U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 07:18 AM

539 posts, read 1,927,037 times

Advertisements

I heard that they have enacted a hiring freeze for teachers in GA for this year. What will this mean to the teaching industry? I am currently an education student and fairly close to graduation. I'm not concerned about the salary situation but I am concerned about my job prospects. I would really appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,465,546 times
i don't know for sure.

i do know that they just voted to increase the classroom size limit a couple of weeks ago, making it possible to cut teaching positions, so i'm sure there won't be many new hires if any.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,677,041 times
Statewide hiring freeze...no. Some districts, yes. Increased class sizes for next year have been approved as well as a state pay freeze meaning this year's state salary scale will be next year's as well.

In a nutshell, there will be some hiring as teachers will still leave the field or retire, but with increased class sizes (as well as a push in many districts to reduce central office positions sending these folks back into the classroom) there will be fewer positions. My recommendation is to use the last bit of time you have in school to make your resume shine. Join and be active in teacher organizations, volunteer with education initiatives, and if you are doing student teaching: make as many connections as possible and do your very best to get great recommendations. Whatever you do, don't just cruise through your last year of school thinking a job is a shoe-in without hard work.

In this economy, you may have to work in a school or district that is not at the top of your wish list, but if you have proof that you will be an asset to the school and not just a certified warm body, you should be able to find a job.

Additionally, consider taking additional GACE tests to add content fields or try to get endorsements. This allows versatility and greatly improves your chances of landing a position. Indeed, getting a job has become more difficult, but poor economy or not, the number of children continues to grow. Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM

539 posts, read 1,927,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Statewide hiring freeze...no. Some districts, yes. Increased class sizes for next year have been approved as well as a state pay freeze meaning this year's state salary scale will be next year's as well.

In a nutshell, there will be some hiring as teachers will still leave the field or retire, but with increased class sizes (as well as a push in many districts to reduce central office positions sending these folks back into the classroom) there will be fewer positions. My recommendation is to use the last bit of time you have in school to make your resume shine. Join and be active in teacher organizations, volunteer with education initiatives, and if you are doing student teaching: make as many connections as possible and do your very best to get great recommendations. Whatever you do, don't just cruise through your last year of school thinking a job is a shoe-in without hard work.

In this economy, you may have to work in a school or district that is not at the top of your wish list, but if you have proof that you will be an asset to the school and not just a certified warm body, you should be able to find a job.

Additionally, consider taking additional GACE tests to add content fields or try to get endorsements. This allows versatility and greatly improves your chances of landing a position. Indeed, getting a job has become more difficult, but poor economy or not, the number of children continues to grow. Good Luck!
That sounds like some solid and sound advice, thank you. I will take this advice to heart when going forward in this career track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia