U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,522 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
In our lifetime, we will see Warner Robins pass Macon in central GA and become the most important city in the area, maybe in the next 15-20 yrs. ( I know that would hurt you!) When I visited Macon and Warner Robins, I was surprised at how fast W.R. was going and its mainly because of the Air Force base. I really can see Warner Robins as the superior city because its growing as to Macon population is going downhill. I know you say that Macon poulation is in the county, but giving that the county only has around 150,000 people and if Macon consolidated it still would be behind 40,000 behind Augusta and Columbus.

If Savannah consolidated, it would be the second largest city in GA by far.
Warner Robins will never out grow Macon because first Macon is consistently Growing it self,and they both are going towards each other which will mostly likely happen is that metros will be recombined making it Ga's 3nd or maybe by then 2nd largest Metro. W.Robins is only 22.1 sq miles and Macon is about 60 sq miles which makes it about 3 times the size of W Robins and Macon is still sprawling, if Macon consolidates it would have 160,000 pop not 150 because Macon's current city limits runs into parts of Jones county as well. It seem how people consider a city to be larger because of Pop...But When I say larger I mean in size...... When I speak of larger I mean by size not pop...Most of the Ga's cities are listed by pop not by size because a dummy knows Athens is no where as near as large as Macon; Hell it not even as large as Albany or Valdosta....But because of consolidation it appears that way..... that why most people who visit Columbus are so surprised and let down because on paper its city/county consolidation makes it appear to be much larger city than what it really is.............and thats just true facts.........It has nothing is common with other US cities with a 180-200,000 people......NO skyline, No malls, no interstates, it lags behind all Ga's second tier cities in every area......the only thing keeping Columbus afloat is the HQs and Ft. Benning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM
 
201 posts, read 493,535 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Warner Robins will never out grow Macon because first Macon is consistently Growing it self,and they both are going towards each other which will mostly likely happen is that metros will be recombined making it Ga's 3nd or maybe by then 2nd largest Metro. W.Robins is only 22.1 sq miles and Macon is about 60 sq miles which makes it about 3 times the size of W Robins and Macon is still sprawling, if Macon consolidates it would have 160,000 pop not 150 because Macon's current city limits runs into parts of Jones county as well. It seem how people consider a city to be larger because of Pop...But When I say larger I mean in size...... When I speak of larger I mean by size not pop...Most of the Ga's cities are listed by pop not by size because a dummy knows Athens is no where as near as large as Macon; Hell it not even as large as Albany or Valdosta....But because of consolidation it appears that way..... that why most people who visit Columbus are so surprised and let down because on paper its city/county consolidation makes it appear to be much larger city than what it really is.............and thats just true facts.........It has nothing is common with other US cities with a 180-200,000 people......NO skyline, No malls, no interstates, it lags behind all Ga's second tier cities in every area......the only thing keeping Columbus afloat is the HQs and Ft. Benning.
I have to agree that Macon and Warner Robins will eventually come together to become the place to be for growth.
The interstate will undoubtedly be their ace in the hole.

Columbus leaders are more interested in grants and handouts than with economic growth and now that there are no more freebees they are in a state of panic.
They were quick to boast about the Kia related local plant which has now been cancelled(new owner said it was cheaper to make them in Korea and ship them here) as has happened so many times in the past.
The local chamber even stated that Ft Benning economic input citywide has been down consistantly year over year since 2002 in all aspects and not from soldier deployments as families still have to eat and pay rent etc.

The facts are all plain to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,522 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
I have to agree that Macon and Warner Robins will eventually come together to become the place to be for growth.
The interstate will undoubtedly be their ace in the hole.

Columbus leaders are more interested in grants and handouts than with economic growth and now that there are no more freebees they are in a state of panic.
They were quick to boast about the Kia related local plant which has now been cancelled(new owner said it was cheaper to make them in Korea and ship them here) as has happened so many times in the past.
The local chamber even stated that Ft Benning economic input citywide has been down consistantly year over year since 2002 in all aspects and not from soldier deployments as families still have to eat and pay rent etc.

The facts are all plain to see.
Yeah don't forget about those strong HQs fueling so much growth in Columbus....NOT.... but you have made a good point and I agree....Because from 2002-present Macon-Warner Robins area has seen a lot of growth even in the smaller cities like Gray, Forsyth, Miledgeville, Perry and Fort valley......The Macon area has some many different things to bait in development.....The Interstates(75,475& 16), Robins AFB, Rail yard, Centralized Location and proximity to ATL/Hartsfield and Savannah seaport. Macon Mayor if has proposed a Major Corridors to DOT to built that will connect from 75 south and make a southern loop that runs pass Middle Regional Airport around to I-16 and out to the Macon Downtown Airport. Forming Major access Highway from I-75 and 16 to both airports, Robins AFB G_ramp project and parts of north Houston county, the 75 south industrial park to Airport east & west Industrial park to DT Macon industrial park and rail yards making Macon into Middle Georgia Transportation and Logistics Hub.

Macon-Middle Georgia Transportation and Logistics Hub
http://www.dot.ga.gov/aboutGeorgiado...ober/macon.pdf

Last edited by yerocal; 02-01-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 08:03 PM
 
913 posts, read 2,720,632 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
The bottom line is Columbus overall is shrinking economically and has been for quite some time(even when the economy was booming)
These Columbus boosters are just grabbing at straws with the same old statements.
All will be well for them and the city I guess as long as they continue to take their medications.
You are grabbing at straws my friend when it comes to finding negative things about Columbus. You know Columbus will come out of this recession stronger than ever with Fort Bennings $3 billion expansion, Aflac expansion, Kia, new National Infantry Museum opening this summer, etc. You fail in your statements because you never provide any facts. You are not credible at all. BTW, we all missed you there for a month or so. Glad to see you back making a fool of yourself. You give me and everyone else a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM
 
201 posts, read 493,535 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
You are grabbing at straws my friend when it comes to finding negative things about Columbus. You know Columbus will come out of this recession stronger than ever with Fort Bennings $3 billion expansion, Aflac expansion, Kia, new National Infantry Museum opening this summer, etc. You fail in your statements because you never provide any facts. You are not credible at all. BTW, we all missed you there for a month or so. Glad to see you back making a fool of yourself. You give me and everyone else a good laugh.
Just got back from the Washington actually and thats a fact! lol
I will let someone else feed the troll tonight.
Somebody give this poor soul a reason to exist other than beating the same old dead dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,522 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Just got back from the Washington actually and thats a fact! lol
I will let someone else feed the troll tonight.
Somebody give this poor soul a reason to exist other than beating the same old dead dog.
I agree i'm so tired of hearing about Fort Bennings expansions, Aflac and all the other little HQs in Columbus and Kia, is that all the city has to ofter.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,720,632 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
I agree i'm so tired of hearing about Fort Bennings expansions, Aflac and all the other little HQs in Columbus and Kia, is that all the city has to ofter.......
Which is way more than Macon has to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,522 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Which is way more than Macon has to offer

Now thats funny..................... you still have fail to explain how? When Columbus stands up and represent itself as a city with almost 180-200k pop and appear that way, having those qualities and amenities.....then you can talk to me ....Macon Feels more like a city 180-200k than Columbus....

For an Example Jacksonville Florida is Way larger than Atlanta in size and pop....But because of Atlanta's huge skylines, growth, opportunities and being a southeast hot spot.... it appears larger.......

Jacksonville,FL pop: 794,555
Area: 885 sq mi (2,264.5 km2) Keep in mind the city of Jacksonville is consolidated with Duval county just like Columbus/Muscogee; which helps the city appear on paper to be much larger than Atlanta....Until you actually visit the city.

Atlanta,Ga pop:519,145
Area:132.4 sq mi (343.0 km2)


NOW

Columbus entire city-county population was 186,291
Total area of 220.8 sq mi (572 km2)

Macon had a population of 97,606;as of 2007
Total area of 56.3 sq mi (145.7 km2)

a big different just like above Atlanta and Jacksonville... But When Macon/Bibb county Consolidates Macon Land area would increase to 255 sq mi (661 km²) making it Larger than Columbus in size and increase it's population to a 154,709 which Macon will actually feel like you in a city with over a 150,000 people..... Because of its infrastructure(skyline, Malls/shopping centers, Commercial Businesses, interstates and etc).


This is what draws in Companies to an area infrastructure, Size of the City and appearance and assets( rail, Interstate access and etc.) So Macon will actually feel and appear to be a city of 154,000 people......Not only that,it's close to Atlanta.........

Just a little information to broaden you knowledge........

Last edited by yerocal; 02-02-2009 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
 
726 posts, read 2,590,522 times
Reputation: 86
Just another Article i found today that shows signs of Macon's Growth.......construction of the new I-16 / I-75 interchange $300 million project
Lucid Idiocy (politics): House transport list includes 16/75
http://www.macon.com/741/story/607698.html

Capital City Bank to begin construction of corporate offices in downtown Macon
http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/2822629 (broken link)

Last edited by yerocal; 02-02-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
 
913 posts, read 2,720,632 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Now thats funny..................... you still have fail to explain how? When Columbus stands up and represent itself as a city with almost 180-200k pop and appear that way, having those qualities and amenities.....then you can talk to me ....Macon Feels more like a city 180-200k than Columbus....

For an Example Jacksonville Florida is Way larger than Atlanta in size and pop....But because of Atlanta's huge skylines, growth, opportunities and being a southeast hot spot.... it appears larger.......

Jacksonville,FL pop: 794,555
Area: 885 sq mi (2,264.5 km2) Keep in mind the city of Jacksonville is consolidated with Duval county just like Columbus/Muscogee; which helps the city appear on paper to be much larger than Atlanta....Until you actually visit the city.

Atlanta,Ga pop:519,145
Area:132.4 sq mi (343.0 km2)


NOW

Columbus entire city-county population was 186,291
Total area of 220.8 sq mi (572 km2)

Macon had a population of 97,606;as of 2007
Total area of 56.3 sq mi (145.7 km2)

a big different just like above Atlanta and Jacksonville... But When Macon/Bibb county Consolidates Macon Land area would increase to 255 sq mi (661 km²) making it Larger than Columbus in size and increase it's population to a 154,709 which Macon will actually feel like you in a city with over a 150,000 people..... Because of its infrastructure(skyline, Malls/shopping centers, Commercial Businesses, interstates and etc).


This is what draws in Companies to an area infrastructure, Size of the City and appearance and assets( rail, Interstate access and etc.) So Macon will actually feel and appear to be a city of 154,000 people......Not only that,it's close to Atlanta.........

Just a little information to broaden you knowledge........
That's a weak argument.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top