Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:03 AM

201 posts, read 540,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post

What KIND of family should be the real question.

Maybe that is why Columbus rates so high not to mention the fact that NOBODY here at the firm has ever even heard of this magazine(article a year old?)

Georgia in the top 10 again... Why is Columbus' growth so stagnant? Even if you add back in the deployed soldiers, Columbus' population is only estimated to have increased 3% since 2000. Of course, migration to Smiths and Harris has siphoned off 'intown' growth, but why isn't Intown Columbus growing more?

[LEFT]http://api.ning.com/files/FFzgLpN0oZbuEyxcB8vz46Fu280exLGgwKJgW4kXssrf9iBWgn HuwjR8uIxqbsvP*GePbUC14MhdLc31gUk0bSo6X*qRcvtc/Permits0508.jpg (broken link)[/LEFT]
permits)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
What KIND of family should be the real question.

Maybe that is why Columbus rates so high not to mention the fact that NOBODY here at the firm has ever even heard of this magazine(article a year old?)

Georgia in the top 10 again... Why is Columbus' growth so stagnant? Even if you add back in the deployed soldiers, Columbus' population is only estimated to have increased 3% since 2000. Of course, migration to Smiths and Harris has siphoned off 'intown' growth, but why isn't Intown Columbus growing more?

[LEFT][/LEFT]
permits)
Looks as if the Auburn-Opelika area (Lee County, AL.) is growing more from the looks of that graph.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,334 times
Some one isn't paying attention to the statistics of the cities in GA. Augusta, Macon and Savannah have all lost population during that same time span. Looks like Columbus is doing quite well. As a matter of fact this whole area is doing quite well.
Here's a short list of some of the activities available in the area.
- We are blessed to have two large universities, Columbus State (~8,000 students) and Auburn University(~24,500 students), with their assorted entertainments.
- Several nice hospitals (Houston Orthopedics Hospital, The Medical Center, Doctors Hospital, St. Francis and East Alabama Medical Center).
- Nice schools.
- A working, well functioning local government.
- Ballets, theater groups, symphony, Jazz Society,...
- Sports (Arena Football and Hockey)
- Youth Sports (baseball, football, basketball, soccer and swimming)
- Youth Skating Park and soon to have a Ice skating rink.
- Shopping for those who like it.
Not bad for a hell hole
Hip, hip, h-o-o-r-a-y!! Columbus Glee Club Member

Old 01-31-2009, 02:29 PM

726 posts, read 2,817,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Some one isn't paying attention to the statistics of the cities in GA. Augusta, Macon and Savannah have all lost population during that same time span. Looks like Columbus is doing quite well. As a matter of fact this whole area is doing quite well.
But thats still not explaining NOTHING all of the Second tier has the Same as you listed above or even more" I know Macon does because I live here" but it still does put Columbus ahead because pretty much playing catch up......to Macon, Augusta and Savannah....

Macon Area Colleges & University
Macon State College
Mercer University
Wesleyan College
Georgia College & State University-Milledgeville
Georgia College & State Graduate Center-DT Macon
Fort Valley State University-Fort Valley
Central Ga Tech-Macon
API Tech-Macon
Middle Ga College-Cochran
Middle Ga Tech-W.Robins

Hospitals
Medical Center of Central GA -Second Largest in GA
The Coliseum Medical center
Macon North side Hospital
Middle Children Hospital
Houston Regional Medical Center-W.Robins
Peach Regional Med. Center-Fort Valley
Central State Mental Hospital-Milledgeville
Oconee Regional Medical Center-Milledgeville
including:
Ballets, theater groups, symphony, Jazz Society,...
Sports (Arena Football,Basketball and Hockey)
Music Concerts from all the Big Artists.....
Youth Sports (baseball, football, basketball, soccer and swimming)
Ice skating rink
Shopping
Macon Mall
Shoppes at River crossing-new open air mall
Eisenhower Crossing
Galleria at Centerville-W.Robins
Dublin Mall-Dubin
Milledgeville Mall
and five new lifestyle centers under construction in Macon.....not including the ones in W.Robins...

And DT Macon has several Projects
3 block of DT building are being converting into Mix-used office and lofts
5 New Loft apartment developments-underway
$29 millions Mix-used living center-underway
New Conventional Center High rise- Marriott Hotel-open late 2009
New $75 million Macon/Bibb county judicial center-underway
and more..........

Old 01-31-2009, 03:36 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Columbus is playing catch up to Macon, GA? Give me a break dude rofl. Macon will always be GA's 4th city. I imagine Valdosta will one day take over Macon's spot as #4 though.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:55 PM

726 posts, read 2,817,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Columbus is playing catch up to Macon, GA? Give me a break dude rofl. Macon will always be GA's 4th city.
In your world that may be true......I'm not trying to play the your city has more than mine, but it plain as day that Macon is ahead of Columbus in every area, the only thing Columbus is in head of Macon is Pop. and that only because Columbus is consolidated with the county...... Tell me what puts Columbus so far ahead and don't name those same 'ole 4 companies and Ft. Benning..... To be honest the only city that has the most potential and will be fighting for number 2 is Augusta and Macon........

Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,334 times
yerocal, are you sure you are in Macon? Macon does not have a hockey team. It folded a while ago and Augusta's folded in 2008.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:58 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
In your world that may be true......I'm not trying to play the your city has more than mine, but it plain as day that Macon is ahead of Columbus in every area, the only thing Columbus is in head of Macon is Pop. and that only because Columbus is consolidated with the county...... Tell me what puts Columbus so far ahead and don't name those same 'ole 4 companies and Ft. Benning..... To be honest the only city that has the most potential and will be fighting for number 2 is Augusta and Macon........
Macon is not ahead of Columbus in anything man. When you have a Fortune 500 and 1000 companies, a military base like Fort Benning, museums and art facilities like Columbus has, a population close to Columbus, and a public/private sector that works closely together, then you can say Macon is like Columbus. Until then, Macon will be Columbus's little brother. There is nothing wrong with that. It is just reality right now.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:35 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post

LOL.... Macon fighting for #2 in what? I hope your not saying the number 2 city in the state. Could you please verify that because I know three cities that I would put ahead of Macon.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Macon is not ahead of Columbus in anything man. When you have a Fortune 500 and 1000 companies, a military base like Fort Benning, museums and art facilities like Columbus has, a population close to Columbus, and a public/private sector that works closely together, then you can say Macon is like Columbus. Until then, Macon will be Columbus's little brother. There is nothing wrong with that. It is just reality right now.

Agreed...Columbus does have the better cooperate businesses. I'm sure I'll get a response about how Macon has some distrubution centers and a geico office. The place can't be outdone to some people, they probably think Macon is ahead of Atlanta too!!! LOL....give me a break!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia