U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,742,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
population density is irrelevant. i believe you only say this because your idea of a truly "metropolitan" area is a city like atlanta or comparible.

the msa i live in, valdosta, includes three very rural counties. a county is added when 50% + of its work force commutes to the principal county of an msa.

msa's aren't created so the map companies can shade in certain areas a different color.

becoming an MSA or joining an existing one opens up a lot of federal funding to an area, and allows that area to compete for projects that wouldn't be built in a non-msa.
Its actually just 25% commuting to a metro. It doesn't have to be to the core county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't have a problem with MSA's being county based. It's just on boards like these when people grab a statistic to prove something about their city as superior to another when a closer look will show that there are discrepancies in the system that these finer points need to be brought out.

MSA's used to require a core city to have a population of 50,000. I see that has slipped as Valdosta, Gainesville, Dalton and others do not have a core population of 50,000. But that proves my point that one shouldn't compare one city to another as city limits and land area of a particular city often times do not reflect the true size of a city.
You're right. It is a purely statistical definition used by the federal goverment for their purposes. Its meant to define areas with "a high degree of economic interaction". Its when we try to assign other meaning to it that makes it seem flawed.

The requirement for an MSA is a core urban area of at least 50,000, not city population.

CSA's are defined as MSA's/msa's with a certain amount of interaction between them. It uses a formula to arrive at a "interaction level". Using Gainesville MSA as an example, it would use the % of Gainesville workers commuting to metro Atlanta and the % Gainesville jobs held by metro Atlanta residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,405,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Its actually just 25% commuting to a metro. It doesn't have to be to the core county.

you're exactly right.

where did i read 50%? was that a previous requirement?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 PM

688 posts, read 1,093,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
you're exactly right.

where did i read 50%? was that a previous requirement?
In that case how in the world was W.Robins able to break away for Macon's Metro....I know a large percentage of W.Robins/Houston county travel and rely on heavily Macon for school, work, media and etc.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,496,126 times
LOL! They probably broke away due to the fact that the people of Warner Robbins/Houston County want to distance themselves as far as they possibly can from anything related to Macon/Bibb County.

In reality, it means that no more than 24% of each Counties residents commute to the other County. School, media, shopping doesn't matter - it's all about the jobs.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! They probably broke away due to the fact that the people of Warner Robbins/Houston County want to distance themselves as far as they possibly can from anything related to Macon/Bibb County.

In reality, it means that no more than 24% of each Counties residents commute to the other County. School, media, shopping doesn't matter - it's all about the jobs.
well that couldn't be the case because mostly all the jobs in MGA are located in Macon.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,496,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
well that couldn't be the case because mostly all the jobs in MGA are located in Macon.
Well, then the Feds have obviously made a grave error. You should probably start a letter writing campaign to the Census Bureau to have them correct this slight to Macon.

With the general decline in the Macon economy, I find it hard to believe that most jobs in Middle Georgia are located there. Do you have a link to back up this claim?

What about the huge base of over 20,000 workers at the Air Force base? That must be the reason for the change in rankings. More people must be going from Macon to Warner Robbins for jobs than the other way around. I'm really not surprised.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well, then the Feds have obviously made a grave error. You should probably start a letter writing campaign to the Census Bureau to have them correct this slight to Macon.

With the general decline in the Macon economy, I find it hard to believe that most jobs in Middle Georgia are located there. Do you have a link to back up this claim?

What about the huge base of over 20,000 workers at the Air Force base? That must be the reason for the change in rankings. More people must be going from Macon to Warner Robbins for jobs than the other way around. I'm really not surprised.
Well obliviously you NOT from or have NOT a bit of Knowledge about MGA and Macon. The only Jobs Located in Warner Robins is the Base and Frito lays DC in perry. Everything else is in Macon all jobs, colleges/universities, and etc..Everyone from Middle Ga knows that, you can go to MGA economic work force website or research Macon in more depth. Macon work force is not in decline. Macon only loss "1" big operation since this economic down turn and that was Wal-mart return center moving operation to Sumter. With in the last 3 year Macon has had several companies to build and open operations within Bibb county as well as in the surrounding metro area ( MBM DC, Sara Lee DC, KOHLs DC, Kohmo Tires Manf./DC, Bass Pro SE DC,Academy DC, Nichitishi Manf./DC, Kellogg DC all in bibb county and more are planned but postponed the ground breakings until 2010. So what are you talking about, it seems that you need to do more research before you speak. the only thing thats Macon Has lost is pop and that is because the pop is moving further out in the county to the new sprawling growth and development areas of bibb county, but once Consolidation passes that will change because Macon's pop will go back up well over 100,000... No back to the topic........This is not about just Macon

Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM

10,682 posts, read 21,322,477 times
Awwww....NewtownMacon is mad. He doesn't want to admit that he was wrong about Shreveport retailers.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Awwww....NewtownMacon is mad. He doesn't want to admit that he was wrong about Shreveport retailers.
Wrong about What?

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM

10,682 posts, read 21,322,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Wrong about What?
You said there was a Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus in Shreveport. Prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia