Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 22,144 times

Advertisements

I am from NYC and have heard that Forest Park is changing to become a nice area. Is this true? And is south atlanta really as horrible as these boards seem to suggest? Living in NYC I am used to the heavy traffic so commuting is not a problem for me. My main intrest is in the crime and school system..

Please help.. Moving in July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 66,272 times
It might be, I have heard that Clayton County is terrible, and Forest Park is in Clayton. There is a lot of crime in Clayton and the schools are terrible. I am thinking of relocating within 3 years or so and I have heard some very negative statements concerning Clayton. It is a very bad area. I havent heard much about Forest Park. Peachtree or Lithonia seems very, very nice and upscale.

Well maybe im wrong but im thinking that Forest Park is in Clayton.

Last edited by Marka; 06-25-2006 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 PM

29 posts, read 162,519 times
Default Forest Park Ga.

Hi,
Forest Park is the furthest north-eastern city in clayton county. Approx 3 miles to the Atlanta city limits. That being said, Forest Park does not have the crime rate that the cities south of it's boundaries have. It is kind of "forgotten" by the general public. It is the central transportation hub with trucking, major interstates intersecting, planes,trains, and automobiles. Industrial in nature.(Bright spot is Georgia State Farmer's Market) The shopping and restaurants are terrible. If they exist at all.You have to go to Morrow (a short drive). no traffic jams to speak of,(except in Morrow) and is so close to Atlanta, there is not much of a commute. Plus it is on the bus line. Stay away from the apartment complexes and Jonesboro Rd. If you are serious about Forest Park, stay toward the Forest Park downtown area. It's a cheap alternative to living in downtown Atlanta.
I used to live on North Ave. and loved it. I used to walk to the library. Schools are very diverse in a good way. My son went to the elementary school off North Avenue which was considered to be the best. (sorry, forgot the name) After elementary, find a private school. Kids from outlying areas are mean. I had one very noisy neighbor. The Atlanta airport!
If you enjoy urban fringe living, then Forest Park is not so bad, plus housing and property taxes are cheap,cheap,cheap!

Old 07-10-2006, 02:42 PM

7 posts, read 41,186 times
Default Not a bad start...

I am a 23 year old white male that moved to Atlanta from Canton, Ohio in Oct. 2005 to start a new life...

I took the Greyhound for $50, and would not recommend taking the Greyhound anywhere in the U.S. at night. No problems with the ride except the 4 or 5 bus transfers which weren't indicated on my ticket... I thought taking the trip at night would let me sleep through the whole ride... This was not the case...

I didn't have much money when I got here and I had no idea where I was going to live. I ran out of money and ended up homeless... I stayed at a homeless shelter downtown for one night and gave the homeless hotline a call the next day. They sent me to a shelter in Forest Park (south of the airport) where they let me stay for 21 days. They provided three meals a day, including a packed lunch and gave us two bus tokens valued at $3.50 each day to help those of us without an auto.

The area is very different and quiet. Much of the economic boom is elsewhere, but this is a great place to start. I started work at a place called Wilpak, Inc. making $7.00 p/hr doing basic labor until I found an ad calling for Tax Preparers at Jackson Hewitt which I answered and found a really cheap and nice apt. style motel called the Efficiency Lodge on 5013 Courtney Drive. Its right across from the U.S. Army base Fort Gillem. If I had to recommend a place in Forest Park to get started while in Atlanta... THIS IS IT!!! There's a park less than a mile away, groceries across the street, Bank of America around the corner as well as a post office and a Library across from the park. I rented the suite for 180.83 per week for about 6 months without a hitch. I had a green love sofa, a table, two electric burners, a sink, on site laundry, a small fridge, three dressers, and a nightstand... You could have a TV but that's extra and I didn't really need one so I went without. The regular rooms are cheaper... $150 range and are a little smaller... They will take your mail for you just as if you were living in an apartment and they are very nice people.

If you don't drive and are trying to move to Atlanta... Try to get closer to the city where you can catch a MARTA train or bus... Forest Park is in Clayton County and they have there own separate transit system which is awful. It was ok temporarily while I tried to figure out where I wanted to settle in but don't rely on CCT (Clayton County Transit) They will take you to the airport where you can jump on the MARTA train and get to anywhere in Atlanta, but they're usually late or never on time...

I found an ad in the AJC HomeFinder for a studio apartment in Stone Mountain renting for $425 per month!!! I'm living in a basement style apt, everything included, fully furnished, FULL SIZE FRIDGE, my own separate back door entrance... IT"S AMAZING!!! I had some trouble and some fortune getting familiar with Atlanta, especially without a car... If you’re looking for a job, start with Craigslist.org... By far the best site on the web in my opinion... My only regret about moving here was not being prepared for the SIZE of this city... Everything is so spread out, and the geography is very hilly...not mountainous... just hilly. The scenery is beautiful with all the various tall trees and thick, jungle like lots... The weather is perfect, I always joked about flying south for the winter and now I understand why the birds do it every year...

Overall... Forest Park, GA is a wonderful place to start off if you’re from anywhere else and the people down here live up to their reputation of 'southern hospitality'.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 13,179 times
Thumbs up Living in Clayton County

I came from NY and have lived in Clayton County for close to 10 years. Although crime has risen some (and where hasn't it) Clayton County is still a good place to live. I live near Forest Park. The police departments here are very vigilant of what happens in the neighborhoods and they don't play, taxes are low, access to major highways is good, bus line, many times you can get to where you need to go thru back roads, no water problems or haven't you heard that our water department is the best in the state. Furthermore, if you listen to the news you will hear that there is more crimes happening on the northside of Atlanta. Of course it will also depend on which part of Clayton County you live in. Forest Park is still a good place to live.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,890 times
I grew up in forest park and left for the North side of Atlanta after High schoool (I actually Lived in Fayetteville my last year..), Ten years later to me it seems to have Changed in many different ways some good some bad and is changing more due to the Marta Rail being extended south to Morrow. Morrow, Lake City and forest park seem to be cleaning up with lots of new buisness properties being built. I am kinda biased about the crime currently because my vehicle had just been broken into in my driveway but, I guess it is my fault for loud music although it seems common.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 36,323 times
Flash Intro Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia