U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,495,274 times

Advertisements

^Fantastic post!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM

969 posts, read 2,656,129 times
Relying on a Bill Murray quote to bolster your point is rather silly. Bill isn't a model citizen himself you know....

Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,685,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Relying on a Bill Murray quote to bolster your point is rather silly. Bill isn't a model citizen himself you know....
I assume that means you do not agree with my point... which was that things have changed (a lot) since that statue was placed (dedicated) in New York harbor back in 1886? Really? Seriously?

And whats up with all the Bill Murray hate?(!) In the purest sense of the word, I guess it was a quote from Bill Murray. But he said it while performing his craft... and I can almost bet you he 'stole' that line from the... ah, whats that called....uhm... oh ya, the script.

gaflsc, did you want to add something to the discussion or did you just stop by to call me silly? If you want to join in by all means do. If you just want to call me silly then I hate to inform you of this, but I have been called worse by better.....

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 PM

76 posts, read 187,875 times
I for one would be totally pleased if all the hispanics who are illegally here picked up and left. It wouldn't be a problem for the economy, it would be quite the opposite. All the people who are legal citizens or law abiding immigrants heading to citizenship would fill those positions quickly.
And if they got out of Gainesville it would start looking like Gainesville again instead of Little Mexico.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM

74 posts, read 156,643 times
I have been reading this post and it is very interesting. I see a lot of hate and tolerism here. Yes the illegals are a drain on the healthcare system. But the law is the law; if they have kids born in this country, their kids are US citizens. If you don't like the situation contact your legislature and let them know you are displeased with the laws that they have made over the years. This is another arguement for healthcare and education reform also.

I read another blog here that they don't pay taxes. They do with false social security numbers and they also have an identification card that some get that allows them to work here and they pay taxes on that also. Your social security is being paid by the illegals, lots of it.

Yes, it illegal for them to be here, but what is our imigration department doing about it? The system needs to be corrected that allows them to be here. Contact your lawmakers and tell them. They all have e-mail addresses and websites just like this one.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 PM

262 posts, read 503,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Bill Murray is awesome,and as for the mexicans leaving....Good riddance!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,226,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Wagner View Post
I have been reading this post and it is very interesting. I see a lot of hate and tolerism here. Yes the illegals are a drain on the healthcare system. But the law is the law; if they have kids born in this country, their kids are US citizens. If you don't like the situation contact your legislature and let them know you are displeased with the laws that they have made over the years. This is another arguement for healthcare and education reform also.

I read another blog here that they don't pay taxes. They do with false social security numbers and they also have an identification card that some get that allows them to work here and they pay taxes on that also. Your social security is being paid by the illegals, lots of it.

Yes, it illegal for them to be here, but what is our imigration department doing about it? The system needs to be corrected that allows them to be here. Contact your lawmakers and tell them. They all have e-mail addresses and websites just like this one.
"Tolerism"...do you mean tolerance or intolerance? Either way, that's immaterial to the discussion.

There are two separate topics here that are getting mixed. One is whether or not there will be economic impact if there is a population shift among hispanics in Gainesville and GA in general; the other is why our government allows illegal aliens to cross our borders and remain here.

The answer to the first is of course there will be some impact. What that impact is may be mixed. On the one hand you have the consumption side of the equation. People buy groceries, clothing, rent or buy somewhere to live, and go to movies and fast food places, etc. That spending will decrease if these same people move on to other places. On the other hand, there may also be a decrease in emergency room costs and social/government services, as indigent aliens no longer seek them.

As for the second question, if you're here illegally, you've broken the law and committed a criminal act. Having an "anchor baby" in the US doesn't mitigate that crime, although based on our current law, it does provide citizenship and welfare services to the baby. As stated, until our representatives change the law to elminate granting automatic citizenship to anyone lucky enough to be born on US soil, no matter how they got here, this issue with continue.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,226,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
And at that point, there was no such thing as illegal immigration... just immigration.
Not true at all. As a grandchild of immigrants who landed at Ellis Island in 1901, and the son of an immigrant who landed at a westside Manhattan pier in the early 1950's, that's completely false. Just ask the many who were turned away and sent home for one or more legal reasons. There were quotas in place and specific guidelines on sponsorship, economic skills, and health that had to be met.

The difference was that back then we turned away people who didn't meet the guidelines and we enforced our laws.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 3,685,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Not true at all. As a grandchild of immigrants who landed at Ellis Island in 1901, and the son of an immigrant who landed at a westside Manhattan pier in the early 1950's, that's completely false. Just ask the many who were turned away and sent home for one or more legal reasons. There were quotas in place and specific guidelines on sponsorship, economic skills, and health that had to be met.

The difference was that back then we turned away people who didn't meet the guidelines and we enforced our laws.
I was referring to when they dedicated that plaque... 1886. There very well may have been guidelines... but I bet you cannot find the term 'illegal alien' until much much later than that.
I think you may have missed my point. We traveled from "We the People" to "Give us your tired, your poor" to 'not so fast, we are gettin' full over here. What can you do for us?' For all practical purposes, in my opinion, our economy was initiated on the 'backs' of immigrants. At least during the industrial revolution any ways. Now we are complaining about the drain on our economy due to immigrants. That was kinda sorta my point.
Based on the 2000 census, less than one percent of this countries population is 'American Indian'. With that in mind, more than 99% of us are descendants of immigrants. Welcome to the masses, neil0311... you are not alone.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM

180 posts, read 331,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Wagner View Post
If you are worried about illegals taking a job away from you, you are in the wrong business.
I call B.S.

Milwaukee Officer Found To Be Illegal Immigrant - washingtonpost.com

here's a stroy of an illegal who stole his cousins ID and became a city of Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Police Officer.

these sort of stories happen more than we know, the media needs to report more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia