U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 AM

44 posts, read 145,538 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I've lived in southern Vermont for the last 10 years and I just want to get out, out, out!

Ideally I would like to move to a warmer climate, close to beaches, fairly rural and definately not too expensive that has the additional qualities of being "animal friendly" as I have a small menagerie moving with me and that may be able to provide me with the availability of single men, or some sort of social scene.

I am looking at the Brunswick, GA and surrounding areas. Input anyone?

Thanks,

cb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 07:26 AM

10,223 posts, read 21,005,257 times
Have you ever been there? I would highly recommend that you come to visit during the summer and stay for a few days. Since you are from Vermont, you need to feel what it is like.

Single men? LOL. There are probably a few, but as far as a social life, uhhh, it would depend on your definition of social life. You might find one, but the odds are against finding much. But if you were willing to make the drive out to St. Simons, maybe you'd find something to do.

I have a neighbor from Vermont who spends his winters in the south. He's looking for a girlfriend...

Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM

44 posts, read 145,538 times
Oh dear, the single scene is to LOL at? That's one of the main reasons I want to leave VT!

Are you recommeding that I come to visit in the summer due to the heat and humidity, to see if I can tolerate it?

My mother was a southerner (South Carolina) and that's where I spent my summers as a child so I am familiar with that aspect of the south. Frankly, I'd rather have the heat and humidity of the south than the cold, snow and ice that New England has to offer.

As far as driving a distance in order to obtain a social life, I'm fine with that. Given that I would probably be making that drive in order to go to work (I am in the hospitality industry)each day, it's not a prohibitive factor for me. Anyhow, I can't imagine the commute would be that bad...

Thanks for the reply ellie, any other tips/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

cb

Old 03-15-2007, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 41,176 times
I May Be Transfered To Glynn County But I Have Small Childrens And Not Sure About The Crime Rate And School Systems.
I Have Vacationed Down There For The Past 18 Years. St Simons Has Music Bars Ect But It Is More Laid Back Than Big Beaches Or Big Cities, You Are An Hour Away From Jacksonville Which Is A Nice City Also. The Beaches Are More Laid Back In Ga And Very Animal Friendly. Then A Short Drive To More Waves And What Every In Florida.
It Is Beautiful Down There If You Like Water Marshes And Moss Hanging From Tree's. If You Love To Fish And Do Outdoor Activities Then This Is Right For You.
St Marys Just South Of There It Is Also Nice, And Some Homes Near The Beaches Are A Little Cheaper.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,809 times
I agree with the previous reply saying you should come down & visit. Your use to South Carolina heat.. Keep going south it gets hotter, muggier & BUGGIER.. The school system in Glynn County is terrible as most school systems in Georgia. If your seeking a night life, there is usually a good size crowd at the Walmart parking lot. I can't personally vouch for them as I drive by with my doors locked. You must brush up on your Spanish as the Mexican population is growing tremendously. The housing & land is extrememly far from cheap. Remember all places have good and bad. Some more than others. Overall only you can make the decision as to where you want to live.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:26 AM

111 posts, read 826,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleobarker View Post
Hello everyone. I've lived in southern Vermont for the last 10 years and I just want to get out, out, out!

Ideally I would like to move to a warmer climate, close to beaches, fairly rural and definately not too expensive that has the additional qualities of being "animal friendly" as I have a small menagerie moving with me and that may be able to provide me with the availability of single men, or some sort of social scene.

I am looking at the Brunswick, GA and surrounding areas. Input anyone?

Thanks,

cb
Warm climate - yes!!!

Close to the beaches -yes!!!

Rural - yes, but with modern convenience's and close to Jacksonville for big city "stuff".

Animal friendly -depends. If you're looking to buy a house in a new development, they tend to have pretty strict covenents in the new areas. I've been house hunting for my MIL for the past week and the neighborhood that she's moving to doesn't allow outside pets. The beaches allow pets and you see a lot of dogs on the beaches around here.

Social Scene??? - depends on what you're interested in. There are many, many activities, associations, churches, clubs, and charities to get involved with. I haven't seen much of a bar scene, but I'm sure it's here if you look. What kind of social activities are you looking for????

Old 05-25-2007, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cragar View Post
I agree with the previous reply saying you should come down & visit. Your use to South Carolina heat.. Keep going south it gets hotter, muggier & BUGGIER.. The school system in Glynn County is terrible as most school systems in Georgia. If your seeking a night life, there is usually a good size crowd at the Walmart parking lot. I can't personally vouch for them as I drive by with my doors locked. You must brush up on your Spanish as the Mexican population is growing tremendously. The housing & land is extrememly far from cheap. Remember all places have good and bad. Some more than others. Overall only you can make the decision as to where you want to live.
Yikes.

I am saddened to learn that people are painting Glynn Co. with this brush. None of this is true. (Well, except the bugs. ) If you have never met a sand gnat, get used to it!

Other than that - I grew up in Glynn Co., went through the public schools, and went on to a great college + a great job (in Boston...but that's another story.) It really is a terrific place to live.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:02 PM

75 posts, read 355,152 times
Default hey

when i lived in glynn county, they had some activities that i havent found anywhere else including atlanta. they had polo matches and rugby teams. I use to watch the polo matches and i tried out for the rugyby team(ended up not having time to do practices..........The best seafood restaurant in the world is up the road a few miles(pelican point), they catch their own seafood.
it is all in the attitude you have when you visit a location. if youre negative you only see negative....blah blah blah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or