Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM

66 posts, read 207,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Macon is wrong.
no its not it is the comined area of Macon, Warner Robins, Fort Valley, Perry, Dublin, and Byron . Its a Much Larger Metro area if your considering land than that of Augusa and Columbus even Savannah. If the rest of the area like Dublin, Fort Valley( Fort Valley State, Lane and Blue Bird along with the supposed rail system), and Warner Robins grow like it is. It Should Start rivals Atlanta's in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

66 posts, read 207,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
I agree, that my point i have been trying to make the only reason Augusta, Columbus and Athens Stats are so high is because of consolidated city/county govt's... And for the others it just Atlanta over pour.....It Funny how people consider a city to be larger just because of Pop... When i think of a city to be larger I thought that meant in size.. not POP
But to be honest the correct list by land size not Pop..

Atlanta
Augusta
Columbus
Savannah
Macon
Albany
Athens
Warner Robins..........
if Atlanta could Annex all the land it want there would be no Macon/Warner Robins Metro, or Columbus Metro. Just to be saying

Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 PM

837 posts, read 1,386,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyarmonG View Post
no its not it is the comined area of Macon, Warner Robins, Fort Valley, Perry, Dublin, and Byron . Its a Much Larger Metro area if your considering land than that of Augusa and Columbus even Savannah. If the rest of the area like Dublin, Fort Valley( Fort Valley State, Lane and Blue Bird along with the supposed rail system), and Warner Robins grow like it is. It Should Start rivals Atlanta's in 10 years.
Man, Finally someone on here that knows what their talking about, i agree with you 100%..... This is what i have been trying to get people to see all along.....

Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 AM

150 posts, read 393,217 times
I was just wondering where in the world is John's Creek. Its population increased by 20,000 and I do not even know where it is!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,369,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post
I was just wondering where in the world is John's Creek. Its population increased by 20,000 and I do not even know where it is!
An extension of Duluth in Fulton County.
Covers Fulton Pleasant Hill Road and Rt 141.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,171,775 times
Its in north Fulton county and was incorporated in 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmandr View Post

Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,386,378 times
More projects Scheduled for Macon
Pierce to Arkwright exits to get huge, 3-year renovation
This summer, the Georgia Department of Transportation will launch an ambitious, three-year renovation of the stretch of Interstate 75 from Pierce Avenue to Arkwright Road.
The project will include widening the interstate to six lanes, rebuilding several bridges and replacing and moving the southbound entrance and exit ramps near Pierce Avenue.

Pierce to Arkwright exits to get huge, 3-year renovation - Local & State - Macon

Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,838,390 times
If Fort Benning gets as many BRAC jobs as expected over the next 5 years.. it will likely overtake Augusta as the state's second largest city. The two cities are separated by only about 8,000 ppl or less.. Growth for both cities has been stagnant... The Iraq war caused Columbus' population to decline.. but as those troops are pulled out and return as promised by Obama by 2010, then Columbus should see a population spike and coupled with BRAC, may be able to top 200K. Though I think the lable of 2nd largest city really doesn't mean a whole lot.. I mean we are often talking about differences of less than 10K ppl.. I guess it gives one city bragging rights over the other, but beyond that, it really doesn't mean that much.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,214,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
.. The Iraq war caused Columbus' population to decline.. but as those troops are pulled out and return as promised by Obama by 2010, then Columbus should see a population spike and coupled with BRAC, may be able to top 200K.
physically, they are gone, but as for census data, any troops currently deployed in a war zone should still be included in the population count for columbus. so troops returning home wouldn't inflate any numbers, because they're already accounted for.

do you have the numbers from before and after the start of the war?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,179,046 times
I believe it was the July 2007 census estimates where Columbus had seen a dramatic drop in its population (about 4K), all of it was attributed to the deployment of troops at Fort Benning. The returned of the troops corrected the data skewed data. Including the abnormal spike, unlike other mid-size cities in GA Columbus has enjoyed a steady controlled increase in population. The inclusion of BRAC troops, civilian personnel and normal growth will push Columbus well over the 200K mark. I suppose, when the actual 2010 census is taken Columbus will be the second largest city in GA again. For what it's worth. The problem we are having is trying to prepare for such a large number of people over a short period of time (housing, schools, hospitals, roads,...). It is a major undertaking, during a recession nonetheless, but I believe Columbus can pull it off. Columbus has a good group of men and women on the city council. It has dusted itself off from the demise of the cotton mills in the 80's and transformed itself into and high tech, financial, industrial and medical town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia