U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 PM

470 posts, read 1,343,247 times

Advertisements

Hi - Watkinsville and Oconee County might fit your requirements. Getting your acre without paying for the rest of your life depends upon what you consider expensive and how close in/far out you want to live. There are some good bargains out there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM

63 posts, read 256,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campkrazy View Post
Harris Co.

We are a rural county.
There is Pine Mt.
Which has www.callawaygardens.com
Little White House nearby www.warmspringsga.com

We have a great school sytem.
I live in the Fortson area.Our son and family live in Hamilton.
I TOTALLY agree with this post, Harris County was my first thought. The high school was very good (I went there), and I know that several of the elementary schools are too--I have heard quite a bit about Park, which a child would attend if he/she lived in Hamilton, Pine Mountain, and maybe a few more areas. The Pine Mountain area also has great hiking, fishing, camping, horseback riding, etc. Because of Callaway Gardens the Pine Mountain area also has a good selection of restaurants and shops for a town of its size, and it is very picturesque.
My parents are selling the home I grew up in, which is right outside Pine Mountain. I think they have around an acre and it backs up against Roosevelt State Park. There is also land for sale next door to them. Their realtor is John Bunn and he is really nice and has been in business a long time, so if you choose Harris County I recommend him. And if you do choose the Harris County area, my parents house was built around 1915 or 1920 and is 3-4 bedroom and 2 baths.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 11,740 times
Thomasville is a great small town with friendly people. Not too far to drive to the beach, clost to Tallahassee. Brookwood is a private school in Thomasville where most of the locals send thier kids for a good education.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,407,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia_angel View Post
Brookwood is a private school in Thomasville where most of the locals send thier kids for a good education.
"most" is a bit of a stretch. the k-12 population is less than 500.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 152,858 times
Hartwell, Georgia!
It has a pristine, 56,000 acre lake, so there is money enough coming into the town to create good schools and infrastructure, but it has maintained its small town culture and community feel.
Other than the lake, the largest income producing industry is agriculture. So, we have existed on the backs of down to earth folks since the founding of the town. The lake is just a really, really nice addition!
Unless you plan to live on the lake, an acre isn't going to set you back very much at all. You could easily find an acre and a nice brick home big enough for your family in the $110k range.
Check out Hartwell; I think you and your family will really like it!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM

4 posts, read 21,118 times
I'm also planning on relocating to Blackshear GA. I hear the population is under 4 thousand. Is that true? Also, I can not find a place to rent. I've been searching the internet, and nothing comes up. I currently live in AZ and would like a locals view on Blackshear. Thanks.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,407,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsmeow01 View Post
I'm also planning on relocating to Blackshear GA. I hear the population is under 4 thousand. Is that true? Also, I can not find a place to rent. I've been searching the internet, and nothing comes up. I currently live in AZ and would like a locals view on Blackshear. Thanks.
A town with a population of less than 4k isn't going to have many rental properties. But its only about 10 minutes from Waycross. You may have to find something there. There's not much in the way of shopping or dining in blackshear anyhow; you may prefer to be in waycross. Why not search for property managers in the area?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM

13,368 posts, read 18,710,572 times
Depending on the size you're looking for, Valdosta or Tifton would be good. Valdosta has about 50,000 people, and Lowndes County about 100,000 people. Tifton has about 15,000 people, and Tift County about 40,000 people. Both are located on I-75. Valdosta is about 90 minutes from Tallahassee, two hours from Jacksonville, and three hours from both Atlanta and Orlando. Tifton is farther from Jacksonville and Orlando than Valdosta is, but closer to Atlanta, and equidistant from Tallahassee.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
Douglas is a racist town and if you enjoy that this is the best place for you. They enjoy hiding people in the jail system for drugs, burglary and etc. Except do nothing when a murder is committed, we have 19 unsolved murders and do you think this is a place where the police protect and serve I don't think so. They say its expensive to buy a home in Atlanta but think of the oppurtunities that you have there before you move to Douglas, Ga think and look more into it..................................

Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 AM

62 posts, read 191,493 times
Default Oconee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
Hi - Watkinsville and Oconee County might fit your requirements. Getting your acre without paying for the rest of your life depends upon what you consider expensive and how close in/far out you want to live. There are some good bargains out there right now.
Second the recommendation by keeshonder. While I don't live there, I do live on the county line. My son and his wife just moved to Oconee from Gwinnett County primarily for the better schools. The have three children below high school age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia