U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:35 PM

267 posts, read 642,194 times

Advertisements

Will it be 40% Metro Atlanta. 40% Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, Macon. 20% Athens, Valdosta, Brunswick, Albany and the rest of GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM

726 posts, read 2,593,492 times
Everyone knows that anything that comes to Ga stop in Atlanta...Growth, FED Money, Jobs, People and Etc. While the rest of Ga suffers and shares the crumbs.....

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,838,794 times
STAY ON TOPIC, PEOPLE.

The topic of this thread is "What city will get most money in Georgia from obama's bill." It is not a thread to toss out how much you love OR hate the President, how much you generally agree with him or not, or what you think about people who voted for him or not. There is a politics room down the hall. This isn't it. This is the Georgia room.

Repeat...topic...."What city will get most money in Georgia from obama's bill.".

Express your opinions on THAT. Blanket political statements will be deleted or the thread closed if folks can't stick to the topic of how this has an effect on Georgia cities.

Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-10-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,957,385 times
Hopefuly none. They need to stop overspending and actually rely on and cherish their tax base. Not treat residents like expendable piggy banks.

I really hope not a cent comes through.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM

969 posts, read 2,661,660 times
Agreed cityrover!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,416,664 times
Let's see... more than 50% of the state's population resides in metro Atlanta... so it would be logical to assume a proportionate amount of the stimulus would be spent in that area. It would be smart if Georgia's second tier cities banded together to get an appropriate slice of the pie.. all of them have similar needs...law enforcement, public transit, infrasttructure. If they work together as a team, instead of working against one another, they would stand a much better chance in getting what they need out of the stimulus. Instead of asking for pork projects like Halls of fame and waterparks, stick to the basics.: infrastructure, police and fire personnel, public transportation, technical and job training, and housing.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM

543 posts, read 1,147,895 times
I dont agree musket. Just because ATL has half the population doesn't mean the logical thing to do is give them half the money. Altanta need relief. The traffic coming in and out is choking the city. It needs breathing room and some to take the load off it back. I believe new interstates, hospitals, major airports and yes a little pork-like projects in the second-tier city would does georgia just right.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM

688 posts, read 1,096,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
I dont agree musket. Just because ATL has half the population doesn't mean the logical thing to do is give them half the money. Altanta need relief. The traffic coming in and out is choking the city. It needs breathing room and some to take the load off it back. I believe new interstates, hospitals, major airports and yes a little pork-like projects in the second-tier city would does georgia just right.
I agree 100%.........

Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,254,871 times
Well, the question is more: What money is there in the bill and for whom? Population may not be the key to what parts of the state get the most money, and most of the money to the states is for social spending and not true stimulus. Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment and COBRA benefits, and education will go to the poorest areas in the Georgia with the most unemployment.

The real stimulus for highways and other construction will probably be split with projects that have been on the books but unfunded getting most of those dollars. I would guess that the Atlanta metro will get a good chunk of it, with projects like the toll HOV lanes on I-85 and I-75 getting built.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:56 PM

14,445 posts, read 10,481,514 times
Expanding Atlanta's highway system is the epitome of insanity, as was the bail out for "Big Auto."

The age of cheap and plentiful oil started to end in 1970s. We're importing 70% of our consumption. America has long past the point when she was "Queen of Oil".

What manner of lunatics think that robbing taxpayers will somehow fix this problem?

I would rather not be pessimistic, but I fear that robbing St. Peter, to pay St. Paul, and taking a cut in the process, is not an effective way to "stimulate" anything, except more theft-by-government.

On the other hand, if there was intelligent life in the government, and legislations, in particular, we might see advocacy for an expansion of alternative transportation systems not dependent upon fossil fuels. (Remember, asphalt pavement is dependent upon petroleum, too.)

In short, the future is electric rail, in all forms - urban, interurban, subway, heavy rail, funicular, and cable.

Before petroleum's rise, there were boats and railroads.
After petroleum's demise, there will be boats and electric railroads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia