are 11 - 13 cranes in the Medical district and downtown Augusta.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Lets not start one of these petty "my city is better than yours" posts. Both cities are wonderful and both are growing at roughly the same rate. Trust me, I checked the numbers.

To answer your question, I can't give you an exact number but I know of the Ellis Square development, buildings going up at Oglethorpe & Montgomery, the Bohemian hotel next to the Hyatt on River Street, a future condo at Liberty & Jefferson, Savannah River Landing, and The Reserve at Savannah Harbor on Hutchinson Island across the river. Thats from the top of my head going on in the historic district.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:37 PM

LOl I was asking because I haven't been to Savannah in a couple month's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia