Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 28,153 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Americus, GA area. We're doing an internet search for places to rent or buy, and we haven't had a chance to visit the area yet.

Could folks give us some insight into parts of Americus that we should look into? And likewise, parts of the town that we should definitely avoid, because of crime or other concerns? We see that there are loft apartments available in downtown Americus -- would it be safe there, and would it be relatively quiet at night during the week?

Any insight into the surrounding Sumter County area would be welcomed, too!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 AM

A big thumbs up to anybody who can share any information about Americus.

Thanks,
krbr17

Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krbr17 View Post
A big thumbs up to anybody who can share any information about Americus.
Americus, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Americus, GA
Americus Times-Recorder, Americus, Georgia - Homepage

Americus Georgia - Google Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Anybody have actual first-hand advice about Americus? I had reviewed the websites cited above before even posting on this forum, and those websites weren't a wealth of knowledge. We're hoping for some words about good/bad parts of town, etc. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
all things considered, americus isn't all that bad. It has a smallish university there. The downtown is pleasant anchored by an old, remodeled hotel with a great restaurant. It is simply deep south. There is crime there as it is all over the nation, the world for that matter. Some racial tensions but that is true all over as well. If i were locating to the "gnat belt", americus would be on my check it out list along with fitzgerald, moultrie, thomasville, douglas. They are clean towns mostly but economically mostly dead or dying. Industries have closed down in all those areas big time. Not likely to come back. If you are financially secure, then americus might be a place for you. As in most deep south communities, there is a certain amount of 'you ain't from around here' but if you get involved in a church or a local civic group, you increase your social opportunities immensely. Too often, people expect someone else to make the first move. Doesn't work.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM

24 posts, read 73,814 times
Americus is not bad for a small town. It's a very pleasant community. I don't think there is that much crime. There was a tornado that came through the city a year or two ago. So they are still trying to rebuild. On the outskirts of town is where the wealthy live. There are a few mansions. I don't know whether they are big enough to be considered mansions, but they are nice houses! There is not too much of the bad. Most of the bad sections are in the inner city. I live about 30 minutes north of Americus in Macon County so I do visit there occassionally. I haven't been there in a while. I hope this helps!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,401 times
Can you say something about what parts of town to avoid as unpleasant and undesireable.? We are a middle age couple relocating to Americus as a Job Transfer so we would like to know where should we look to live.Thank you so much your feedback can help us a lot.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,856 times
Didn't notice the date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia