U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,229 posts, read 3,478,432 times
Reputation: 1694

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
But thats still not explaining NOTHING all of the Second tier has the Same as you listed above or even more" I know Macon does because I live here" but it still does put Columbus ahead because pretty much playing catch up......to Macon, Augusta and Savannah....

Macon Area Colleges & University
Macon State College
Mercer University
Wesleyan College
Georgia College & State University-Milledgeville
Georgia College & State Graduate Center-DT Macon
Fort Valley State University-Fort Valley
Central Ga Tech-Macon
API Tech-Macon
Middle Ga College-Cochran
Middle Ga Tech-W.Robins

Hospitals
Medical Center of Central GA -Second Largest in GA
The Coliseum Medical center
Macon North side Hospital
Middle Children Hospital
Houston Regional Medical Center-W.Robins
Peach Regional Med. Center-Fort Valley
Central State Mental Hospital-Milledgeville
Oconee Regional Medical Center-Milledgeville
including:
Ballets, theater groups, symphony, Jazz Society,...
Sports (Arena Football,Basketball and Hockey)
Music Concerts from all the Big Artists.....
Youth Sports (baseball, football, basketball, soccer and swimming)
Ice skating rink
Shopping
Macon Mall
Shoppes at River crossing-new open air mall
Eisenhower Crossing
Galleria at Centerville-W.Robins
Dublin Mall-Dubin
Milledgeville Mall
and five new lifestyle centers under construction in Macon.....not including the ones in W.Robins...


And DT Macon has several Projects
3 block of DT building are being converting into Mix-used office and lofts
5 New Loft apartment developments-underway
$29 millions Mix-used living center-underway
New Conventional Center High rise- Marriott Hotel-open late 2009
New $75 million Macon/Bibb county judicial center-underway
and more..........


If you going to use Milledgeville and Dublin to boost Macon. I'm sure Columbus can use Auburn, Opelika, and West Point and it wouldn't be a comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,386 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
Agreed...Columbus does have the better cooperate businesses. I'm sure I'll get a response about how Macon has some distrubution centers and a geico office. The place can't be outdone to some people, they probably think Macon is ahead of Atlanta too!!! LOL....give me a break!!!
No one said that Macon is a head of Atlanta, but Macon has alot of corporate type businesses as well as lots of Distribution centers.. Also the same for Columbus People claims that nothing can out do Aflac, syvonus, tsys and the all the others......As if Columbus is the only city that has corporate company presents.....GIVE ME A BREAK...... although Columbus has a couple of HQs it still fall behind all the other second tier cities....... I can name at least five things that it lags behind Macon....and Who knows how it lags behind the other two....Augusta & Savannah......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,386 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
If you going to use Milledgeville and Dublin to boost Macon. I'm sure Columbus can use Auburn, Opelika, and West Point and it wouldn't be a comparison.
I'm not trying to boost Macon, it just facts Macon represents for all of MGA......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,386 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
yerocal, are you sure you are in Macon? Macon does not have a hockey team. It folded a while ago and Augusta's folded in 2008.
Macon did at one time have a hockey team..... but not the coliseum is open to ice skating and hockey games....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,386 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Macon is not ahead of Columbus in anything man. When you have a Fortune 500 and 1000 companies, a military base like Fort Benning, museums and art facilities like Columbus has, a population close to Columbus, and a public/private sector that works closely together, then you can say Macon is like Columbus. Until then, Macon will be Columbus's little brother. There is nothing wrong with that. It is just reality right now.
there are fortune 500 companies with large presents in Macon...They may not be HQ here, but are large regional offices.....Robins AFB is less that 15 minutes away....Macon has a Museum District,with whole block of museums,Historic and tourist attractions. How can you say that Macon would be like a younger brother you still have fail to explain what makes Columbus stand apart.....because you can't...Not to Brag but Macon out shines Columbus in a lots of areas.....It has more Venues, Tourist attractions and Museums....A Large Medical presents and as well as having the largest Hospital and Multiple functional Entertainment complex venue outside of Atlanta.....it has Access to 3 major Interstates I-75,475 &16... The largest rail yard in the south east, Macon has 2 Malls, Huge power center and Another on the way in North Macon with much better shopping choices that has not even eyed Columbus but has locations in Macon, Augusta and Savannah....Macon has several downtown construction projects including a new high rise Marriott Hotel, another DT hotel & residential projects, several new residential projects for lofts and condo, a developer has proposed 2- 10 stories high rise condos for DT and mixed used projects. The Medical just opened a 9 story high rise in 2008. A$75 million judical is about to be underway.....Macon has been included in the plans to connect with Atlanta by commuter rails and has been a consideration as a reliever airport for Harts field. the Only thing that Columbus has that out shines Macon is POP and as i mentioned before thats because of the consolidation....Even though Macon city limits has lost pop the people are still in Bibb county they have just spreaded out though out the county because of so much new development spawling outside of the city limits. You have yet to tell me what sets Columbus apart or shall i say ahead of Macon.....??????

Last edited by yerocal; 01-31-2009 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,229 posts, read 3,478,432 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
I'm not trying to boost Macon, it just facts Macon represents for all of MGA......
In our lifetime, we will see Warner Robins pass Macon in central GA and become the most important city in the area, maybe in the next 15-20 yrs. ( I know that would hurt you!) When I visited Macon and Warner Robins, I was surprised at how fast W.R. was going and its mainly because of the Air Force base. I really can see Warner Robins as the superior city because its growing as to Macon population is going downhill. I know you say that Macon poulation is in the county, but giving that the county only has around 150,000 people and if Macon consolidated it still would be behind 40,000 behind Augusta and Columbus.

If Savannah consolidated, it would be the second largest city in GA by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,229 posts, read 3,478,432 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
If you going to use Milledgeville and Dublin to boost Macon. I'm sure Columbus can use Auburn, Opelika, and West Point and it wouldn't be a comparison.

I agree with you on that. I don't know what's the big deal with you saying that you'd rather live in Columbus. I read all of these post from #1 to now and the citizens of Macon gets upset with you and ATLCOL1. They can't change your mind obviously, no matter how much development Macon is building during this economic period, no matter about the interstates, or that fact that Macon feels more a city that Columbus . You rather live in Columbus and that's your choice.

From my experiences with the cities

1) Atlanta.. no need to explain
2) Savannah.. tourist city, Ft. Stewart is near and nice surburban areas such as Richmond Hill
3) Columbus..you could switch this with Augusta.... Nice Coorperate jobs, massive explansion of Ft. Benning, Kia plant will bring jobs to the city and the surrounding area
4) Augusta..nice development downtown and Martinez is a nice community....Finally working on 1-20 to make it a six lane interstate
5) Macon..Nice development in North Macon and Downtown, several distrubution centers..

Last edited by cdw1084; 02-01-2009 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,229 posts, read 3,478,432 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I agree with you on that. I don't know what's the big deal with you saying that you'd rather live in Columbus. I read all of these post from #1 to now and the citizens of Macon gets upset with you and ATLCOL1. They can't change your mind obviously, no matter how much development Macon is building during this economic period, no matter about the interstates, or that fact that Macon feels more a city that Columbus . You rather live in Columbus and that's your choice.

From my experiences with the cities

1) Atlanta.. no need to explain
2) Savannah.. tourist city, Ft. Stewart is near and nice surburban areas such as Richmond Hill
3) Columbus..you could switch this with Augusta.... Nice Coorperate jobs, massive explansion of Ft. Benning, Kia plant will bring jobs to the city and the surrounding area
4) Augusta..nice development downtown and Martinez is a nice community....Finally working on 1-20 to make it a six lane interstate
5) Macon..Nice development in North Macon and Downtown, several distrubution centers..


Good post!!! I think that's some good information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 AM
 
201 posts, read 493,509 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Looks as if the Auburn-Opelika area (Lee County, AL.) is growing more from the looks of that graph.
The bottom line is Columbus overall is shrinking economically and has been for quite some time(even when the economy was booming)
These Columbus boosters are just grabbing at straws with the same old statements.
All will be well for them and the city I guess as long as they continue to take their medications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM
 
201 posts, read 493,509 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
Were your mom smoking when she had you?! And apparently you must be one of the Maconites who gets mad when someone says something that offends you. You have the name of Columbus Attorney and all of your post about Columbus is negative...thats sort of ironic.....

You're probably some fat, single, man, at home on a computer all day looking for articles to bash Columbus.

You guys are really getting me mad at me because of my opinions....Are you crazy!!!

In all reality....Macon just flat out suck...its not my fault!!!

I think you made a bad move but if you are a stay at home mom it really doesn't matter.

I won't even respond to your childish personal remarks as it is obvious you are just bitter that you made a bad decision in moving to Columbus now.

After our recent board meeting with the local chamber I can tell you that things have not even started to get bad in Columbus yet.

Best of luck anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top