Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times

Advertisements

Sherwood Baptist Church is a bright spot in Albany. They produced "Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM

12 posts, read 32,159 times
I have lived in a lot of place in GA and have friends and family scattered all over the state. So, I have been just about everywhere in GA and I have to say......yes, Albany IS that bad. I'm sorry but black or white, there is a lot of crime! Comparable to ATL if not worse because it's a small town. I don't know why (gangs?) but the crime is a big problem that noone seems to be able to control. There is a few good neighborhoods, a nice mall, and lot of places to eat. Just make sure you do it all during day light hours!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 PM

254 posts, read 369,654 times
I like Albany. While I live near Atlanta, I have friends in Albany and visit a few times a year and it seems nice. Maybe I just havent been to bad areas, idk, but the riverfront aquarium area is very nice.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
I have lived here for 28 years, moving from the Raleigh-Durham area which was rated in the top 3 areas in the US. I would not be living here except for the nice job and house. In 1996, my job relocated to Gainesville, Fl., again, voted in the top 3 to live, while Albany was rate around 185, consistently. I couldn't find an affordable home in Fl. and commuted for 6 years until I retired. Albany is now the lowest income rated in Ga. It used to be called the "Artesian City" and was on the patches on the APD uniforms. That's why the brewery is here, because of the water, not the people. Then someone came up with the "Good Life City"...more like the "Good Grief City". I am now retired and in this economy, Ican't get anything for my nice house, so my wife and I use Albany as a central point to travel or go to Panama City, Myrtle Beach and other places.
When I first got here, I would go to a fast food place and the Blacks would be waited on before me. My best friend got the same treatment and got out of here and moved to Tallahassee, partly because of the way he was treated. I have lived in the South most of my life. Virginia, North & S. Carolina (married a SC girl), Warner Robins, Ga, Texas, Southern Ca. South Vietnam and South Korea, ha ha. My father was in the military and growing up, I played ball with the blacks and was in the military service and retired from the US Government. This is the strangest place I have ever lived concerning racial issues. The Blacks (I don't call them African-American...because they are NOT. Obama is...because he has an African father.) The Blacks here act like the whites owe them something. Both white and black officials argue on TV city and county sessions and it was really getting bad here. My wife hates it here and the few Blacks that moved here and worked in the the same field as I did, commented, "What's wrong with these "******s" here." ...their quote, and they got out of here. I had a Black neighbor single woman that had a high level job and she moved back to Atlanta for the same reason. After 25 years, Albany is finally waking up because of the poor economy. Actually, it's the restaurant, fast-food, and retail industry that is "forcing" them to be polite. "Can I help you?" "Did you find everyone you were looking for?" Welcome to .... and thanks for coming." The last 2 years I am now hearing this and first wondered if I was still in Albany. You can't blame being 40 miles from the Interstate, losing the military airport because the mayor's interest was in the small one that can't be expanded, but it's the people that make the place and I have lived and been or lived on 5 continents. Now if they could get rid of those crooked politicians and school officials.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,104 times
Thumbs down Thank you for your post

Thanks for your post, I've recently talked with a company there in reference to relocating for a management position, however I've never heard of Ablany but your post has made me feel better in reference to relocating. I'm a women relocating alone, can you advise me of an area in Albany or outside of Albany where there is good food, shopping and a nice community to move to
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovealbany View Post
I agree with the positive posts about Albany. We have friendly people, warm weather, beautiful scenery, golf courses, and plenty of family oriented activities. We're witihin 3 hours of the mountains or the beach and 90 minutes from high end shopping in Atlanta or Tallahasse. Over the past few years, many attractions have been improved and provide educational, yet fun opportunities.

The Civil Rights Institue is newly opened with recordings from people who actually lived through the rough time of passage. Thronateeska Heritage has a new planetarium with equipment and programs only accessible here and at Yale University. Chehaw is one of only two accredited zoos in Georgia, the other being the Atlanta Zoo. The Riverquarium has educational exhibits and a wonderful park next to it where children can play or splash around in water, again similar to Atlanta. During the summer months there are movies in the park on huge screens. Our miniature golf park has added bowling lanes. One of churches is responsible for two wonderful movies about family values and choices. We have an outstanding Marine facility responsible for making armor for tanks in battle, which has been credited with saving many lives in the war zones.

What we don't have are snowy winters and traffic jams.

I believe it is possible to be happy or unhappy in any given place. Those of you who don't want to be here should leave. It's a sad thing to live in a place you dislike. The people I know are patriotic and love God and know Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior. We have a wonderful time and we're always looking for more people to come here. It is a great place to raise a family, start a business - or retire, for that matter. Come on down...we'll welcome you with open arms.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 AM
EVT

25 posts, read 85,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
I like Albany. While I live near Atlanta, I have friends in Albany and visit a few times a year and it seems nice. Maybe I just havent been to bad areas, idk, but the riverfront aquarium area is very nice.
One of my coworkers told me there was live music downtown near the riverfront the weekend before last, so I drove down there to find it around 10PM. I've found this to be a hard town to socialize in up to this point, but being a musician I thought maybe I could find some kindred spirits there.

As I was driving down Jackson street I had a guy throw a glass bottle at my car, fortunately only hitting my rear wheel and not causing any serious damage (only a slight scuff on the wheel).

Nice area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia