Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,020,209 times

Advertisements

Macon metro 229,846

MSA in order
Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon

CSA in order. Augusta doesn't have one but same order except sav & col
Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Macon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

726 posts, read 2,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Columbus metro 282,756.

Macon metro 229,846

MSA in order
Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon

CSA in order. Augusta doesn't have one but same order except sav & col
Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Macon
Thats wrong because Macon MSA As of the 2000 census, had a population of 293,000 and the CSA; Macon-Warner Robins area is combined.....2007 estimate placed the population at 386,534

Last edited by yerocal; 02-04-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,020,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Thats wrong because Macon MSA As of the 2000 census, had a population of 293,000 and the CSA; Macon-Warner Robins area is combined.....2007 estimate placed the population at 386,534
No that info is correct. Macon msa is 230,000 people. Warner robins was apart of Macon msa in 2000 so naturally its going to be lower now. Since warner robins has its own metro area. Warner robins is in Macon's CSA not MSA.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,840,131 times
the way these msas are determined for various cities seems rather arbitrary and confusing. Aiken is included in Augusts's MSA but Beafort is not included in Savannah's.
Plus the way MSas are calculated use counties as measuring units.. Georgia counties are quite small geographically. Counties in SC are very large geographically...so if your msa includes SC counties, it may be a bit inflated.
I think Augusta should have a CSA... and Aiken should be a separate micropolitan statistacl area and part of Augusta's CSA... same with beaufort/Hilton Head and Savannah.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
the way these msas are determined for various cities seems rather arbitrary and confusing. Aiken is included in Augusts's MSA but Beafort is not included in Savannah's.
Plus the way MSas are calculated use counties as measuring units.. Georgia counties are quite small geographically. Counties in SC are very large geographically...so if your msa includes SC counties, it may be a bit inflated.
I think Augusta should have a CSA... and Aiken should be a separate micropolitan statistacl area and part of Augusta's CSA... same with beaufort/Hilton Head and Savannah.
Honestly Warner Robins is much closer to Macon, than Aiken is to Augusta it seem so stupid to have two separate Metro when they are less than 15 miles apart and they both depend on each other with Macon having the largest pull. Also I think that some of Georgia's Counties should be Combined.....

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,840,131 times
I just assumed that warner robins was included in Macon's MSA...if Aiken is included in Augusta's MSA then certainly Warner Robins should be included in Macons...both cities are about the same distance the primary city..use the same airport... etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I just assumed that warner robins was included in Macon's MSA...if Aiken is included in Augusta's MSA then certainly Warner Robins should be included in Macons...both cities are about the same distance the primary city..use the same airport... etc.
I agree 100%

Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,216,560 times
if i'm not mistaken,

an area is added to an MSA when 50% or more of its workforce commutes to the metro city for work.

i know valdosta was designated an MSA only because there were enough people meeting this requirement in brooks, echols, and lanier county traveling into valdosta; at the time, valdosta's population was around 47k and the numbers of the commuters pushed it over 50k, which is the population requirement for MSA designation.

so i think that should answer your questions.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:39 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,954,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Read my post above yours & try again. There is a difference between city & metro populations.
That's my point. And city populations don't really mean much. Metro populations mean a lot more. If I wanted to size up what kind of place a city is, I would need to know metro population. If I wanted to get a feel for how much amenities and traffic Atlanta has, telling me Atlanta has 500 something thousand people isn't going to help one iota. Telling me Atlanta has 5 million people is much more useful. Since cities proper don't all have the same square miles, comparing populations of cities proper is not all that useful.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,954,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Honestly Warner Robins is much closer to Macon, than Aiken is to Augusta it seem so stupid to have two separate Metro when they are less than 15 miles apart and they both depend on each other with Macon having the largest pull.
Exactly. That's why there is even a such thing as Macon Warner-Robbins MSA. The amenities you tend to find in a city, any city, typically more closely follows the metro population. When people think of NYC, for example, and all the amenities it has, and it being the largest city in the US, nobody seriously leaves it at Manhattan having 1.6 million people. Folks consider the entire metro area with its 8.3 million people. Talk about Atlanta and people who have spent any time there think of the thick traffic. But you don't get thick traffic like that with 500 something thousand people. You are exactly right, it's stupid to separate areas that are that close. That's why people usually consider the metro area moreso than an arbitrary city proper boundary and population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia