U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM

33 posts, read 127,810 times

Advertisements

First of all, us South Georgia residents consider Macon and anything further North a whole different Georgia. We like to visit, but we'll stay down here closer to Florida, thank you very much. We like the relatively mild weather (it freezes only maybe six to ten nights a year at most), but then again I like it hot/humid.

I'm a lifelong Georgia resident (all over the state), and in my humble opinion there are two towns that might fit the bill:

Valdosta, GA
Nice college town (with winning teams), good shopping and restaurants, and a small theme & water park (Wild Adventures) that your kids would love. I'd live there myself in a heartbeat. I spend a lot of time there and always feel very safe. The college aspect keep things lively, and downtown is being revitalized with coffee shops, art shops, and a monthly "First Friday" party that draws a good crowd downtown.

There are plenty of nice neighborhoods, plenty of school and church choices. It's right on the interstate if you need to get away. Nice mall and movie theaters, Best Buy, Books-A-Million, Red Lobster, etc. Definitely check Valdosta out!

Thomasville and Tifton are slightly smaller towns not too far away that you might look into. They are nice, but a little boring. But... that might be what you are looking for.

Douglas, GA
Much smaller than Valdosta, but if you are looking for laid-back people and cheap land/housing, this could be it.

My 2-story house in a good neighborhood here was about $100K (complete with pond access), but would cost 2 to 3x that much in Macon, Athens, or Savannah. Houses usually have plenty of real yard space, and we actually put cars in our garages (unlike other towns where they get used for junk storage). There are some nice Victorian homes here, many of which have been restored for living or office buildings. People do still sit on their front porches around here. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the local police department or a few of the local officials, but I've seen much worse.

There are a couple of smaller "communities" on the outskirts that have a growing Hispanic community, mostly due to the agricultural industries around here. Sunday we call "Mexico Day" at the local Wal-Mart, because you can hear plenty of Spanish spoken!

Plenty of hunting and fishing in the area (expect to see folks wearing camo year-round). Several of my female co-workers there actually go deer hunting.
They kind of roll up the streets around 9 or 10 pm, and Wal-Mart is a popular meeting place (well, not for me). There is plenty of farmng around... expect to see the county roads lined with cotton from the cotton trucks much of the year. Peanut farming and blueberry farming are popular here as well.

It's a good place for kids to grow up, and a good place to retire. Granted, it is a little dull for single folks, but there are 3 "watering holes" (Ruby Tuesday, Bowling Alley lounge, and the famous Fern Bank). Schools are average to good, and you have a choice of several in the area. There are Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Mormon, and other churches if you need one.

My usual entertainment consists of hanging out with friends on a back porch somewhere, and walking or biking most anywhere in town, or occasionally playing a little tennis. There's even a nice dedicated paved walking/bike path that goes all the way through town, through woods where a railroad track used to be.

Gossip travels fast, for better or worse. Visit any beautician for the latest scoop, or just ask around. You can find out anything about most anybody (for better or worse). I'm laughing a little, but it's kinda true. At least people are very friendly here. Oh, and there are three nice golf courses, including a cheap one at the 2-year college (South GA College). There is also have a tech institute.

It's also a pet-friendly place. Many folks have dogs and/or cats, and expect to see dogs riding in the back of pickup trucks (often surfing from side to side on top of the toolbox). Douglas is 1 hour from Valdosta (see above), about 2.5 hours from Savannah, 2 hours from Macon, and 2 hours to Jacksonville, FL or Fernandina Beach, FL. Y'all come see us, ya hear!

Tiny Towns:
There are also some very small and very country towns within 15 minutes, if you really want to go native. Pearson and Willacoochee are between Douglas and Valdosta. Nicholls and Ambrose (aka "L.A" or "Los Ambrose") are also 15-20 minutes away. Too country for me, but perfect for some.

For all these towns, expect summers in the 80s/90s and occasionally just over 100 degrees. Spring and Fall are very comfortable. We have mosquitoes, but they are pretty mild in most towns thanks to the "skeeter feeder" trucks that spray occasionally at night. I haven't been bitten in years... but maybe they like the taste of Yankee blood better.

Last edited by Thunderbolt_Guy; 02-07-2009 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM

102 posts, read 336,028 times
^Great Post!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 18,934 times
Thunderbolt, thank you very much for the thorough, detailed description! It really painted a picture that has helped tremendously!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 19,523 times
[url=http://www.yourthomasvilleagents.com/]Thomasville Georgia Realtors Thomas County Real Estate Homes & Land[/url] Great realestate agent(s)
[url=http://www.tcschool.org/]Thomasville Christian School > TCS[/url] Great school!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM

38 posts, read 107,936 times
Extreme North Georgia

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM

17 posts, read 38,888 times
Wow, what a great post and I enjoyed the read. "Your very entertaining" Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,170,992 times
i have lived in North GA, raised in South GA and currently live in Athens, GA (tween). IF i had to choose between N or S Ga, i would opt for south GA with its big sky, flatter land, water aquifers, proximity to florida and farther away from Atlanta. i see no one mentioned Blackshear, GA. i was wondering if that is an option for the OP?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,938,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt_Guy View Post
First of all, us South Georgia residents consider Macon and anything further North a whole different Georgia. We like to visit, but we'll stay down here closer to Florida, thank you very much. We like the relatively mild weather (it freezes only maybe six to ten nights a year at most), but then again I like it hot/humid.

I'm a lifelong Georgia resident (all over the state), and in my humble opinion there are two towns that might fit the bill:

Valdosta, GA
Nice college town (with winning teams), good shopping and restaurants, and a small theme & water park (Wild Adventures) that your kids would love. I'd live there myself in a heartbeat. I spend a lot of time there and always feel very safe. The college aspect keep things lively, and downtown is being revitalized with coffee shops, art shops, and a monthly "First Friday" party that draws a good crowd downtown.

There are plenty of nice neighborhoods, plenty of school and church choices. It's right on the interstate if you need to get away. Nice mall and movie theaters, Best Buy, Books-A-Million, Red Lobster, etc. Definitely check Valdosta out!

Thomasville and Tifton are slightly smaller towns not too far away that you might look into. They are nice, but a little boring. But... that might be what you are looking for.

Douglas, GA
Much smaller than Valdosta, but if you are looking for laid-back people and cheap land/housing, this could be it.

My 2-story house in a good neighborhood here was about $100K (complete with pond access), but would cost 2 to 3x that much in Macon, Athens, or Savannah. Houses usually have plenty of real yard space, and we actually put cars in our garages (unlike other towns where they get used for junk storage). There are some nice Victorian homes here, many of which have been restored for living or office buildings. People do still sit on their front porches around here. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the local police department or a few of the local officials, but I've seen much worse.

There are a couple of smaller "communities" on the outskirts that have a growing Hispanic community, mostly due to the agricultural industries around here. Sunday we call "Mexico Day" at the local Wal-Mart, because you can hear plenty of Spanish spoken!

Plenty of hunting and fishing in the area (expect to see folks wearing camo year-round). Several of my female co-workers there actually go deer hunting.
They kind of roll up the streets around 9 or 10 pm, and Wal-Mart is a popular meeting place (well, not for me). There is plenty of farmng around... expect to see the county roads lined with cotton from the cotton trucks much of the year. Peanut farming and blueberry farming are popular here as well.

It's a good place for kids to grow up, and a good place to retire. Granted, it is a little dull for single folks, but there are 3 "watering holes" (Ruby Tuesday, Bowling Alley lounge, and the famous Fern Bank). Schools are average to good, and you have a choice of several in the area. There are Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Mormon, and other churches if you need one.

My usual entertainment consists of hanging out with friends on a back porch somewhere, and walking or biking most anywhere in town, or occasionally playing a little tennis. There's even a nice dedicated paved walking/bike path that goes all the way through town, through woods where a railroad track used to be.

Gossip travels fast, for better or worse. Visit any beautician for the latest scoop, or just ask around. You can find out anything about most anybody (for better or worse). I'm laughing a little, but it's kinda true. At least people are very friendly here. Oh, and there are three nice golf courses, including a cheap one at the 2-year college (South GA College). There is also have a tech institute.

It's also a pet-friendly place. Many folks have dogs and/or cats, and expect to see dogs riding in the back of pickup trucks (often surfing from side to side on top of the toolbox). Douglas is 1 hour from Valdosta (see above), about 2.5 hours from Savannah, 2 hours from Macon, and 2 hours to Jacksonville, FL or Fernandina Beach, FL. Y'all come see us, ya hear!

Tiny Towns:
There are also some very small and very country towns within 15 minutes, if you really want to go native. Pearson and Willacoochee are between Douglas and Valdosta. Nicholls and Ambrose (aka "L.A" or "Los Ambrose") are also 15-20 minutes away. Too country for me, but perfect for some.

For all these towns, expect summers in the 80s/90s and occasionally just over 100 degrees. Spring and Fall are very comfortable. We have mosquitoes, but they are pretty mild in most towns thanks to the "skeeter feeder" trucks that spray occasionally at night. I haven't been bitten in years... but maybe they like the taste of Yankee blood better.
Douglas,Ga--------is that the Douglas GA that has a crime index over 3x the national average ?

Heck, Douglas GA even has Pine Bluff Arkansas beat with their high crime rate and Pine Bluff is considered the laughing stock of Arkansas when it comes to crime.

-----"and a good place to retire"-

That high of a crime rate will scare most retirees away.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 PM

258 posts, read 405,919 times
Statesboro Georgia. They still have a statue of a confederate soldier(war hero) on the courthouse square!!!!!!!!!! Long live the south!!!!!! Home of Georgia Southern University

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,404,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Douglas,Ga--------is that the Douglas GA that has a crime index over 3x the national average ?

Heck, Douglas GA even has Pine Bluff Arkansas beat with their high crime rate and Pine Bluff is considered the laughing stock of Arkansas when it comes to crime.

-----"and a good place to retire"-

That high of a crime rate will scare most retirees away.

Its not far off from atlanta's crime index.

They have an insanely high amount of non-violent crime; thefts, burglaries, etc . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia